DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Oil lines lenght for a 1.8 '99? what to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 05:45 AM

Total Cats: 0
Default Oil lines lenght for a 1.8 '99? what to buy?

Hello,
my turbo miata is finally coming togheter: I have collected the turbo, manifold, ecu, injectors, map, boost controller solenoid etc...

Now it's time for the oil and water lines.

What is the lenght for the oil feed line for a 1.8 '99 starting from the oil pressure sensor to a t25 with hks manifold?

Are the swivel fittings and steel braided lines worth for oil drain and H2O lines too?

Need the drill bit and the oil pan too... I can't buy them here, because we have metrical measure, so it's a real mess...
Do you know a place where I can buy all this stuff togheter and get them shipped to italy?

Thanks! I love this forum!!!
Old 11-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 7

I just bought my oil feed line for a '99. It was 46" and I would be much more happy if it was 40" or even 37". -4AN with a straight female on one end and a 90* female on the other. I have the same HKS manifold as you.
Don't use braided lines for the coolant it's not worth it. Just use high temp silicone for the drain, it'll save you about $25. Those fittings are not under pressure.
I would suggest using hardlines coming off the turbo for coolant though, it'll keep your hoses from melting if you keep them away from the turbo for about 6" atleast.

For the feed line, take a rag measuring tape and lay it out in the path you want. That will give you a foolproof measurement.

anplumbing.com is a decent site in California to get hose and the like. Though other people have different places they use.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:08 AM

Thanks Cjernigan!

I am thinking of making my own lines with the fittings from anblumbing.

It's ok to use rubber/silicon hose for coolant instead of hard aluminium lines (I don't know how to bend them)? The heat does not crack them (rubber) after some termal cycles?

What will be the lenght for the oil drain line and coolant ones?

I know I have to use 4AN for feed and 10AN for oil drain, but what size for coolant?
Old 11-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Elite Member

If you use an HKS manifold the drain line will be right around 18".
Alot of people use the high temp silicone line because it's flexible and cheap. Even if it does go bad it won't do so for a few years. Aluminum hardlines would be a bad idea and IMO would be a waste of time and money.
Coolant line should be 3/8" pipe and hose. The hardlines off the turbo for coolant are up to you, it depends on how far away from the heat you want the rubber lines to be. About 6 inches on each side would be easy and practical. To make the hardlines you'll need a tool to re-flare the ends and another tool to bend them.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:10 AM

Yes! Just what I need! Great!

Seems that we have the same setup on the same car!!
I am putting down a list of everything i need for feeding/draining oil and coolant...i will post it later, please take a look at it!

I have read about your problems on the bb turbo seal, I am going with the t25g from sr20det red top too.

..can't see your page, do you have another link? ...should be very useful to me!
Old 11-20-2006, 06:46 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 6

This site shows the stuff you need for oil plumbing. The link is for a T3. He sells T25 kits too. You can click on the picture in the link and get a blown up picture with labels.

http://www.blaastperformance.com/index.php?p=oil-kit

Frank
Old 11-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Elite Member

I'm actually currently running a franken T25, it has components from 3 different cars. Pontiac Turbine housing, saab compressor housing and wheel and 300zx CHRA supposedly. All i know is that it came on the car and I don't like it. So I found a SR20 redtop T25 and will be installing that relatively soon hopefully with better results being faster spool and no more oil problems.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:05 PM

Ok, this is the list of fittings, adapters and lines that I think I need to feed and drain oil to my nissan S13 Garrett T25.

I tried to find a cheap 1/8" BSPT to 1/8" NPT adapter to plug the line in the oil pressure sensor port, but I have to give up because it's too explensive considering shipping to italy, if I buy it from tunertoys.

Oil feed kit:

- miata Oil filter sandwich with at least one 1/8" NPT female port;
- adapter from 1/8" NPT male to -4AN male;
- -4AN steel braided line (42") with straight and a 90° -4 AN female ends;
- adapter from -4 AN male to ?? (whats the thread for oil on the T25?)

Oil drain kit:

- adapter from ?? (what's the thread for oil on the t25?) to 1/2" NPT female (or T25 flange kit?);
- -10 AN line with one 1/2"NPT male end and one -10AN Swivel female on the other end (18");
- 45° bulkhead fitting with locknut with -10AN male ends for the pan.
- 2 copper crush washer.

Well, does it sound right?

Can I order all this from turbo supply?

Where can I find the adapters for the water lines?
Old 11-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Elite Member

Your oil lines will work but it's hard to say what your oil feed adapter at the turbo will be because they're all different. Many are 7/16" or 1/8" NPT but mine is 1/2-20 so that is something you'll have to figure out on your own. You can do that easily by taking it to a hardware store and trying different fittings/bolts in the thread until you find the correct size.
As for your drain many people use a flange bolted to the bottom with an adapter that allows you to either clamp a hose on or a press on fitting in the hose that will allow you to thread it onto the fitting in the drain flage on the turbo. I didn't use a bulkhead fitting and I don't know how they work but I think you have to put a bolt on the back of them. Someone else will have to chime in on that one. you could just drill and tap your pan, that works just fine for most people.
Waterlines, are usually done with banjo fittings and those will also be turbo specific.
If you can't find it at turbo supply then anplumbing.com has tons of adapters and whatnot, if it's not on their website then you can call and ask. I had to do that for a few things.
Everything else looks good though. You don't have to use a oil filter sandwich though. I would recommend a Distribution block that screws into your oil sender port. They're easy to install and usually have two ports in them. One for you oil sender and another for your oil line fitting.
Not sure what else you could need.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:38 AM

Ok, I will wait till my new sr20det turbo arrives and then check the thread on it..
Anyway I am sure i will have trouble finding out what thread is...
If you enter a machine shop here in italy asking for a 1/8" NPT or BSPT adapter, they look at you like you'r coming from mars.

I have tried to buy a tee with bsp adapters to source the oil from the pressure sender port, but it cost to me way too much.
Tuner Toys wants 21+73 $ for shipping it to italy.

The sandwich is a much cheaper solutions...
Old 11-24-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by jhoexp
I have tried to buy a tee with bsp adapters to source the oil from the pressure sender port, but it cost to me way too much.
Tuner Toys wants 21+73 $ for shipping it to italy.

The sandwich is a much cheaper solutions...
That's the last time I complain about shipping.

Sandwich=better idea