General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Question for those running 550cc RC Injectors

Old 05-26-2009, 04:38 PM

Total Cats: 0
Default Question for those running 550cc RC Injectors

I have been fighting a vacuum leak with my Hydra install in my '01. The car idles/surges between 1800 and 2000 RPM.

I was pretty sure the leak was with the injectors so I pulled the 550's, put in the stock injectors and plugged the stock ECU back in and the car idles fine.

I measured the RC pintle and it is about .020 smaller than the stock injectors and the insulator is loose enough that it falls off with a gentle shake.

Attached is a pic of a 550cc RX 7 injector I plan to put in my 94 compared to the RC 550cc injector I am putting in my '01. You can see the diamter of the pintle on the RX7 injector is .375, same as stock, and it is .355 on the RC injector.

Have any of you had issues getting the RC injector to seat properly? I'm thinking about putting a small o-ring on and then putting on the insulator to see if I get a better seal.
Attached Thumbnails Question for those running 550cc RC Injectors-rc-injector.jpg  
Old 05-26-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve
I have been fighting a vacuum leak with my Hydra install in my '01. The car idles/surges between 1800 and 2000 RPM.

I was pretty sure the leak was with the injectors so I pulled the 550's, put in the stock injectors and plugged the stock ECU back in and the car idles fine.

I measured the RC pintle and it is about .020 smaller than the stock injectors and the insulator is loose enough that it falls off with a gentle shake.

Attached is a pic of a 550cc RX 7 injector I plan to put in my 94 compared to the RC 550cc injector I am putting in my '01. You can see the diamter of the pintle on the RX7 injector is .375, same as stock, and it is .355 on the RC injector.

Have any of you had issues getting the RC injector to seat properly? I'm thinking about putting a small o-ring on and then putting on the insulator to see if I get a better seal.
try using various o-rings to make it snug..
Old 05-26-2009, 09:05 PM

I used two O-rings per injector and used two washers to lower the rail to get my RC550s to seal, but they are a tight fit now. They would not seal with the factory seals. I'll try to see if I can find the part number for the o-rings I bought.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by ApexOnYou
I used two O-rings per injector and used two washers to lower the rail to get my RC550s to seal, but they are a tight fit now. They would not seal with the factory seals. I'll try to see if I can find the part number for the o-rings I bought.
Thank you, this is exactly the advice I am looking for. If you can find part numbers, that would be great.

When you say two o-rings and two washers, I assume the o-rings went on the pintle before the insulator, or was that instead of the insulator? I'm not sure what you mean by two washers. My fuel rail seams to seal tight against the o-ring on top of the injectors.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 PM

Total Cats: 3

The FM install instructions show using 2 o-rings instead of the insulator. Its in their turbo install instructions.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 12

I run RC 550s, do I have a leak possibly? I used the BEGI RC kit...
Old 05-27-2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by TurboRoach
The FM install instructions show using 2 o-rings instead of the insulator. Its in their turbo install instructions.
Actually they have a picture illustrating the use of two o-rings, which according to the instructions can be used if the OEM inulators are shot. FM uses the OEM insulators according to my conversation with Jeremy.

I did try the two ford o-rings and still had the leak, although I may have used the wrong size. Hopefully Apex-on-You can provide the correct part nbumber.

Originally Posted by Spookyfish
Are you having issues, or just asking based on my post? If you car is running fine, you probably have no issue and I wouldn't worry about it. If you are having idle issues, it is a possibility. One way to check is to Carb Cleaner at the base of the injector, if your idle changes you have a leak.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Spookyfish
Is your car idling fine, do you see gas around the injectors?
Old 05-28-2009, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve
Thank you, this is exactly the advice I am looking for. If you can find part numbers, that would be great.

When you say two o-rings and two washers, I assume the o-rings went on the pintle before the insulator, or was that instead of the insulator? I'm not sure what you mean by two washers. My fuel rail seams to seal tight against the o-ring on top of the injectors.
Sorry, I haven't had time to grab the box with the part number from the shop, I should be able to make it over there tomorrow.

I used two o-rings in place of the insulator - I did not reuse the factory seal/insulator. The two washers (x3) replaced the plastic fuel rail spacers that are sandwiched between the rail and the manifold, with the mounting bolts running through. That lowered the rail, with the factory spacers the injectors could move up and down and would not seal. I assumed the NB uses the same mounting location?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 12

Originally Posted by Toddcod
Is your car idling fine, do you see gas around the injectors?
Idles ok normally, not always
I was in fact asking based on the first post.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:47 AM

Found the part number if you still need it - NAPA # 2-12093 / V07186. You'll need eight total, two per injector.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor

Total Cats: -99

We use Napa p/n 2-12076. Need 4 of them. I re-used the stock seals on my car with no problem, the first time. They have subsequently been changed to the Napa p/n.

If the leak is not at the injector, try your idle air controller.
Stephanie