DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

gt28rs 1.6L plans and start :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 09:29 PM

Total Cats: 0

Hopefully, I can drive the miata down and Cody can take the NSX. That might be fun.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Newb

Originally Posted by Splitime
Would be my pleasure. Once its done... find me at Gingerman
j00 mean in the grass or at the beach there bud? :P
Old 01-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Miotta FTW!

Total Cats: 31

Got part of the 1.8L brake upgrade done. Rear brackets from ebay ended up being 1.6L... dealing with ebayer now... i think an honest mistake because of his large parts sales.

Steering wheel on with ebay hub(fit perfectly). Momo Race and its outside diameter is smaller than the inside diameter of the stocker... its perfect.

Gutted my old Power doors... anyone still want power window stuff? Interior wiring/plugs aren't pulled yet, not a priority ( i was gutting for access to door locks)

Door lock cylinders swapped to my 'bling' doors

Went to install my walbro 190... and store forgot the install kit. Its being mailed out, so it'll go in next project time.

Pulled the rest of the AC/powersteering lines and junk. Will depower rack next visit.

Roof has some starting measurements for cutting... aluminum 5way front/back opening RV vent is going into it

WG was test fit, and fits perfectly as expected. Tial 38mm btw.

Radiator for the vmount has been ordered. An Integra all aluminum Koyo will be my base.

Overall, things are progressing... never as fast as I want... but I have tools again... so it the project will march on.

Oh... and a concept picture for my hood... minus the vmount venting I'm still undecided how to do (thinking evo8 style vents, or just large opening with metal trim work) and venting above turbo I'm considering.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Miotta FTW!

MS is almost done, going to whip up the plug/play harness soon.

Radiator is here.

Chopped up my 1.6 intake manifold and will be welding new runners on soon. Chopped up the 4inch pipe for the plenum.
Got all the aluminum I needed for the coolant reroute and vmount setup.

Also picked up this....

to make into a custom engine dampener on the passenger side.

Oh.. and found the wing I had picked up for my civic when downforce at highspeeds was becoming needed. Never got to use it... but it'll come in handy for this build

Oh... anyone know of affordable servos that could be used in place of the wing adjusters? Having the wing change during highspeed braking would be wonderful.....

Oh, here's a runner welded on shot of the pseudo twin of my intake manifold for my friends 2.2l non-vtec swap in progress. He welded them on tonight while i chopped up the 4in pipe.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 372

Your build looks top notch. The intake job is exactly what I want to eventually do to my OE FE intake. Right now I'm running an FE welded up with a 1.6, but it makes very long runners and too much height. - rob
Old 02-19-2007, 04:06 PM

I love build threads
Old 02-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 5

how did i miss this the thread
Old 02-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Miotta FTW!

Did I mention my friends brother has a large table CNC machine?
Assuming all goes well... this piece below, will be turned into the baseplate/floor of the plenum and have its own velocity stacks machined out

Also got 2 12inch slim fans in for the radiator. Slowly progressing.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Miotta FTW!

Working on planning a fabrication weekend on the April 7/8th. Hopefully all major fabrication of the rad/ic/downpipe/wg dump/coolant reroute etc.... will be done by the end of that weekend.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Miotta FTW!

Thanks to some images posted on clubroadster... I had a great image to photoshop and make a concept shot of where my build is going....

Wish my paint was actually that nice though
Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 PM

I love that car(the original). your photoshop looks like it could turn into an even more favorite-R car.

are your plans to modify a stock bumper to get that shape or do you have a sucker lined up? that pic reminds me of another miata but I cant remember the site, really great duct work on that car
Old 03-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Miotta FTW!

It's a mix of a few formats.
gotxqss from clubroadster for the base picture... giving me the red car... R lip... vented bumper and removed turn signals and the single hood vent.
Then its a blend of kickinoutyo's ducting and another cars vmount radiator.
Its also a bit of the "Fish" (if memory serves me) for the opened up front opening.

They all incorporate a bit of what I wanted from my car function wise. Basically... a fun track car... thats cooling system can handle anything I can toss at it.

The build will be one off though... just no other way for me to get what I want.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:05 PM

i envy you.... i'd kill for a workspace like yours and your set-up is omg to die for killer. Cant wait to see vids of the beast in action
Old 03-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Miotta FTW!

I wish it was really "my" workspace. It's a friend who is kind enough to let me keep the car in a family warehouse. If it wasn't 1.5hrs away... I'd be in it every darn day (wife would kill me... but she usually understands my car insanity)
Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Splitime
I wish it was really "my" workspace. It's a friend who is kind enough to let me keep the car in a family warehouse. If it wasn't 1.5hrs away... I'd be in it every darn day (wife would kill me... but she usually understands my car insanity)
heh insanity more like a mental disease
Old 03-27-2007, 12:35 PM
hrk

Total Cats: 3

What brought you to Integra radiator? Are you happy with quality?
Where did you source it? If from Ebay, who was the seller?

That is one of my options to be put on trunk of the locost, but the relatively thin core has kept me from pulling the trigger. I presume the amount of airflow will be somewhat limited there.

Thanks
hrk
Old 03-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Miotta FTW!

It's dimensions fit exactly what I wanted for going Vmount. It has less than 1/2inch clearance in between the framerail... so it fills side to side almost completely on its own.

The one I got was from a private seller and was slightly damaged (see pics, mild dent). I also knew, that since i had to mod it... I wanted a quality core. Koyo is well known for high quality racing radiators... so I just kept an eye out for a deal. Was looking at generics too... but the koyo ebay sale just fell into my lap.

The integra is dual core, its not thin at all.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:22 PM

Dude, I just, I dunno. I'm speechless. After seeing the liquid sex like welds on the exhaust manifold, I just had to keep reading. I've never read through a full forum post ever in my life until now! I always skim through but I loose interest, but now, you've changed my life today. Great build man.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:35 PM

Remember, those "liquid sex like welds" are for sale, although he's crazy busy. I like to use my car as a template, makes me feel important. Sorry for the shameless plug. When can we expect to witness this beast of all beasts at Gingerman? I am seriously jonesen for some racing.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Miotta FTW!

Default update

Small update, might push the fabrication weekend back a week or so.... the cnc machine is up so I think waiting on the intake manifold will be a better idea.

Here's some quick shots of the wood test piece for my friends baseplate.

Mine will have more space between runners and a round "stack" above each. CNC machines are so much fun.

Quick Reply: gt28rs 1.6L plans and start :)