I have been wrestling with a problem with the Emanage in the circuit, but not when it is bypassed. I want to thank all those people here and on other sites that have offered exchange parts for ignition and ECU swaps. It seems I have been able to find and correct the problem.
First; the problem. It started about a year ago when at high speed I got one episode of bucking and I could either accelerate under boost, or take my foot totally off the gas. Trying to hold a steady speed would just slam the drive train back and forth. The WBO2 read very rich. It could have been flooding or misfire.
I could find nothing wrong and it did not re-occur for months. Then, on a long trip at high speed this spring, it came back. I bypassed the Emanage completely, opened my wastegate, bumped up my timing and drove the rest of the weekend NA.
Since that trip, I have been chasing the problem every day. Thanks to TurboTim, I was able to swap out the injection parts and rule that out. I chased differences in voltage between the Emanage outputs and ECU outputs to no avail.
EDIT: Note the problem worsened recently to a point that the idle was "hunting" and it would sometimes stall at idle with Emanage attached, but zeroed out.
Today I found the problem
This is what I posted on the Emanage group:
I'm publishing this because I think I found the root of all my
problems(at least with the Emanage). It is working now and it might be
beneficial to others to know the story.
I had tested almost everything according to the workshop manual,
ignitor, coils, injectors, etc including the AFM, but today decided to
rip the AFM apart to look at it.
What I found was that when I put a meter on the end of the resistance
strip and the terminal for the gliding contact, that I was getting
I cleaned the resistance strip and adjusted the gliding contact so that
it had more downward pressure. Mind you, it had checked out good to
the workshop manual specifications, but now I was down in the guts and
could move everything little by little and see the variations.
Put everything back together and it idled like a kitten with the
Emanage in the circuit. Put my maps back in and went for a ride;
I am supposing that the noisy signal from the AFM can be absorbed
normally by the ECU(which is why it worked when I bypassed the
Emanage), but that putting the Emanage in the circuit causes the
Emanage to constantly adjust to the noise and eventually it goes into
overload and can't handle any more.
Even when there is no map or adjustment, the Emanage needs to interpret
the signal and transfer it to the ECU. It could also be that the
amount of processing needed to keep up with the signal could affect the
ability of the Emanage to process other signals, but I am just
The logging of the AFM input with the Emanage was clean. But since it
is much slower at logging than at processing and seems to level the
signal reporting, it is conceivable to me that it could have looked OK.