Engine build - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 40
Total Cats: -10
Default Engine build

Sup guys, just bought a blown miata
Came with a vvt long block

Wont be putting on the head for a while

Ill be using
Vvt engine shortblock
Manley h rods
Acl race bearings
Arp head and main studs
Supertech pistons and rings

Not sure what else i need if anybody can input

Also i want to make sure the 94 1.8 head fits on the 01 block before i do this

Dont have money for the head at the moment but sooon!

My car does have a borg warner turbo

It was pushing 250 on stock block when it ran

Any input will help
Thanks!!!
Omar Vallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof
iTrader: (2)
 
psyber_0ptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,930
Total Cats: 227
Default

The 94 head will fit, but you should use the VVT head. You already have it. Just use it. It takes two wires to run the solenoid, stock timing angle maps can be found through search.

I'd use (and actually am using currently) the 94 block with forged guts because the water/oil ports are readily available for use on the driver side compared to the undrilled blanks on the 01 block.

Also it'd be wise to do a coolant reroute while it's all apart. If you need a waterpump I have one brand new with a cast impeller.
psyber_0ptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 40
Total Cats: -10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
The 94 head will fit, but you should use the VVT head. You already have it. Just use it. It takes two wires to run the solenoid, stock timing angle maps can be found through search.

I'd use (and actually am using currently) the 94 block with forged guts because the water/oil ports are readily available for use on the driver side compared to the undrilled blanks on the 01 block.

Also it'd be wise to do a coolant reroute while it's all apart. If you need a waterpump I have one brand new with a cast impeller.
Hmm so i should use the blown block?
Head has to wait, i dont have the money for the new ecu n such
It will go on, just not at the moment
Omar Vallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
cyotani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Azusa, CA
Posts: 1,365
Total Cats: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Vallin View Post
Hmm so i should use the blown block?
Head has to wait, i dont have the money for the new ecu n such
It will go on, just not at the moment

Either block will work. Which to use will require a tear down and proper inspection before knowing for sure.
cyotani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof
iTrader: (2)
 
psyber_0ptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,930
Total Cats: 227
Default

Replace the rods, take to a machine shop, check the crank. The blocks themselves are cast iron so they are robust. Doubt you damaged the block. You can still stick the crank from the BP6D into the 94 block. Stock 85mm stroke in both. It just makes plumbing a bit easier since you have both block options.

What ECU where you running before hand? Just get a VVT controller, or have it installed and ready to go once you get an MS2/3x
psyber_0ptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:34 PM   #6
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 40
Total Cats: -10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
Replace the rods, take to a machine shop, check the crank. The blocks themselves are cast iron so they are robust. Doubt you damaged the block. You can still stick the crank from the BP6D into the 94 block. Stock 85mm stroke in both. It just makes plumbing a bit easier since you have both block options.

What ECU where you running before hand? Just get a VVT controller, or have it installed and ready to go once you get an MS2/3x
It has a ms2 but i was reading that it wont tune for vvt only ms3 or aem

My pistons are .5mm oversize
Omar Vallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #7
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof
iTrader: (2)
 
psyber_0ptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,930
Total Cats: 227
Default

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/transmission-vvt-control/vvtuner-standalone-vvt-controller/


Here is a VVT controller, you can get by keeping the MS2 unless you're dying for an MS3

Use whatever piston bore you want (up to 84mm), the ~stroke~ is the same between all 1.8L engines, ergo, you can use a VVT crank in an older 1.8L block. Just get the right thrust bearings.

As an example....my Frankenmiata is a 92 using a 94 BP05 block with a BP4W (99-00) crank with an 01+ BP6D head. It all works, bolts up the same, don't matter. Just make sure your dipstick and tube comes from the same model as the oil pan. That's the only thing you have to be careful of.
psyber_0ptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 40
Total Cats: -10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/transmission-vvt-control/vvtuner-standalone-vvt-controller/


Here is a VVT controller, you can get by keeping the MS2 unless you're dying for an MS3

Use whatever piston bore you want (up to 84mm), the ~stroke~ is the same between all 1.8L engines, ergo, you can use a VVT crank in an older 1.8L block. Just get the right thrust bearings.

As an example....my Frankenmiata is a 92 using a 94 BP05 block with a BP4W (99-00) crank with an 01+ BP6D head. It all works, bolts up the same, don't matter. Just make sure your dipstick and tube comes from the same model as the oil pan. That's the only thing you have to be careful of.
Ohh i see
Thanks, didnt know theres a vvt controller

In that case i can use the entire vvt engine
Omar Vallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof
iTrader: (2)
 
psyber_0ptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,930
Total Cats: 227
Default

Where are you located?
psyber_0ptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #10
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 40
Total Cats: -10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
Where are you located?
Im in northridge california, just north of los angeles
Omar Vallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Staunton, Va
Posts: 1,859
Total Cats: 128
Default

You have two threads with the exact same topic. Why did you do this?
ryansmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #12
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 40
Total Cats: -10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmoneypit View Post
You have two threads with the exact same topic. Why did you do this?
Well one was supposed to be a meet n greet i just wanted to say hi
but thats what it turned to :/
Omar Vallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Staunton, Va
Posts: 1,859
Total Cats: 128
Default

10-4
ryansmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:42 PM   #14
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof
iTrader: (2)
 
psyber_0ptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,930
Total Cats: 227
Default

Welcome to the forum. Research, re-research and if you ask the right questions, you will be helped. It would be good to reference threads you've already looked at if you can't find the answers you're looking for just to show us you tried. I think you'll be fine though.
psyber_0ptix is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supertech vs Sealed Power VS855 Valve Springs Carloverx Engine Performance 36 02-19-2017 09:09 PM
1.8 BEGI Turbo Kit, Xedi Engine Management, 3" Exhaust AdrianD2 Miata parts for sale/trade 4 04-03-2016 09:27 PM
85.5mm Supertech Pistons 9.0:1 - MA855-N3 w/ Weisco Rings Sandro351 Miata parts for sale/trade 0 03-28-2016 01:34 PM
Fitting VVT engine into NA8C chassis - on Sunday this week! EvilChap General Miata Chat 5 03-17-2016 04:14 AM
Engine refresh plan beatle Engine Performance 13 03-06-2016 02:07 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 PM.