I took a little time off from the miata to do an SR20DET swap into a friend's 240SX in my garage. That turned into a three week(end) job but I'm very happy with the end result and so is the owner so that's good.
With that car finally out of my garage last week I decided to build a new bench and cabinet set and get to work on some interior pieces. I've always liked the look and comfort of a shorty console. My miata formerly did not run any center console garnish and as such looked like crap. I decided to fix that.
My main issue with all of the shorty consoles is that they eliminate the cupholders and as a fat American I want somewhere to put my red bull dammit! The solution of course is to make something of my own.
I started with a spare center console and cut it down on my bandsaw:
Then I took some depron foam and used hot glue to mock it up into the shape I wanted.
Not shown is that I actually did the mockup on the back of the console and then broke the hot glue loose.
Skipping a few steps here, I realized that the cupholder insert would be very tall on the back side and rub against my arm so I cut it down and used some fiberglass to re-angle it.
Here a horrible picture of the depron foam mold being covered with a layer of fiberglass mat.
First trial fit in the car, the cupholder has some body filler on it and the console has been sanded a bit.
More epoxy and more sanding later and the shape is starting to emerge.
There's actually not a lot of filler that went into this. Most of the work was with spot putty filling pinholes since obviously I didn't go to a lot of trouble to get the glass cloth spot on.
Both parts with a layer of wrinkle paint in place
I'm very happy with how the finished product came out. There's still a few things left to do: The window switches are going to be relocated to the area behind the cupholders, the tombstone needs to be finished in the same wrinkle paint as the console, and then I have to decide if I even like the finish. Its a bit shinier and texture-ier than I would really like but I haven't found a good way to replicate a stock "grain" in paint. I've considered sanding to a smooth finish and covering everything in a 3M carbon fiber wrap or even a hydrodip but again I'm not sure if that's the finish I want to go for. The modern "dry carbon" wrap material looks incredible but I just don't know if it would be too much.