Let's start with the rear mount situation. Why rear mount? Because I can and frankly I've run out of modifications that challenge me with this car.
I've been working closely with an aerodynamics engineer from GM on the execution of this project and he surprisingly didn't even attempt to talk me out of it. We're going to be venting up through the deck lid because it's a low pressure zone. I'll use two high CFM puller fans to aid in the cooling and AN lines to route the coolant to the rear.
A couple of beneficial factors come into play - It will clean up the bay quite a bit and lower under hood temps. This will also increase coolant volume to aid in cooling, restore some of the weight distribution to more useful areas of the car. But primarily it's just cool. The car is already pretty good at making people tilt their head and ask "WTF is in there?", this should take things up a notch.
I first needed to find a good spot for the radiator and keep one big thing in mind - Bleeding the system is going to be a whole new bag of worms.
To help with this, I've picked up a radiator with no fill neck and produced this little guy. It will sit at the highest point in the system and I'll fabricate an overflow in the trunk.
Next I mocked up positions for the KOYO and welded my AN fittings on.
At that point I jumped right into cutting out my trunk... This is a pretty rad feeling, (no pun intended) to just start chopping your spare tire area out of the car. After that was complete I needed a shroud that I'll bolt or weld into place.
Everything is looking solid, I'm happy with the position, happy with the routing. To add some variety to my day I jumped over to the deck lid. This hot air is going to need to vent near the center of my deck lid for the best exit into a low pressure area. My aero guy believes that the air exiting here will also aid in aerodynamics because it will help fill the low pressure pocket, giving the rear of the car the desired "tear drop" shape.
Cutting things that you only get one shot with is kind of my specialty. I usually don't measure twice because it psyches me out by over-thinking things. I mocked up these to get the shape correct.
According to my from the hip measurement, here is about where these will sit. Looks fine to me I suppose.
To get me started with the air saw and to help in corners I drilled some holes. I also applied masking tape to the other side so I didn't destroy the fiberglass by chipping.
Chopped them out and mocked it up. Looks alright to me. Now I needed to put some mesh in here. I can just imagine the next car show I go to, some kid decides to drop his burger into my trunk and my cooling fans act as a food processor..
I went with an aluminum mesh that's powdercoated. As expected, it came out great.
I also removed my latch and hinge system completely. I did this for a number of reasons. 1, my previously useless trunk space was not completely useless for storage so I won't be opening it as frequently. 2, the hinge system was jacked, the previous owner drilled new holes for the striker and nothing lined up properly.
I went with the same latching system I used for my front bumper.
, on Flickr
Here you can see the strikers and the piece of aluminum up top. Basically it functions by first sliding the back into the piece of aluminum and then closing the deck lid as it originally functioned but instead it locks into place with the latches.
Later this week the car is being dropped off for paint. I'd do it but I simply don't have time.