So I have some time, thought I would update as I did a bit of work for this show. I'll refer to the pics above for the engine stuff.
In the engine bay, I ordered a Garage Star wiper cowl plate in brushed aluminum. I also fabbed up a new rad block-off plate out of an aluminum sheet and deleted the cutout for the stock hood latch as I no longer have it, then hit it with a scotch brite pad to give it that same brushed look as the Garage Star piece. I also replaced every nut in the engine bay with a SS acorn one, and any old nuts where an acorn couldn't be used with some new SS bolts. I wetsanded the engine bay as well with 1000 grit.
On the exterior, obviously I did a ton of wetsanding. Started with 800 on some of the rough spots, then 1000, 1500, 2000, followed up by rubbing compound and polishing compound with a buffer. After that a bit of wax. I ordered touch-up paint to fix the lip and a few small rock chips, but it didn't arrive in time, but yes I will be taking care of that.
Here's a shot I took after I did the rubbing compound with the buffer. I'm standing in the doorway of the garage, hence the tree in the reflection- not too shabby!
I also got a set of NB Zoom carbon fiber side mirrors. The mounting plates are different (bolt spacing is the same), but there is more than enough adjustment in the mirrors for them to work. So for anyone out there wondering, yes you can mount NB Zoom Engineering carbon fiber side mirrors on your NA and have them be functional.
Here's a shot of the mirrors, and also one of a sweet wooden MOMO wheel I recently picked up (reused my old horn button)
If you look closely in this pic at the HVAC controls, it looks like there is a carbon fiber trim piece. This is actually a piece of aluminum etched to look like carbon fiber. I bought it like 2 years ago, decided not to mount it, put it away somewhere safe and forgot all about it. I rediscovered it looking for something else the other day so I thought, hey why the hell not?
I also wrapped the 2 upper bars with electrical tape. Don't really like it, but it is better than the zip ties I had. Over the winter I'm going to have my wife sew up some canvas covers like what came on Jeeps from the factory.
On the front of the car, I decided to put the stock lights back in as it was supposed to rain Friday, and good thing too as we drove through a downpour pretty much the entire way down to Jersey. I decided to leave them in for the show too.
I also picked up a set of crap wheels with some almost new 225/45/15 NT-01s mounted on them. Bolted them up last night and went for a spin and my god do they grip!
Makes it looks like a complete sunken battleship, but they'll certainly do the trick. I signed up to do my first auto-x on the 30th with this thing; can't freaking wait.