E-Manage Post your questions about greddy e-manage installation and tuning here.

The once and 4 all JP8 topic!

Old 08-19-2007, 05:51 AM

Total Cats: 0
Default The once and 4 all JP8 topic!

Well I'm getting very confused. Should I or should I not use the 12V setting of the JP8 on my EMU. I see very different settings. Sometimes they warn that the 5V setting would fry the coils. Fot example:

Originally Posted by badboy88000
your miata is a 99 right? set jumper 8 to 2-3, 12V system. 99 miata's run on a 12V system. if you use the 5V, youll fry the coilpacks. i was lucky to buy the EMU used, coming from a honda guy, he used the 12V system, and i didnt bother to change my jumper on that, but the car runs perfectly (besides the fans not turning on) read up on that, theres somewhere on yahoo groups about wiring up op-amps to make everything better.
But another member told me this:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez
There was a wonderful thread about this a while back, but unfortunately all that was lost in the Great Accidental Purging of Two Weeks Ago.

The practical upshot was that I verified with an oscilloscope that the ignition trigger level on the 1.6 engine was in fact 5 volts, and have run my EMU at that setting for roughly a year with no problems. Someone else interjected that perhaps the 1.8 engine used a different signalling level owing to its different ignitor design, however nobody ever volunteered the use of their NB to me so that we could scope out the ignition on one of those. At the end of the whole thing, we all agreed that we had absolutely no idea what was going on, and so instead we got drunk.
These are the settings of another EMU user on a '99 Miata:
This is Emilio's Jumper settings...

J1 O
J2 O
J3 O
J4 O
J5 O
J6 O
J7 1-2
J8 1-2 (=5V)
J9 1-2
J10 O
J11 O
J12 O
J13 O
J14 1-2
J15 1-2
J16 O
J17 O
J18 O
J19 O
J20 O
Good advice form Joe Perres:
JP1 through JP4 = open (no jumper)

JP7 = 1-2

JP8 = 2-3 (there is some confusion here. On the 1.6 it is 1-2, but some 1.8 owners have reported damaging their coils on this setting.)

JP9 = 1-2

JP11 through JP14 = open (no jumper)

JP15 = 1-2

JP18 = open (no jumper)

JP19 & JP20 = 1-2

The other jumpers do not matter for a Miata engine.
And so on...
So what is the best jumper 8 option for a MK2 1.8?

Last edited by MX5Kuro; 08-19-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:07 AM

Total Cats: 1

i was confused too, when i first installed the EMU. i thought that it was originally 5V, when i did install it cause i thought i changed the jumper setting until i opened it a couple of nights to go to find out i didnt change it. The setting was under 2-3 for jumper 8, and my car drove and ran fine. i would rather not find out what would happen if i changed it to 5V.

my car is a 99 M2 miata..

another person in a yahoo group for the EMU found lots of problems with our cars, particular to the sensors. IM STILL HAVING PROBLEMS TRYING TO MAKE MY GOD DAMN FANS WORK!

my jumper settings on the fan are also as follows
JP13 OP
JP14 OP

someone had a detailed explanation about why our fans wouldnt turn on either if we had JP13 set to 1-2. i followed this, but i still havent been able to turn on the fans. Someone also said to use the HN_WT-2 water sensor to make the fans work, but ive tried it, and to no avail.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 AM

I have a '99 1.8 NB Italian Spec.
My JP8 is 1-2 since years and it's working perfectly, like anything else (fans, fans control, auxliary output, analog output, wt, at, o2 clamp, water injection etc..) except knock and ignition advance monitor.

Look carefully on the emu circuit board at the jp8 position. The installation manual shows wrong position of pin 1!!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Ben
Supporting Vendor

Total Cats: 134

From the title, I thought you were trying to run jet fuel or something
JP = Jet Propellant, JP8 is the blend used in most USAF jets.

91 Turbo | 10AE Turbo | 01 Track Rat | #323 Mazda Champcar

Originally Posted by concealer404
Buy an MSPNP Pro, you'll feel better.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:27 AM

could be different from american spec cars?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Boost Pope

Total Cats: 6,588

I keep making this offer, and I keep getting no takers. If anyone with a 1.8 in the So.Cal area wants to volunteer to come to my place in Carlsbad, I will happily scope your ignition system and you can become known as the hero who finally helped to settle this once and for all. Doesn't matter if you have an EMU or not, so long as the stock ECU and stock ignition coils are still in place.

Ideally, I'd like to test a '94-'95, a '96-'97, a non-COP NB, and a COP NB.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:57 PM

I keep making this offer, and I keep getting no takers. If anyone with a 1.8 in the So.Cal area wants to volunteer to come to my place in Carlsbad, I will happily scope your ignition system and you can become known as the hero who finally helped to settle this once and for all. Doesn't matter if you have an EMU or not, so long as the stock ECU and stock ignition coils are still in place.

Ideally, I'd like to test a '94-'95, a '96-'97, a non-COP NB, and a COP NB.
I would if I could, but then I have to cross the ocean...
Old 08-21-2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by badboy88000
could be different from american spec cars?
I don't think so.
I believe that all the jp8 thing is caused by the stupid greddy manual that reverse the position of the pin 1 on the jumper.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:23 PM

Hey Joe, can you tell me how i can scope the ignition system to find out......

otherwise its going to be a long drive for me
Old 08-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Boost Pope

Originally Posted by sprx3
Hey Joe, can you tell me how i can scope the ignition system to find out......
First, get an oscilloscope. Just about any unit will do- my personal rig is an old 20Mhz B&K.

Set the channel A input to DC coupled, 2 volts / div (appx) and set the Y-POS to offset the trace down to the lowest division on the scale. (On some scopes you'll have to put the trigger into continuous while doing the offset adjustment). Set the trigger to channel A rising edge, at about 3 volts or so. Start with the timescale at maybe 10msec/div. You'll have to tinker with that one.

If you do not yet have an EMU/EMB installed: Disconnect the plugs going to both coils (or to the igniter on a 1.6) and attach the probe to the trigger line of one of them. I believe that these wires are brown and brown/yellow on all years. We need to measure the signal without the load of the igniter which, on a 1.6 anyway, seems to be fairly low impedance and really uglifies the trace.

If you already have an EMU installed, simply probe between the ECU and the EMU. Ground the probe wherever convenient.

Crank the engine, and observe the scope. Adjust the timescale and trigger until you can see both the high-level and low-level events. I believe that the ignition pulse is active-high. Since the load is disconnected, you should have a nice clean shelf on each ignition event. Determine the magnitude of the high-level trace by reading the scale, and you have your ignition trigger voltage.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Newb

Give it any news about this problem?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Voltmeter

Well I tried to measure it with a standard voltmeter and it showed less than 5 Volts. So I take my chances at 5V until proven otherwise. It's running beautifully in the meantime.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Boost Pope

A voltmeter is useless for measurements like this. The signal changes more rapidly than even an expensive DVM like my Fluke 77 can measure.

For what its worth, I remember a while back seeing a little gadget that plugs into a Nintendo Gameboy and turns it into a 4-channel DVM/scope. Very primitive interface, but it seemed like the hand-heldedness of it would make the system quite versatile. Alas it is no longer available new, but I thought it might interest some folks. Here's a link to the site that originally carried it, and still provides software support: http://www.educatingmario.com/
Old 09-06-2007, 01:18 AM

A voltmeter is useless for measurements like this. The signal changes more rapidly than even an expensive DVM like my Fluke 77 can measure.

For what its worth, I remember a while back seeing a little gadget that plugs into a Nintendo Gameboy and turns it into a 4-channel DVM/scope. Very primitive interface, but it seemed like the hand-heldedness of it would make the system quite versatile. Alas it is no longer available new, but I thought it might interest some folks. Here's a link to the site that originally carried it, and still provides software support: http://www.educatingmario.com/
I knew it's not the most accurate way of measuring it, but would't it even measure a spike more than 5V? I've read a lot of posts and my guess at this moment it is most likely 5V and the "12V" setting would be a faulty 5V setting as mentioned above. But again it's the most aducated guess at this moment, but nevertheless still a gues. So I'll stick to 5V until proven otherwise.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:37 PM
CrashHouse

Any news on this subject?

Old 10-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Boost Pope

Resurrecting an older thread here, because we have some new data.

Reverant over on M.net has scoped the ignition signals on an '01 and determined that the signal level from the ECU to the ignitior is in fact 12 volts. Whether the same is true for the '99-'00 or the 1.8 NAs is still not known with certainty, however taken together with the earlier reports of ignition trouble on these cars it does strongly suggest that 1.8 engines in general may use 12v ignition control.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:15 PM

great that its been somewhat "confirmed"
Old 10-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Boost Pope

Well, I'm still waiting for somebody with a 1.8 NA to come out to my garage in Carlsbad so that I can lay a 'scope probe on it and settle this once and for all. But so far, no takers. C'mon people, I know that several of you live in the San Diego / LA area. Don't you want to become known as the dude who finally stepped up and provided the answer to The Ultimate Question.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:32 PM

Im getting one of those cheapo usb o-scopes by the end of the week so i'll be able to confirm for 99-00's.

Last edited by mikeflys1; 11-08-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:01 PM

Got it today and mine was 12v also...

I think the difference between the two graphs is with the first one i just grounded to the door hinge and the second i went right to the battery.

Quick Reply: The once and 4 all JP8 topic!