ran my last n/a track day yesterday. set new records on this course as its the first time ive done it since the last round of wheel, tire and suspension changes. it was a great day and the car felt solid. now that ive got my tire pressures dialed in and i actually remembered to set them all cold, the car was as nuetral as ever and became much easier to push to the limit and correct when going slightly over the limit.
a lot of things are going wrong with this car in a hurry though. just in time to tear it down for turbo and fix it all!
things that have happened/noticed in the last 48 hrs
1. saturday i noticed the slightest coolant weep at the rear of the head. it disappeared sunday.
2. on sunday the coolant weep was replaced with a pretty good oil leak at the back of the head. after every run i would have a small puddle around spark plug 4 on top of the valve cover. coil packs are getting soaked.
3. engine is still burning lots of oil. 1 qt/ 100 miles
4. while griding for my last run sunday, a noise developed right when you revved the engine just above idle, like an exhaust rattle
5. at the track there was a slight strange clicking noise/sensation (felt through the floor) when you would back up with the wheel turned, only about half way to lock. after the last run it intensified and now does it while turning and backing up and while braking right when the car comes to a stop and the chassis settles. i have no idea what this is and cant find anything loose.
6. on the way home from the track sunday, it developed a slight miss at idle. see #2 for possible cause.
7. when i was bringing the engine up to temp this morning for comp test, it started leaking coolant from the upper hose. the hose was harder (more pressurized) than i think it should be which (along with the spark plug below) makes me wonder about a possible blown head gasket.
i did a comp test this morning, which in combination with the way plug number 4 looks, i think reveals that cylinder 4 is probably where most of the oil is going.
engine was warmed up, throttle held wide open. data set of one, too lazy to do an average.
1. 158 psi
2. 150 psi
3. 163 psi
4. 168 psi
plug 1 and 2 were clean, this was plug number 4:
it doesnt have that many miles on it...
3 looked kind of in between 1 and 4. notice all the white deposits. as i understand this is from oil or fuel additives. i thought it could be caused by coolant maybe from a weak head gasket. not sure. this may also be the cause of my #4 rattle, as it could actually be pinging i suppose from the oil in the combustion chamber.
im almost positive i need valve seals, and with 160k its likely the guides may be worn as well. i think im going to pull the head, have it checked out and replace the valve seals at a minimum. i was going to replace seals while it was on the car, but with all this, i might as well just pull it and make life easy. it needs all the other seals anyway. and i can get a peak at the cylinders.
i decided before i do that, i want to make sure my questionable eBay injectors are going to work. so i installed those this morning.
my megasquirt laptop died, so i need to transfer all the files to its replacement and dial in req fuel, etc.
i coned toyota into sending me a boost emblem