MEGAsquirt A place to collectively sort out this megasquirt gizmo

MAF Emulation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:58 PM

Total Cats: 23
Default MAF Emulation?

I will be installing MS very soon in parallel with my stock ECU on my 97 with hopes to turbocharge it in the very near future (still gathering parts, only a handful left!). Anyways, I really want to avoid having a CEL (although it seems inevitable) once my turbo is installed. I want to remove the MAF once megasquirt is in and just use the onboard MAP. I realize that doing this will throw a CEL though, but even with a turbo and MAF still connected, wouldn't it still freak out by the amount of air being inhaled? I read the new AEM FIC has a nifty feature that can emulate the MAF voltage just for this purpose.

Really, its not the CEL I'm worried about really, its that by installing MS in parallel, I had hopes of letting the stock ECU deal with idle, but obviously without a MAF, wouldn't it have issues? Please, any advice is appreciated!
Old 07-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 42

Originally Posted by karter74
I will be installing MS very soon in parallel with my stock ECU on my 97 with hopes to turbocharge it in the very near future (still gathering parts, only a handful left!). Anyways, I really want to avoid having a CEL (although it seems inevitable) once my turbo is installed. I want to remove the MAF once megasquirt is in and just use the onboard MAP. I realize that doing this will throw a CEL though, but even with a turbo and MAF still connected, wouldn't it still freak out by the amount of air being inhaled? I read the new AEM FIC has a nifty feature that can emulate the MAF voltage just for this purpose.

Really, its not the CEL I'm worried about really, its that by installing MS in parallel, I had hopes of letting the stock ECU deal with idle, but obviously without a MAF, wouldn't it have issues? Please, any advice is appreciated!
you won't get a CEL, and it'll idle fine with the stock ECU.

Don't ya think there'd be loads of threads asking how to get rid of a CEL if it was an issue?

I ran without the MAF when running fuel only for a day, it was as slow as hell as there was no ignition advance, but it ran fine, and no thrown codes, seriously the stock ECU is as dumb as hell.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:31 PM

LOL, well I'm glad to hear it. Why do you think the AEM FIC has this function though? I guess maybe other cars are more sensitive to not having a functional MAF than others.

Also, I'm assuming you installed MS in parallel on your 96, did you cut your factory harness to install it? I was planning on using vampire connectors on the wires that needed to be shared with the stock ECU, but I really don't want to cut the stock wires (just paranoia really, no real reason). I was thinking of building my own harness extension like boomslang, just wanted to know if anyone knew of any other Mazda cars that shared the same ECU connectors as the Miata.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Supporting Vendor

Total Cats: 67

Originally Posted by karter74
I was thinking of building my own harness extension like boomslang, just wanted to know if anyone knew of any other Mazda cars that shared the same ECU connectors as the Miata.
This connector is all over the place. The '96-97 Miata ECU most closely resembles an OBD-I Probe GT or MX-6 V6 ECU. But similar connectors (I can't promise they have all their pins) appear in quite a few Mazda, Mitsubishi, and Toyota products. Some that I know use a 4-connector version include the 2nd gen turbo DSMs and the OBD-I second gen MR2. I've been trying to document how many cars use this connector, and it turns up in so many places it's not even funny.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:24 PM

Total Cats: 0

I have an extra set of 96-97 ECU connectors (male and female), but you'll need to order the pins. PM me if interested.

Also, the ECU won't throw a CEL if the maf is disconnected? I find that odd especially since the car won't run without it (with the stock ecu).
Old 07-17-2007, 06:25 PM

iWeasel410, you have a PM!