jtothawhat is about to bust a cap cause his engine aint done - Page 5 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #81
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 196
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post

Wow brain you spread the hateritis to reverant.

Tell me this reverbrain, for what build would you choose NOT to use a MS?
lol..
PatrickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #82
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,100
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

for a miata, doubtful I'd choose anything else. but the benefit outweighted the cost for jtothawhat.


and all i did was make fun of exclaimation points.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #83
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,352
Total Cats: 3
Default

Yes, plus flex fuel set up hasn't been perfected on a MS--or I have just yet to see anyone running it. ProEFI ecu is around the same price as a AEM w/o the flex fuel options, yet no one is giving people **** for running those.

Plus most Miata's on this site around under 300 whp where a MS is perfectly fine, 600 whp with the boost levels and such I will be running I don't think a MS is the best option.
jtothawhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #84
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 196
Total Cats: 0
Default

I think AEM and Haltech also make a good product for the miata. I have been pleased with the sprint 500.
PatrickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #85
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,352
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB View Post
I think AEM and Haltech also make a good product for the miata. I have been pleased with the sprint 500.
I never had a problem with my AEM, it was a great ECU. Haltechs are super extensive.
jtothawhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #86
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (10)
 
Reverant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 5,321
Total Cats: 182
Default

I've done two 400whp setups so far on MS2s, and the third one will be a 500whp setup (1.8/w VVT, 30psi on a garrett 3076, running water injection, cams, etc). Just debating whether to upgrade him to a MS3 (he was already running a MS2 on his 1.6/2560). I don't find any reason why not to use a Megasquirt on a 90-05 Miata.
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #87
Hear me Meow
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 1,971
Total Cats: 11
Default

I ran flex fuel on a MS2 once. Not on a miata though...
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #88
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 196
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
I've done two 400whp setups so far on MS2s, and the third one will be a 500whp setup (1.8/w VVT, 30psi on a garrett 3076, running water injection, cams, etc). Just debating whether to upgrade him to a MS3 (he was already running a MS2 on his 1.6/2560). I don't find any reason why not to use a Megasquirt on a 90-05 Miata.
Does it have a Can output? I am not super familiar with MS setups. I know that Retail the sprint 500 is costly but has some nice features like sequential injection and ignition can outputs etc. its not bad unit for the price. it is more costly then MS though.
PatrickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #89
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (10)
 
Reverant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 5,321
Total Cats: 182
Default

Yes, it has CAN, although its an MS-only CAN protocol. You can use the CAN to expand the digital/analog inputs/outputs etc. Obviously the MS2/MS2 have sequential injection and ignition.
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #90
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 909
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothawhat View Post
Pulling out a laptop and switching maps is kind of a half *** way to fix this problem due to you having to drain your tank each time, as well as, ethonal content changing from season to season and from pump to pump--your tune will never be spot on. (I thought of doing it this way, but was quickly told how bad of an idea it is)
Yep, that's me...good ole half ***.

Is the lap top and switching maps the best solution? Nope. But in will get you home safely, and that was my goal. The best solution? No. Half assed? certainly not. My car will only see boost with e-85, enough said there.

I am in for your build and hope you see huge numbers, and I certainly am not bashing your choice ecm's, ****...I know nothing about tuning, that's why I paid a shop to do it for me.

But a word to the wise, it is better to under promise and over deliver. Humility goes a long way. Whom do you think most enjoy seeing fail, the humble man that tries hard, or the chest thumper that is the greatest thing since sliced bread? 600 out of a 1.6...I will sit back and watch.
hingstonwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #91
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,352
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingstonwm View Post
Yep, that's me...good ole half ***.

Is the lap top and switching maps the best solution? Nope. But in will get you home safely, and that was my goal. The best solution? No. Half assed? certainly not. My car will only see boost with e-85, enough said there.

I am in for your build and hope you see huge numbers, and I certainly am not bashing your choice ecm's, ****...I know nothing about tuning, that's why I paid a shop to do it for me.

But a word to the wise, it is better to under promise and over deliver. Humility goes a long way. Whom do you think most enjoy seeing fail, the humble man that tries hard, or the chest thumper that is the greatest thing since sliced bread? 600 out of a 1.6...I will sit back and watch.
I resend my statement of being half-***, what I mean was not the best solution. I also do not know **** about tuning which is why a shop is doing the tuning for me as well, 600 whp? Well it's just a goal, will I make it? Who knows, like I said before anything over mid 500s whp on a Mustang will make me happy. I cannot promise anything, only base off my numbers off my last and the improvements I am making to my new set-up.
jtothawhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #92
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 909
Total Cats: 14
Default

IMO the largest limiting factors will be intake manifold and head flow. Interested to see your solutions in these areas.
hingstonwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #93
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,352
Total Cats: 3
Default

Well I have an after market intake manifold I think it's around 3L, and I have a CNC race port with bowl bending and all that stuff. My head is going to be the limiting factor, but CEO made around 900 whp on a BP head so, it can be done.
jtothawhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #94
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,185
Total Cats: 748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post

Wow brain you spread the hateritis to reverant.

Tell me this reverbrain, for what build would you choose NOT to use a MS?
A diesel.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #95
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Faeflora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,763
Total Cats: 115
Default



Wut? I thought ceo made 800. Also what was his turbo?
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #96
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,352
Total Cats: 3
Default

Yeah 800-900 whp somewhere around there, either way anything is possible if you have enough money, and time on your hands. He was running some huge Turbonetics turbo I think K series I believe. His power band was pretty bad, and it was super peaky at the top. Oh well, I should also have updated manifold pictures this weekend, Abe said he is starting on it.
jtothawhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #97
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: albany, ga
Posts: 1,869
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothawhat View Post
Yes, plus flex fuel set up hasn't been perfected on a MS--or I have just yet to see anyone running it. ProEFI ecu is around the same price as a AEM w/o the flex fuel options, yet no one is giving people **** for running those.

Plus most Miata's on this site around under 300 whp where a MS is perfectly fine, 600 whp with the boost levels and such I will be running I don't think a MS is the best option.
which AEM, the new one?

proefi is atleast 1000+ and 2200 for the pro128
Techsalvager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #98
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,352
Total Cats: 3
Default

Well my whole package was $2,250 the 128 box was an extra $350 dollars. AEMs are $1350 +/- for the version 2.

If you got a proEFI 48 with out the flex fuel option it would be around $1,550.
jtothawhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #99
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,352
Total Cats: 3
Default


It has begun!!!

Last edited by jtothawhat; 04-26-2011 at 03:20 AM.
jtothawhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:32 AM   #100
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southlake,Texas
Posts: 3,250
Total Cats: 17
Default

Pic fail
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 52 08-28-2016 05:18 AM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Changing from 460cc to flow force 610cc in diypnp 90 Turbo MEGAsquirt 19 10-19-2015 04:23 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 AM.