Ok heres everything. Every variable that I know of and the whole thing so everyone can disect this and discuss it with ALL the info on my end available.
When I bought the car, it had 19k original miles on it. Within the first two weeks, i was already pushing for what I have now. I started out with lots of reading here and elsewhere, coupled with what I already know about Turbocharging etc. etc.
Started out with wanting to get rid of the Bog and did what alot of other people did so I bought the full FM intake kit with the 02 modifier. I also bought the common ebay intercooler upgrade. Ive been a customer of Flyin Miata for a few years and they have always produced some of the best products for our cars, and have one of the nicest, most knowledgable, helpful staff yet to be experienced for me (dont worry Bell, I love you guys too lol). So with that, I started on the commonly traveled route for the majority of folks. (End FM, Begi love lol)
I loved the intake and all but I wanted more. I still had my bog issues and lean spikes with the stock ecu and my injectors werent that great. My fuel pump was also starting to crap out on me so that needed to be addressed. My stock exhaust also was way too quiet and restrictive for my taste. So It was time for more reading and designing.
Call me crazy, but I love challanges. I wanted to do something different in the hopes that it would provide another avenue of successful, safe, and enjoyable power and driveability. Im not a person of alot of financial means so DIY is really my only, and if i had the choice, my only desired option.
I found the joys of unplugging the TPS and kept it unplugged only to realize that may AFR went way rich as in 11-11:5 in just normal cruising but it DID completely get rid of my bog so I took the trade off of driveability with lower gas mileage. I looked for ways increase the fuel mileage and achieved that but ill get to that in a bit.
I saw how people had gotten more boost out of tapping into the brake booster line. I tried that and it wasn’t worth it as my car didn’t do much with it so I bought a MBC.
The car was feeling much better and seemed like now I was getting somewhere. I bought an Aem Uego to monitor things because from this point on, I wanted to increase boost.
I tried the boost cut bypass zener diod mod and heres where things got interesting. After installing everything as per the write ups on here, I realized that my car just didn’t take to the mod at all. It started bucking and jerking like crazy throwing my afrs all over the place. After ordering a different set of diods, I got even worse results. So after taking the diods out for the second time, out of aggrevation, I turned the boost up on the MBC and floored the car. Low and behold, and I still don’t know how it happened, my boost cut was gone! I have no boost cut at all. The ecu I guess somehow decided to eliminate it after the failed zener diode attempts. I took that as a blessing and moved on lol.
I had the stock exhaust and cat out all the way up to just close to the turbo. I had 3 inch piping made all the way out to the muffler. After 2 mufflers, I decided I missed my old rotary roots and the noise so I had the muffler cut out and a high flow cat installed to keep the fuel odor down. I also got rid of all of my emissions stuff, egr included, and enjoyed the cleaner engine bay.
I wanted to see what my car was making power and torque wise to I went to get the car dyno’d
At this point my mods where:
FM intake, throttlebody inlet tube, 02 mod, GFB recirc. bov, Cxracing intercooler, custom 3inch exhaust, Turbo xs MBC @ 10 psi, supra 305cc injectors, walbro 190 fuel pump
This was my dyno vid from that day
YouTube - 04 MSM dyno run
I made 210rwhp at 198 pb ft of torque. Not bad but I wanted more, plus I was getting pinging as my IAT’s were way to hot. AND THIS WAS ON A DYNOJET.
Moving on I was beginning to see that I couldn’t afford a Hydra, or bigger turbo so I figured what could I do to maximize spool, torque, MPG, drivability, cooling efficiency, and power. I decided that to combat some of those things, I wanted to do a V-mount setup and coolant reroute. I figured if I wanted to get more than the usual results, that I need to go more than the usual route to get there.
So after all that was done, I had the boost turned up to 13psi and I wasn’t too comfortable with 12:9 afrs at WOT. I wanted a little extra cushion safety wise so I bought an AEM water meth kit. Best thing I could have ever bought. I turned the boost up to 15psi and after fiddling with the different jets, im using the largest one now. My afrs sit right at 11:5-3 at wot to redline in 5th and sixth.
So I come to the present. My mods and the way the car sits as of now:
1. No boost cut
3. Meth (largest jet in the AEM kit)
4. Full 3inch exhaust
5. Walbro 190 fuel pump
6. Custom Vmount setup
7. Fully enclosed chanel ducting on the bottom
8. Ducting on top of the intercooler integrated into the hood vent
9. 305cc supra injectors
10. Coolant reroute
11. Swirl pot/ header tank
12. Cold cold cold iats now especially when I mix ice in the tank with chilled meth
14. CxRacing aluminum radiator
15. Custom AC lines with a working ac unit
16. Fully shrouded stock fans on the rad
17. AEM Uego
18. Autometer boost and water temp gauges
19. MMR Solid motor mounts
20. Ebay turbo outlet pipe
And I think that’s it.
The day I dyno’d then outside temps were around 78 degrees. It was a Dynocom dyno. I have a boost leak on top of that.
And that’s it as far as I can remember.