General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

coolradiator.com 2 1/16" radiator fitment

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 09:30 PM

Total Cats: 0
Default coolradiator.com 2 1/16" radiator fitment

Last weekend I put in the coolradiator.com 2 1/16" "race" radiator. It's not a perfect drop-in, so I thought I'd show what worked for me.

-install the sheetmetal mounts separate from the radiator.
- trim the lower part of the fan shroud back to the tips of the fan blades. If you have stock swaybars, you may not need to go back that far, I have the FM bars
-if you have power steering, trim the side shroud on the outside of the dr side fan. This lets you slide the fan past the power steering lines easier.
-slot the mounting tabs on the rad so you can move the rad as far forward as possible. The helps with swaybar and IC piping clearance, and lets you seal the top of the rad to the frame.
- the fan mounting tab is too close to the lower rad hose. trim off about 1/8" so you can get them both on

Not all of these may be needed for every car, but they are way easier to do before trying to install it.
Attached Thumbnails coolradiator.com 2 1/16" radiator fitment-fan-clearance.jpg   coolradiator.com 2 1/16" radiator fitment-fan-trimming.jpg   coolradiator.com 2 1/16" radiator fitment-fan-trimming-2.jpg   coolradiator.com 2 1/16" radiator fitment-slotted-mounts.jpg  
Old 02-02-2008, 11:31 PM

Total Cats: 0

I recently installed a CSF radiator, same size as yours. The OEM fans weren't even close to fitting with it and the RB swaybar. I haven't hacked up the fans yet, so I'm going to try that and see what happens. Nice tip on installing the mounts first then the radiator. My radiator was so wide that it took quite a while and a lot of wiggling to get it between the frame rails with the mounts attached. I dread the day I have to remove it.