picked up this '95 NA 1.8 yesterday. Pretty standard car (no power windows: bummerrrr), but drives & shifts great. Although the power of the 1.8 already is not enough for me
About 8000 miles ago a revised 1.8 engine went in. Already was a 1.8 car.
Decent paint / body
papers / decent proof of the engine swab "missing"... I trust seller tho.
no power windows
some rust at the left wheel well
previous owner smoked...
Bit "wobbly" when breaking
So, I have been looking for a good Miata for a year now. Bought this cause I could get a decent deal. Actually was looking for a 1.8 that was more flawless bodywise, but I gues this is good enough. My plan is around 200 hp at the wheels. The car will mainly be used as a daily driver. Budget: around US$4000,-, but less is more!
Some newby questions that I hope some of you guys can help me out with:
- is there any coding on the engine that I can look at to check if it indeed is a 1.8 etc?
- I have been looking at the FM Voodoo II kit. Seems top take me right to where I wanna be at 200 hp. However; quite expensive. Is there a cheaper way to install this GT2560R and get the same result?
- I plan on doing the installation myself, with some help of my brother. Between the two of us we have some experience car-wise. How many hours is a pretty standard non professional install of this kit, any ideas? I can ask FM abviously, but perhaps some people here have done it.
- Power windows: any recommandations on a good kit that is not a nightmare to install...?
- The rust issue.... Any thoughts? I want to brush it all off and that prime it, if anything stays to prime.. Wanna stay away from welding in new parts since I don't wanna paint anything...
- suspension: haven't been studying the suspension mods that will lower the car a bit and give it a bit more stiffness. Will be browsing the internet later for that. Any tips welcome though!
- roll bar... I'ld like to put one in that will still make the hard top fit over (our winters are cold...). How much of a hassle is it to install one?
Thanx a lot for any tips / suggestions!
(And my other ride (different for sure, not to suetable for boosting):