Parts are starting to pile up, so I guess I'd better start a build thread...
The car is a 91, and I'm swapping in a 1.8 engine for a turbo build. My power goals are ~225WHP/200WTQ. The suspension & brakes are resonably sorted out already. The car is one of two DD vehicles, and I don't have plans to use it for anything else at this time. Below is a summary of the intended build. I already have all parts, with the exception of the kit Lars is building. I've put an asterisk next to things that are already installed.
1.8 swap into 91
Mk turbo kit + oil lines + cat
ACT ZM1-HDSS 1.6 clutch
*F1 10 lb 1.6 flywheel
*FM VMAXX coilovers
*OEM front sway/no rear sway (60.5% FRC)
*Momo steering wheel
Competition motor mounts
*Stock brakes (carbotech rotors/hawk hps pads)
*15x7 Advanti storms
*1.8 TB w/VTPS (currently running modified 1.6 VTPS)
*Innovate WB O2
Flowforce 610 injectors
Mechanical boost gauge
*Odyssey PC680 battery
2.5” IC piping
Type S BOV plumbed as BPV
3” to 2.25” inlet
AEM dryflow filter 3”X5”
Dezums style air/oil separator
this is what the car looks like now
this is what the engine bay looks like now- wait- WTF?
This is a $4 hot air intake rescue. The car had the classic "CAI" sitting on top of the exhaust header when I bought it. The free.99 cowl induction beauty you see here is made from: old subie intake bits, a PP one gallon paint can wrapped in heat wrap, and a $4 piece of dryer exhaust.
This is the laguna blue & tan that died to make this swap possible. I scored the engine & torsen dif from this car. 102k miles.
After getting it home & degreasing it, I discovered that the rear 1/2 moon oil pan gasket was leaking. 1st time I've ever seen the pan gaskets go bad on a miata. So the pan came off, which at least means the oil return project will be pretty clean.
The CXracing IC. It has turbulators all the way through, but not super dense. Get what you pay for I guess.
I had an injector harness from a cali 93 with sequential injection. I hacked it up to build a EV14 PNP harness for the FF610's, as I'm converting my MS 9093 to support sequential injection when I do the swap. I soldered, heat shrunk, & wrapped the harness in super 33. If anyone thinks soldering these connections is a terrible idea, please advise.
I'm using a type S knockoff as a BPV. In trying to cut costs, I noticed that I could get a 3" pipe with a greddy flange for $17, while the same pipe with a simple hose barb was $34. Since I'm doing a coolant reroute, I recycled my thermostat housing & bolted it straight up to the greddy flange. Total cost for a recirculating BPV (minus some rad hose) $55.
more to come!