after 4 1/2 years of fail, fail baboon is looking for redemption in '012.
a brief history of fail
in a move to assure baking in as much fail as possible, car was an abandoned project which was then acquired through a lien sale. naturally we (codriver=papasmurf on ncr) missed the 7 day grace period with dmv to sort the paperwork and had to pay back fees to be able to register it. that 3 units of fail and the car isnt even home yet.
car is rough but it does run sort of. little bit rusty, little bit crashed 92 with a s13 sr20det. motor itself seems solid but the wiring is sketchy and it runs super lean even though all the hardware is stock. an old piggy fuel computer was offered up as a solution and we were able to finally drive it.
in quick succession, a fatcat suspension, 1.8 brakes, a tc design spec miata cage, nice seats (spg xl recaros)/harnesses were all added. after some deliberation a AIM mxl strada dash was ordered. first 6 mo of ownership were good. -1 unit of fail.
it turns out a working gas gauge can be a handy thing.
so after some reading, it turns out the fuel level sender in the miata is a pot which gives 5ohms on a full tank and 114ohms on an empty. fine, except that the AIM wants voltages. ok, i get it, that means a pullup resistor. so I read some more and there are freaks out there with like 100ohm pullup resistors. i guess they never ran the numbers to see what kind of current they are pulling through their gas tank.
I opt for a 12k resistor.
so now i have to figure out what voltages to feed the AIM setup software.
after some *** scratching and poo flinging i come up with these (in millivolt):
(12/(12000+114)*114)*1000 = 112.92
(12/(12000+114)*5)*1000 = 4.95
ok, seems to work. jumps around like crazy, but it works.
a 3.9 torsen is acquired but then progress grinds to a halt for basically the entire rest of the year.
another 6 months go by and diff got installed and and also managed to get the speedo to work, for no apparent reason than because we can. we had asked for abs axles when purchasing the diff and were able to put those to use with a hall effect sensor to feed the AIM
Sometime in '010 I managed to do a 3-2 misshift on the front straight at laguna. I've never misshifted before so I sat down and did some figgering. I guessed that the shifter placement was causing my arm to hit the seat and that was the reason I found 2nd when i was going for 4th
The trouble with the sr shifter is that it has a rubber bushing between the outer shell and the shaft. This means that if you heat up the thing to bend it the way you want you destroy the bushing. It had to be bent so i scraped out what was left of the rubber and poured a urethane bushing in its place. its a shore a 75 hardness and seems to be just about right. shifter position is perfect now, i was even able to shorten up the throw a little bit.