03-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Total Cats: 0
After some research
Im ready to start putting my Turbo kit together.
Let me know if I'm on the right track here.
A friend of mine at work gave me his Td04 that has about 30k miles on it. It looks good, and he has had no problems with it he just upgraded his WRX and exchange for towing his car up to the tuner he gave me his turbo.
After reading several threads on here it looks like a TD04 will work but it looks like I'll have to fabricate some parts. I plan on building it in stages. I have already put on 16" rims, and bigger brakes. Additionally, I also installed a new heavy duty clutch. My end stage goal is to have a 220 RWHP on pump gas c but I will do that over a 2 year period. That way I can build, learn , build learn etc.
So,First off I was going to go for 5 lbs of boost w/o an intercooler
Here is what I was planning on for this:
1)Mega squirt from Corkey. I believe that system will take me a far as I want to go.
2) New fuel pump, figured this one is a little old and car would best be served by replacing
3) Exhaust manifold: this will be a bit tricky since I can't seem to find one that will match the TD04. One of my employees at work can weld and fabricate. I figured I could use a manifold that has a round outlet, cut off the flange, then weld on a new flange, drill and tap the new wholes to match. If anyone knows of a place that sells the exhaust manifolds that will fit a TD04 please let me know I could not find one.
4) Down pipe: looks like there a lot of WRX 3" down pipes out there so I figured I could get one of them, then, if I need to bend it and cut it to fit I would do that. ( pipefather I read your thread what did you use?)
5) Intake: w/ BOV, figured E bay special for this.
6) Odds and ends: boost gauge, air to fuel ratio gauge, intake temp. Gaskets, additional piping for exhaust.
Further down the road I'll go to 3" exhaust and intercooler.But thats another day.
I have spent several hours reading the DIY threads and various build threads. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.