Potted history of the red fleet...
First was a '91 bought in 2009.
Amongst other bolt on mods, tried the make the suspension work but it didn't really, too low, too much rake, too stiff and horrible.
Bit of a bingle so we gave painting a go. Acrylic and it turned out fair but a bit of orange peal. Decided I loathe painting, way too many fumes.
Still got to eat!
Loved the Artworks Dewa stuff so had to have ones that popped up
The most significant thing for me with this car was a fantastic road trip Brisbane to Melbourne and back. I diverted us through an extensive twisty path over a week and it was driving bliss. Cemented my love for the roadtrip and for driving MX5's allllllllll day.
Upon return my friend was finally convinced he should have one, so early 2011 he bought me an NA8 with aircon (roadtrip was the height of summer and the lack of aircon was front of mind) and the NA6 went to him.
Paint on the NA8 was not outstanding, and motor turned out to be not so great so swapped it and the interior which was a bit crap too.
By this time the business I worked for had sold the company and shut down the work here, and we ran away with an outstanding deal on the two post hoist we used to film underneath cars, so life in the garage became infinitely better.
Sometime in there another friend moved back from the US and bought himself a turbo NA6 we know as the Turbonator.
I was able to do more trackdays at this point. Added Yellowspeed coilovers which were fine on track but horrible on the road.
The NA6 had become a trackday car with some better suspension, big brakes and a Kaaz diff, but wasn't getting driven very often.
Last year got to hit the road again for a week or so. MCA coilovers made the car a lot better on the road and still pretty good on track but not a stiff setup. Exhintake mod for funsies.
Set a cracking time of about 7m30s at Mount Panorama.
Things were going well with the car. It only failed me one time blowing a spark plug out on the freeway not too far from home.
Last year I prepared for some major activities... bought an LSD, cams for the VVT motor that had been laying around two years, an Adaptronic and Wideband and a second set of wheels for the sticky stuff... I was going to get **** done.
Instead I experienced the first proper binning at the track.
A bit disheartened but didn't dally about and bought into the considerable upgrade that is the current car. Hooray!
Convinced Josh that he's never going to drive the NA6 enough to keep it as a road car, and that we should merge the bits from the NA8 and the VVT motor into the big braked NA6, so I'll get to that as soon as I can stop having to fix the turbonator all the time.