So I've decided that waiting for a diff housing only to break it again was not really in the list of things I'd like to do. Ultimately I’d like to swap the Cobra rear end but that can happen over the winter.
I have not seen anyone repair a diff housing before and it's probably for a couple of good reasons:
1. They are cheap to replace.
2. It's cast aluminum rendering it rather weak and difficult to repair
So I shall repair. I started by simply cleaning up the area with a gasket removal bit.
Since this is 100% structural I used a grinding bit to bevel into the material for the best weld penetration.
There was also a hairline crack that I dug into for repair.
To strengthen the structure I’ve picked up aluminum plate to box in the I beam structure. This should leave the assembly stronger than before. You can see to begin; I’ve taken a flat file to create a flat mating surface for the new metal.
I’ll bring it to my guy tonight to have it welded up.
With that set aside, I tightened down my fuel rail and wanted to check my fuel system for leaks. I still needed to complete the return line by removing it from the “evap” canister thing and running it to the return tube on the tank.
This is a bit hard to explain but the smaller “return” line I’ve used was put in place for the EVAP system
, meaning it does not go to the return on the fuel tank. Instead it goes to a charcoal canister for filtering. So it must be disconnected and run to the fuel tank as a return line.
I’ve created this illustration to show exactly how the routing ended up. Where is my +1 naow. I didn't make this for me guys
And bam – We’ve got fuel.