Rebuild all the salvage Miatas! ASS! - Page 65 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #1281
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 14,852
Total Cats: 937
Default

Ebay special ftw
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #1282
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 14,852
Total Cats: 937
Default

Also where did you get the 3.63 r&p
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #1283
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (24)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 11,637
Total Cats: 463
Default

First off, you never want to run a gutted thermostat, it's a poor bandaid that doesn't fix any problems, just creates extreme wear on your engine internals until you're up to operating temps, which will be about 4-5 laps in.

TSE, 949, or Koyo are all great name brand radiators. Properly duct and reroute the engine, and you won't have any issues with cooling. I'd wager the TSE radiator is over kill until 300ish hp in our weather, maybe even more.

Brian and Jeff both have near or over 300hp, I think Brian has an Ebay radiator, and Jeff has a TSE radiator. Neither have issues cooling. All depends on what you do with it.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #1284
I take big bites
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,000
Total Cats: 409
Default

You're right, i never did want to run it gutted. Just kept having thermostats fail or not let water through when trying to dyno so we gutted it and did the best we could. PProbably had air bubbles, drilled a hole in the last one and it worked perfectly.

Two problems with 949's rad: no A/C compatibility and sold out. Probably will have more by march he said but I still feel like I want A/C. Will have to think about this some more, but I found an eBay radiator with a 52mm core for $137 shipped. Prob will give that a shot.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:58 PM   #1285
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 14,852
Total Cats: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
You're right, i never did want to run it gutted. Just kept having thermostats fail or not let water through when trying to dyno so we gutted it and did the best we could. PProbably had air bubbles, drilled a hole in the last one and it worked perfectly.

Two problems with 949's rad: no A/C compatibility and sold out. Probably will have more by march he said but I still feel like I want A/C. Will have to think about this some more, but I found an eBay radiator with a 52mm core for $137 shipped. Prob will give that a shot.
Cxracing? Thats the one I got for 137. Love it.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #1286
I take big bites
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,000
Total Cats: 409
Default

Yup CXRacing. Interesting to know about Brian's car. In the old posts when TSE's rad was being developed it seemed everyone with a Koyo 55 was overheating, but it's just not that hot here.

Will probably go with that CXRacing. If it proves to not be enough when iI add the powers then I'll worry about it then.

I got the 3.63 off Guttedmiata. Won't use it for a while bit was a deal I had to snag.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #1287
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 14,852
Total Cats: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
Yup CXRacing. Interesting to know about Brian's car. In the old posts when TSE's rad was being developed it seemed everyone with a Koyo 55 was overheating, but it's just not that hot here.

Will probably go with that CXRacing. If it proves to not be enough when iI add the powers then I'll worry about it then.

I got the 3.63 off Guttedmiata. Won't use it for a while bit was a deal I had to snag.
With the reroute I can't get my car over 180 even when doing 40+ boost redline pulls in a row. Cxracing ftw
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #1288
I take big bites
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,000
Total Cats: 409
Default

We also haven't had a day over 55°since you installed the turbo
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:18 PM   #1289
Elite Member
 
Jeffbucc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cedar City, UT
Posts: 2,769
Total Cats: 946
Default

My old radiator did pretty damn good and I never really overheated with it even with temps southern Utah saw. I'll ship it for a steal if you want to run it as a cheaper solution till something you like comes into play.

Only reason I upgraded is because I didn't want to have to worry about it ever again.
Jeffbucc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #1290
I take big bites
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,000
Total Cats: 409
Default

Thanks a ton Jeff. I'd take you up on it but everyone lists different fitments for the NB, so I don't believe it would fit my application. Sure wish it would though.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #1291
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 13,402
Total Cats: 835
Default

I met a guy at ORP a couple of years ago who was complaining about overheating with a Koyo 55 in his SM. He swapped to one of our 76mm units and didn't have any further issues. A/C compatible as well for NA and NB.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #1292
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 14,852
Total Cats: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
We also haven't had a day over 55°since you installed the turbo
Touché
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #1293
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Mobius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,782
Total Cats: 205
Default

Brian was running FM's crossflow radiator, but is now running a different one. Not sure which.
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #1294
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 683
Total Cats: 27
Default

Brian's FM crossflow took a ****, he has an ebay radiator... Ill be running an ebay radiator until the 949 one is back in stock. Aiden, I would wager to bet that I could get you car to overheat in 4-6 laps on track pretty damn easily on a hot summer track day.
greddygalant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #1295
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 14,852
Total Cats: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddygalant View Post
Brian's FM crossflow took a ****, he has an ebay radiator... Ill be running an ebay radiator until the 949 one is back in stock. Aiden, I would wager to bet that I could get you car to overheat in 4-6 laps on track pretty damn easily on a hot summer track day.
I don't doubt it, I lack good ducting right now. Were you overheating with the MSM setup?

But if Ed is N/A then the ebay rad should work until the 949 is back in stock.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #1296
I take big bites
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,000
Total Cats: 409
Default

If I buy the eBay rad I'm running it indefinitely. If I'm buying the 949 rad I'll just wait til they're back in stock, expected in March and I don't really think I'll be needing it before then. Plenty to do before I need a radiator.

I really think I'm just gonna go eBay and see if it's enough with ducting. If not, I'll buy something better. Would like the option to keep A/C but hell I don't know.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #1297
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 14,852
Total Cats: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
If I buy the eBay rad I'm running it indefinitely. If I'm buying the 949 rad I'll just wait til they're back in stock, expected in March and I don't really think I'll be needing it before then. Plenty to do before I need a radiator.

I really think I'm just gonna go eBay and see if it's enough with ducting. If not, I'll buy something better. Would like the option to keep A/C but hell I don't know.
You have a convertible, A/C is unnecessary and heavy
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #1298
I take big bites
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,000
Total Cats: 409
Default

That's what everyone keeps saying but you can bet your unicorn ******* I wish I had A/C on my way to/from laguna seca in september.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #1299
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 14,852
Total Cats: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
That's what everyone keeps saying but you can bet your unicorn ******* I wish I had A/C on my way to/from laguna seca in september.
Was your hardtop on?
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #1300
I take big bites
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,000
Total Cats: 409
Default

No. But top down in 90 degree weather is not fun for more than an hour or so. Then windburn/sunburn sets in. I ended up putting the top back up and running windows down after like 3 hours top down. This resulted in ridiculous amounts of wind noise... and sadness. Definitely sadness.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM
First Miata Rhidell Meet and Greet 1 09-27-2015 10:42 AM


Tags
arborist, ass yo, can your honda do this, dat dent do, drift king, hoonigan, mad torque steer, putty in our hands, raced srt-4...lost, squirrel!, ti curse, tis but a scratch!, tokyo drift, turbo spooled, vtek kicked in (again) yo, vtek kicked in yo, wtf is wrong with me?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 AM.