MEGAsquirt A place to collectively sort out this megasquirt gizmo

my megasquirt troubles with starting, this time with video v.at this point I'm lost

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Tour de Franzia

Total Cats: 375
Default my megasquirt troubles with starting, this time with video v.at this point I'm lost

ok, back to the basics since I'm obviously ******* something up beyond belief. Its conveniently 32* outside. Today I got measured the sensor at 32 degrees and got a value of 8040z and entered that into easytherm, compiled that correctly with the oversight of someone on this board to make sure i did it right, and megatune thinks its 14* warmer outside than it is.

I should note that the map I started with worked on cold start last week, and I drove the car all day, it ran wonderfully, but I noticed my IAT #'s were wrong when it got colder and the car started running lean.

I followed Matt's advice and did this too:
;comms settings - you may need to tweak these for USB serial
;e.g. put writeblocks off and add an interwrite delay
pageActivationDelay = 50
writeBlocks = on
interWriteDelay = 0
;end USB settings

Change "writeBlocks = on" to "writeBlocks = off" and "interWriteDelay =
0" to "interWriteDelay = 1". Let me know how this works. We'll get this
straightened out.
You can look at my msq, but even the DIY autotune 9093 base msq isn't working now. I used it last week just fine. If I had a host I'd upload my msq. I've checked everything numerous times, and all setting are identical. I'm stuped

screaming:
View My Video

living with aids:
View My Video

awesome idle:
View My Video
Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Tour de Franzia

I feel like I'm Helen Keller.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm Miserable!

Total Cats: 0

thats fucked...would it be your ms is bad, or your IAT sensor?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Tour de Franzia

Originally Posted by miataz
thats fucked...would it be your ms is bad, or your IAT sensor?
i seriously doubt I'm the one person on earth who has a bad ecm or sensor. Everyone else is fine.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 7

You have so many different problems it's hard to narrow down exactly what you're trying to fix. Your temps are wrong, that will screw up everything. The beeping isn't normal either and I don't know much about the MSPNP or why it would beep. Will it play funkytown?
If I was in your position, I would delete everything that had to do with megasquirt off of my computer. Everything.
Then download diyautotunes software package: http://diyautotune.com/softwarelinks.htm
Then download the current firmware package you want: http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/mspnp_downloads.htm

Reflash the ECU with stuff you know isn't modified by yourself. That way everyone knows what you have for sure. Then if you have problems still, maybe someone on the forum or at DIY can track it down. If not maybe a ECU swap is in order considering how long you have been dealing with strange issues that no one else has been dealing with.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 475

Originally Posted by cjernigan
You have so many different problems it's hard to narrow down exactly what you're trying to fix. Your temps are wrong, that will screw up everything. The beeping isn't normal either and I don't know much about the MSPNP or why it would beep. Will it play funkytown?
If I was in your position, I would delete everything that had to do with megasquirt off of my computer. Everything.
Then download diyautotunes software package: http://diyautotune.com/softwarelinks.htm
Then download the current firmware package you want: http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/mspnp_downloads.htm

Reflash the ECU with stuff you know isn't modified by yourself. That way everyone knows what you have for sure. Then if you have problems still, maybe someone on the forum or at DIY can track it down. If not maybe a ECU swap is in order considering how long you have been dealing with strange issues that no one else has been dealing with.
Yeap. I had problems and uninstalling and deleting everything, then reinstalling everything fixed it.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Tour de Franzia

Originally Posted by cjernigan

I've been down this road multiple times, but I'll do it again considering I haven't reinstalled in a week.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Boost Czar

Total Cats: 4,080

since you already have aids, might as well just come out.

every thought of emailing these vids to DIY themselves?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Tour de Franzia

Originally Posted by Braineack
since you already have aids, might as well just come out.

every thought of emailing these vids to DIY themselves?
I'm going to san francisco next week to come out.

I emailed DIY too, but I wanted to get more than one person's opinion since its probably a simple mistake that only a moron could make, I have anonymity here, and DIY knows who I am.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Boost Czar

completely stock motor, no mod?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Tour de Franzia

Originally Posted by Braineack
completely stock motor, no mod?
no cat, no afm. Its run wonderfully with no mechanical changes.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm Miserable!

Total Cats: -1

is the a MSPNP or one you are someone else built?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Elite Member

He has an MSPNP.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Supporting Vendor

The info in the original post from Matt is on slowing down serial communication, which can help in some cases with comm issues with a USB adapter or troublesome USB port on certain laptops.

I agree that first off a clean slate is a good idea.... I'd suggest cjernigan suggested I'd recommend uninstalling MegaTune, deleting the folder, and downloading our software package. BUT, don't grab MSPNP software from DIYAutoTune.com, we've setup a specific package for the MSPNP, the package on DIYAutoTune.com's software page is more generic for the DIY user, you want the software package at http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/mspnp_downloads.htm

You also should reflash the firmware (remember your ignitor!) and reload the base map.

Now you're back at square 1. You should not have any funky beeping/squeeling/etc, the car should fire right up and be ready to fine tune. If it's not, drop us an email or give us a call and we'll get right with you and help you from there. It will help us though to have you at that 'clean slate' point to be able to figure out what's going on. We'll get it nailed though...
'95 Miata n/a
A few other cars....
Old 01-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Tour de Franzia

I cleaned everything off off and started over. The car is running well, but cold start is still whacked out and either extremely lean or extremely rich.

Do I need to get off the warmup wizard and play with PW's for warmup?

Also, I'm running fixed map and it doesn't hold a steady value (80kpa). It will sweep between roughly 1000-2500, then settle at 1500, over and over.

The software still closes when I try to open or save files more than once. So I have to make all my VE table adjustments in megalogviewer, and can only save changes once before restarting the program. If I'm not plugged in, I don't have these problems. I did not change the com / usb transfer settings back to what you suggested in email. I was just happy to get my car on the road since I have to drive it today.

The car drives fine, but I'd really like to get megatune working right now. Sensor readings are accurate, and everything looks fine.

I drove the car to work today...
Thanks for the help crew.

p.s. I love the "no seriously, did you read that, or just click through? unplug your igniter." lol

Last edited by hustler; 01-24-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Boost Czar

you still need to tune your cranking PWs lower.

you may want to try fixed then decay.

does it do this only when plugged into the cable? can you recreate this just playing with files offline?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Elite Member

I highly recommend the onboard USB logic converter from DIY. When I bought my new notebook the usb converter wasn't working for ****. It would lose comms every few seconds. I installed their onboard adapter and everything is groovy again.

The reason I mention this is that a lot of your problems could be a result of bad flashes and/or lost packets during MSQ burn. If you have communication problems it's hard to to be sure that all the info got into the unit.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Arkmage
I highly recommend the onboard USB logic converter from DIY. When I bought my new notebook the usb converter wasn't working for ****. It would lose comms every few seconds. I installed their onboard adapter and everything is groovy again.

The reason I mention this is that a lot of your problems could be a result of bad flashes and/or lost packets during MSQ burn. If you have communication problems it's hard to to be sure that all the info got into the unit.
My experience was just the opposite though everyone's setup is a little different in terms of what computer their using and whatnot. The USB adapter worked but it also caused major resets, like over 20 in a 10 minute drive.
That doesn't mean everyone has problems with it, otherwise they wouldn't be selling it in their store. I did though so that's something to watch for.
I also used a BELKIN usb-db9 adapter that would crash XP all day long couldn't do anything. I now use the Radioshack one successfully with zero problems.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Elite Member

I think a lot of it has to do with driver conflicts between the USB driver on the PC and the driver for the converter itself. It seems to matter just as much what computer you are on as it does which adapter you are using. My old adapter does the job fine on the wife's notebook.

basically I'm trying to say that his problem is very likely a result of bad communication with the MS. if he can fix that problem it will, in the very least, help the problem... if not fix it entirely.

Last edited by cjernigan; 01-24-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Arkmage
I think a lot of it has to do with driver conflicts between the USB driver on the PC and the driver for the converter itself. It seems to matter just as much what computer you are on as it does which adapter you are using. My old adapter does the job fine on the wife's notebook.

basically I'm trying to say that his problem is very likely a result of bad communication with the MS. if he can fix that problem it will, in the very least, help the problem... if not fix it entirely.

Yep, when i searched around the net I only found one other person with trouble using the Belkin adapter. Some people have trouble with the RS adapter. It's just a crap shoot picking the right adapter for your laptop. Anytime i had something crazy irregular occuring with my MS it had to do with the USB adapter.

Damnit hustler, try the RS adapter, you said you had one close by.

Quick Reply: my megasquirt troubles with starting, this time with video v.at this point I'm lost