Please allow me to step into the excuse zone for a minute..
I am a terrible welder, horrible fabricator, a master procrastinator, king of the unfinished projects, a jack of all trades and a master of none, and have my hands fairly full between working a full time job and attempting to rehab a house I bought last August. Bought my first and only Miata in 2005 for $3000.00 and have mostly enjoyed owning it with a dream one day of installing a turbo yet my quest has been full of fail. I've failed, my car has failed, and the world has failed. Three engines, one supercharger, and a lot of blood sweat and tears later, I can finally say "Success!" Well, Sort of..
On a random craigslist search for a GoPro Hero3 video camera I came across someone on craigslist selling what appeared to be an SSAutoChrome manifold and downpipe for $50.00 with the claim it was cracked in a crash. After exchanging some emails I met this homeless looking "drifter" dude (who had THE shittiest looking Laguna Blue miata I've EVER seen) and exchanged my hard earned freshly printed ten dollar bills for one cracked SSAutoCrap manifold and effed up downpipe. Quick phone call to my brother (professional welder by trade) and the manifold was drilled and welded back up however my turbo was incompatible because of the turbine outlet flange.. Mine is 4 bolt, the downpipe is for a 5 bolt. Long story short, ordered a chinacharger from ebay, cut the flange off and the downpipe in half, bolted everything together and tacked the flange and pipe back together in preparation for final weld. Naturally the wastegate tube on the downpipe didn't even come close to lining up with my Tial, so instead of doing what I should have and ordered an internally gated turbo, I cut the wastegate tube off the downpipe and assisted with fabrication of a new one.
Here it is, in all of it's
I had off Wednesday and Thursday (3rd/4th July) and put in 9 hours total between the two days working on installing all of my parts. Finally got to start it Saturday evening, verified the turbo had oil flowing, no coolant leaks, closed the hood up and went for a test-n-tune. Running Paul's Timing map (which might not be a good idea...) and started with the VE table from a similar turbo'd miata for a base.
Car: 1995 C-Package
Motor: Stock 1996, head studs and new gasket
Head: Stock 1995
Cooling system: Stock radiator, bad DIY reroute (Godspeed aluminum radiator on order)
Manifold: SSAutoCrack nothitblock model
Turbo: T3/T04E, .50 A/R Cold Side, Ind: 1.99" (57.75mm), Exd: 3" (73.55mm), Trim: 48.9, Turbine Wheel .63 A/R Hot Side, Ind: 2.56" (52.76mm), Exd: 2.2" (75.46mm)
Wastegate: Tial 38mm, 10psi spring
Intercooler: CXRacing 28x7x2.5 (Have a giant Vibrant to install eventually)
Plumbing: Flyin'Miata Silicone IC pipes
BOV: Ebay special that doens't work
Exhaust: "Custom" (lol) open downpipe, have 3" stainless Enthuza to install eventually
ECU: Megasquirt v2.2, HR10
O2: AEM UEGO
Ignition: Toyota COPs
Injectors: RC550s (ID coming in the future)
Fuel pump: Walbro 255lph
Fuel Rail: Stock
Transmission: 1999 6-speed
Clutch: Spec Stage III
Rear end: Stock 4.10 Torsen
Wheels: 949 6ul 15x9
Tires: Hankook R-S3
Brakes: "Brembo" rotors, OEM pads
Suspension: Tien Monoflex, "Big" RB hollow front sway, RB sway frame brace and blocks, TrackDog adjustable endlinks
After about 2 hours of tuning on Saturday I finally got the ***** to get on it a bit and nearly **** my pants! Little over 1/2 throttle pull in second gear produced 13psi and a serious loss of traction. After more driving and one or two more heavy throttle loads I've got the highway and cruise tune dial in nice, just need a lot more fuel work in boost.
"Don't mean to sound like a queer or anything, but I love you guys." I might come across like a huge douche on this board quite often, and sometimes I am, quite honestly I'm humbled and very grateful for everyone on here. Without the vast amount of information in the wiki, archive, searchable threads, and people answering my idiotic questions this never would have happened.
In another 8 years I'll start on phase 2: Carillo 9:1 Pistons, Belfab h-beam rods, ID injectors, E85, Finish building manifold/downpipe, Garrett T2 framed v-band turbo.
Will post more pictures later, currently killing some time at the end of my day job..