I have some air going over the intercooler. Both radiator and intercooler get fresh air. If there is too much going over, I will add a panel as a lip at the top of the intercooler to force more to go through.
This weekend will be my first real test. So far, I have had zero temp issues even with the AC on since installing the duct. I used to have temp issues during daily driving traffic without using the AC.
Today was a blast! The car ran flawlessly all day at Arroyo Seco Raceway in Deming. We ran counter clockwise. I beat on it like there was no tomorrow. I won both time attack events.
I ran a 59 sec on the short course and a 1:18 sec on the long course. A guy in a Corvette Z06 ran a 58 sec on the short course and 1:19 sec on the long course. In practice, he chased me down the straight and didn't catch me. After the session he told me "Damn! That miata is fcking fast! I was thinking, I'm gonna pass this guy and I couldn't catch you."
This weekend I installed an oil cooler. The cooler is a CXRacing 19 row unit. I found it on ebay for approx $53. The hoses are -10AN SS braided teflon and AN fittings from anfitingsdirect.com with vynil hose over them as sleeves. The sandwich plate is a generic one that I ported for better flow. I also added a VDO temp sender. I also have the VDO oil temp gauge but will install at a later time.
I placed the cooler in front of the radiator above the intercooler. The cooler is installed with 1/4" allthread rods with nuts to lock it in place. I also made a bracket to support the bottom.
I just read the whole of this thread. I love your attention to detail and patience. I always end up rushing things just to get the car on the road and your car is an inspiration to do things RIGHT. Props to you.
W00t! Fortunately, the engine and turbo setup are still going strong!
I upgraded to the latest Enhanced-DIYPNP from Reverant at MSLabs. The car has been sitting while customs has been taking their sweet time during shipment of the ECU for the upgrade. Once Reverant got the ECU he was done with the upgrade in less than a day.
Reverant provides a base map for the ECU, but I used my old map for a starting point for timing, fueling and the idle valve and I recalibrated my AFR table to the wideband. Once I had a solid idle then I could move on to tuning the rest of the fuel map.
Last weekend I went to a test and tune at the track and it went very well. I started with my base settings from the old map. I was able to make datalogs of 4th gear pulls to redline and AFRs are stable. I disabled EGO and TPS enrichment to get a solid fuel map and it was very easy to do. Once the map was smoothed and logged, i re-enabled them. I even hit a new top speed of 140 whereas it used to be 130MPH.
After the track tune, I decided to address some minor issues with AFRs and the idle valve at idle. I now have PID controlled EGO at idle, which works great! I lowered my TPS enrichment and now AFRs are spot on and AC idle up is rock solid. AFRs are sweet from hrottle blips from fuel cut overrun to cruise. I also have no more idle dip issues with AC on! Kudos to Reverant. Thanks again! I'm loving the ECU upgrade!
Next steps for this car are:
- Poly bushings
- 6 speed
- Wilwood BBK