General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Perils of changing more than one thing at a time!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 2
Default Perils of changing more than one thing at a time!

Ok, in the last 2 days I installed the turbo blanket, slim fans and jumped the ECU wires 1L and 2s - blue/white and black/green - to run the fans in parallel. Today was over 100 degrees. Of course the car is now overheating. GDMFPOS. Drove it 2500 miles home from BEGI in 100 degree heat with the AC on and had no issues. I was trying to increase cooling and now it's running hot!!!

I checked the thermostat, opened fine in pot of near boiling water.

So. Is the turbo blanket super heating the water running through the turbo? The fans both come on when the AC is turned on. Both fans come on when the coolant gets hot. They are 12" 1400cfm slim fans with curved blades. No shroud around them, they are direct against the radiator. Stock fans weren't exactly sealed against the Godspeed group buy rad either.

Since doing the jumper the AC always blows cold when the fans come on. Whad up wit dat?

Any suggestions about most likely culprit? Course of action to undo steps to find problem? Gaaaah.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:17 PM

Total Cats: 0

Are the fans wired correctly so they are pulling?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by cueball1
Stock fans weren't exactly sealed against the Godspeed group buy rad either.

Since doing the jumper the AC always blows cold when the fans come on. Whad up wit dat?

Any suggestions about most likely culprit? Course of action to undo steps to find problem? Gaaaah.

Were there shrouds on the GS Radiator fans? Put the shrouds back on if you can. That is probably your culprit. Your unshrouded fans are probably pulling air from anywhere instead of through the radiator/IC area.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 15

Originally Posted by pschmidt
Are the fans wired correctly so they are pulling?
Good question.

C
Old 08-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Tour de Franzia

Total Cats: 375

if its overheating in stop and go, you may want to make some shrouds, bitch.

What were the ambient temps in your track day, where you had cooling success?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:30 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 1

Change one thing at a time back. Switch back to OE fans and see what happens.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Elite Member

The slim fans are connected directly to the rad with the pull through connectors they supplied. They are flat against the rad. They are reversible, but yes, they are pulling air, not blowing. Suck, don't blow! Good lesson in life.

Temp was 104 yesterday. Stop and go traffic. Turned off the ac and temps dropped a little. Problem is AC seems to blow cold even when off if the fans come on due to temp. I cut the jumper wire so the fans operate as stock now. Gotta figure that one out.

Here is a pic similar to what I did with the fans. I replaced both stock fans with the slim ones. https://www.miataturbo.net/forum/sho...5&postcount=85

The stock fan for the AC can't go back in. I chopped it into little pieces to get it out. Was easier than trying to remove the charge pipes, water pipes, etc.

The slim fans are pretty much your standard $30 ebay specials. 12", 1400cfm curved blade.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 475

No shrouding is your problem. Fix that. Your just pulling a small ring of air through your radiator now.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Elite Member

i'm really surprised i haven't had any cooling issues on my bone stock 93 cooling system, in hot and heavy traffic it will go from 203-207 sometimes 211, never any higher, i haven't done the parallel fan mod either,
Old 08-16-2008, 02:02 PM

I just put on the same type of fans as you last week and had no problems on our road trip until returning from Napa getting to near Red Bluff and then we were running hot and nearly overheating up over the Siskiyou pass. I made an aluminum shroud that gives 3/8" of space between the face of the radiator and the fans, but just didn't have a chance to put it in.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Elite Member

Just spotted a similar discussion in the DIY section. Here is an argument for shrouding.

https://www.miataturbo.net/forum/sho...2&postcount=19

I have some ABS I could use. Will ABS sheet take the heat OK or do I have to find some Lexan or Poly like they use at Fatcat?
Old 08-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Tour de Franzia

Total Cats: 375

I'm going to try my **** out with the stock fans, then the 12" ebay fans zipped to the rad, then make a shroud for the 12" and space the back as far as possible.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Elite Member

I was using stock fans and it wasn't a problem. Serves me right for trying to fix what wasn't broke. Wanted better cooling as insurance and also the extra space the slim fans give. It is a lot more room in there now.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:04 PM

I did it for the space issue. My intercooler pipe wanted to take up the same space as the stock fan...and that just doesn't work.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Elite Member

I was using stock fans and it wasn't a problem. Serves me right for trying to fix what wasn't broke. Wanted better cooling as insurance and also the extra space the slim fans give. It is a lot more room in there now.
stock fans ftw?
Old 08-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Elite Member

Just fabbed up a shroud out of some ABS sheet I have. Didn't have any insulation tape to fill the gap with but even so it ran perfectly in 100 degrees and the AC going full bore. Tomorrow I'll fill in the gaps. Don't expect I'll see any more trouble. Sure like the extra room those fans give me.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Elite Member

Ok, hit the track again today. It wasn't as hot out but still, not even a hint of temps coming up. Shrouding the fans is king!

I'd say a must do if you go with the slim fans and want to track the car. Needed on mine just for the highway with AC and space around the rad for air to bypass it. (air management through the engine bay, splitter/undertray, brake ducts, venting the hood are all upcoming projects.)
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 PM

The slim fans are connected directly to the rad with the pull through connectors they supplied. They are flat against the rad. They are reversible, but yes, they are pulling air, not blowing. Suck, don't blow! Good lesson in life.

Temp was 104 yesterday. Stop and go traffic. Turned off the ac and temps dropped a little. Problem is AC seems to blow cold even when off if the fans come on due to temp. I cut the jumper wire so the fans operate as stock now. Gotta figure that one out.

Here is a pic similar to what I did with the fans. I replaced both stock fans with the slim ones. https://www.miataturbo.net/forum/sho...5&postcount=85

The stock fan for the AC can't go back in. I chopped it into little pieces to get it out. Was easier than trying to remove the charge pipes, water pipes, etc.

The slim fans are pretty much your standard $30 ebay specials. 12", 1400cfm curved blade.

IMHO: Keep the dual fan mod - untill my recent issues I ran it all summer for two years w/o issue.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 3

Would there be any drawbacks to hooking one of the fans up as a pusher and putting it one the FRONT of the rad (between the I/C and rad) to help counter any air the i/c may be blocking?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:15 PM

cueball - how about a pict of those shrouded slim fans ?? I'm in the same boat you were in and have to fab something up - I'd love to see what you did just to get an idea on where to start.
TIA,
-B

Quick Reply: Perils of changing more than one thing at a time!