The rings must be offset from each other, you'll notice each ring has an opening when it's installed (Because they are a C shape) and it's best to offset these openings from each other. Usually you don't want the openings over the middle of the skirt or the wrist pin. That way if fuel or oil were trying to pass by it would have to travel a longer distance in order to escape.
After the rods were mounted with their locks installed and the caps removed, double checking that the rings were installed and offset. I pulled out the ring compressor tool and prepared the pistons for installation by applying some assembly lube to the cylinder walls and taping off the tops of each piston. My pistons are coated so it's best to protect the finish with a couple pieces of painters tape.
I took the ring compressor and pressed it flush against the deck around the piston. Used the supplied tool to tighten the ring compressor and it seamlessly pressed the rings into their ring lands. After checking to see if all of the rings were indeed compressed I proceeded to tap them in using a wooden hammer as an extension and a rubber mallet for the blunt force. They should easily slide in with a few easy taps. If you notice strong resistance there is a problem- check that your ring compressor has compressed each of the rings and that the piston is not cocked or bound up.
Now that my pistons have been installed I pushed them about 1/2 the way down the cylinder and removed my protective tape (you can see it did it's job protecting these sexy slugs) Putting the pistons 1/2 way down should make for an easy install of the crank when I flip this thing over.
After I flipped her over I proceeded to install the oil jets. These are installed with a banjo bolt and some copper washers. These are torqued down at 105-156 inch lbs.
With my oil squirters installed and torqued, I set my bearings and thrust washers in place. The thrust washers are installed at the 4th main. Then I thoroughly lubed the bearings and my crankshaft contact surfaces. You'll know your bearings are in the right place because they have a hole in them that lines up with an oil feed hole in the main.
I had the crankshaft micro polished so she looks nice n shiny. A touch more lube and shes ready to set in. I took the rods and leaned them so that they would line up with my crank. 1-4 forward and 2-3 towards me.
I set the main caps on with their bearings + lube of course and then the rod caps in the same manner. A nice easy tap with a rubber mallet sets them pretty firm in place for the ARP hardware to be loosely installed. I snugged them up by jumping from bolt to bolt trying to get the clamp as evenly as possible but still not tightening them down with any force.
Everything looks good, she rotates nicely. I'll wait until tomorrow to torque this baby down.