So almost 3 years since I've updated this. I've had the car for 4 years now and resisted the urge to seriously modify it. I've done some things here and there:
- Pieced together an 11" Wilwood BBK for a fraction of the retail price, doing this at the same time that the 11.75" kit came out helped a lot.
- Swapped around a few intake and exhaust setups
- Installed a BP5A intake cam
- Did a few interior/comfort mods (Eclipse vents, radio/speakers, RevLimiter gauges, etc.)
- Installed FM frame rails
- Removed the Bilstein PSS coilovers in favor of a Tein Flex 9/6kg setup
In late 2012 I was stopped in a right turn only lane and the driver in front of me decided to throw his truck in reverse to go straight instead. He ended up parking the back end of his truck on my hood. Claimed he couldn't see me but I could see his face clearly in two of his mirrors. Regardless, I ultimately ended up with enough money to get a full repair/repaint + a hardtop, so it all worked out.
After all that, I've mostly just driven it to and from work and whatnot. However, one evening not too long ago I was discussing V8 swaps with my wife and how I had basically written one off for a couple years when she surprised me and told me that I should just install a turbo for the meantime. I didn't give her a chance to change her mind.
I've pieced together quite a few "budget" kits and while I thought about going that route again, I realized this time I wanted new parts and didn't want to take the time to chase parts down, so I ordered a kit directly from FM. Since my car was used as a test mule by DIYAutoTune for the 99-00 MSPnP Gen2 I decided to get one of those as well. In the meantime I'm utilizing a Voodoo box and enjoying 8psi (don't kill me). It has its limits but it does work well for this power level and it plays well with the stock ECU so I can have boost and pass yearly OBDII emission checks. The MS is going in as soon as I have a chance to order larger injectors and have the time to properly tune it.
So over the course of two weekends, I pulled the engine/transmission, did the timing belt and seals, installed a lightly used FM Happy Meal, MSM engine mounts, and installed the turbo kit. The related project pictures follow.
Last shot of the "before" engine bay:
After getting the engine out, the first order of business was removing the old exhaust manifold studs, a few put up a fight, but that didn't last long:
New vs. old (new from MiataRoadster):
New studs installed and torqued:
Started working on the timing belt and such, front of the engine was still a bit dirty:
So I cleaned it up, it helps seeing when something might be wrong. I also coated the cam gears:
New timing belt and seals installed and the covers reinstalled, along with new MSM engine mounts:
Cleaned up and coated the upper half of the subframe, it had some missing coating which had surface rusted, along with the entrance to the transmission tunnel. Can't always see it, but it's there:
Meanwhile I got the hotside parts ceramic coated, more so for long term aesthetics:
Installed the manifold:
And then hung the turbo:
Stage 8 & inconel hardware between the manifold and turbo and and Nord-Lock washers for the rest:
This is the FM coldside piping with their prototype Throttle Body Inlet Elbow. The IAT port and blow-off/bypass valve are all integrated into the silicone pipe. There's a short 3" coupler in between the lower pipe and elbow:
IAT port, will come in handy when the MS goes in:
Slightly used FM Happy Meal going in, starting with the 10.3 lb flywheel:
The rest of the clutch:
All buttoned up and ready to install in the engine bay:
Engine in the bay:
Hotside all buttoned up. I splurged for the FM hardlines with the kit and also got the Fab9 COP kit:
Everything installed along with an AutoEXE brace. This brace has the brake master cylinder stopper on it, which I had rewelded to the correct location for USDM cars and it makes a noticeable difference:
Also got my FM Shroud and SPAL fans installed, I also linked the trigger wires so no matter which fan is coming on both fans run:
Front bumper trimmed for the intercooler piping and installed, the Fab9 intercooler is black and hides very well in the mouth. It is more visible in person but still pretty well hidden:
One thing I definitely want to tackle is adding more shrouding so the heat exchangers are as efficient as possible. The car is in no danger of overheating in general daily driving or long drives or even Mitty parade laps, but I know it can be better.
All of this was done in time for The Mitty, so my car got to hang out at the FM tent with Whiskers, the Catfish kit car:
That's it for now. Heck of a long update, thanks for reading if you made it!