Anyone have any brake questions? - Page 39 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #761
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
OGRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,599
Total Cats: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
In our shop we look for discoloration of the brake fluid. It gets darker as it absorbs contaminants out of the air. Touch the bottom of the master reservoir. If you see anything stuck to your finger, screwdriver or whatever you are using, change the fluid.
Street cars, we flush once a year. Race cars get flushed 2-3x a year. Bleed after every 1-2 weekends.
yep exactly.
OGRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:25 AM   #762
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 15,250
Total Cats: 981
Default

No deets. But new kit on the market.

StopTech Big Brake Kit for Mazda Miata | Garage Star
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #763
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
OGRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,599
Total Cats: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
No deets. But new kit on the market.

StopTech Big Brake Kit for Mazda Miata | Garage Star
i wonder if those are a stoptech kit (meaning engineered by stoptech) or a kit that was engineered elsewhere and uses stoptech calipers. if it's stoptech kit i would be interested to get my hands on a set.
OGRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #764
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,617
Total Cats: 861
Default

Engineered by Stoptech. Interesting that they chose Garagestar to eval the prototype kit. We provide a huge amount of data to ST for this kit and our involvement goes back 5 years. They were dead set on a kit that was too huge to fit any wheel Miata owners actually run. It was
a task to convince them to make the kit fit inside a 15x9 6UL. We sent wheel clearance templates. They also had a target price that was comically high. When we informed them that race proven kits were already available for well under $2k, they went back to the drawing board.
I got the strong impression that ST's primary motivation was that several members of their sales, marketing and engineering staff drive Miatas and can't be seen rolling on Wilwoods for their own project cars.

Anyway, looking forward to getting our kit to checkout.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #765
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
OGRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,599
Total Cats: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
Engineered by Stoptech. Interesting that they chose Garagestar to eval the prototype kit. We provide a huge amount of data to ST for this kit and our involvement goes back 5 years. They were dead set on a kit that was too huge to fit any wheel Miata owners actually run. It was
a task to convince them to make the kit fit inside a 15x9 6UL. We sent wheel clearance templates. They also had a target price that was comically high. When we informed them that race proven kits were already available for well under $2k, they went back to the drawing board.
I got the strong impression that ST's primary motivation was that several members of their sales, marketing and engineering staff drive Miatas and can't be seen rolling on Wilwoods for their own project cars.

Anyway, looking forward to getting our kit to checkout.

i was talking to a stoptech engineer at the last msx, told them the same thing. make it fit under a 15x9 6ul. i did say that if it was a full floating kit they could sell it at $3k for a 2 axle set. i like stoptech calipers, it's their best feature. i also like that this one uses the PFC 7752 pad shape, that is cheap to run.
OGRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #766
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,617
Total Cats: 861
Default

We're fiddling around with a floating rotor setup but not sure if/what/when we'll put into production.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #767
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
OGRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,599
Total Cats: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
We're fiddling around with a floating rotor setup but not sure if/what/when we'll put into production.
if you need assistance let me know. glad to help.
OGRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #768
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,589
Total Cats: 257
Default

Several Pirelli World Challenge MX5s running stoptech kits as required by rules and I've had more than one team tell me they wouldn't be running them if they weren't required to... have had lots of issues. YMMV
ThePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #769
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
OGRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,599
Total Cats: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePass View Post
Several Pirelli World Challenge MX5s running stoptech kits as required by rules and I've had more than one team tell me they wouldn't be running them if they weren't required to... have had lots of issues. YMMV

your talking about the MX5 right? in a little sprint race like pwc a stock system should do fine.
OGRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #770
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 13,526
Total Cats: 877
Default

Curious to see what the ST kit retails for. My expectation is that it will be ~2x what a Wilwood kit costs with minimal benefit for that added cost.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #771
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,589
Total Cats: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRacing View Post
your talking about the MX5 right? in a little sprint race like pwc a stock system should do fine.
Yep, NC with 2.5L swaps. ~240 whp. The stock brakes could work, but that wouldn't be my first choice. Regardless, they are required by rules to run the ST kit (sponsors).
ThePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #772
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,617
Total Cats: 861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Curious to see what the ST kit retails for. My expectation is that it will be ~2x what a Wilwood kit costs with minimal benefit for that added cost.
That was essentially my warning to them. Gotta be <2K with some pad volume, staggered pistons, floating rotors or something like that to be worthwhile.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #773
Junior Member
 
Sirnixalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 410
Total Cats: 13
Default

wonder what size rotor they chose to go with
Sirnixalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #774
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,617
Total Cats: 861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirnixalot View Post
wonder what size rotor they chose to go with
11" thankfully. Should fit most 8's and all 9's. I have a feeling it will be a solid kit, just too expensive given the kits it's competing against already in the market.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #775
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
OGRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,599
Total Cats: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Curious to see what the ST kit retails for. My expectation is that it will be ~2x what a Wilwood kit costs with minimal benefit for that added cost.
it's all about killing the drag. the dynalights can be quite draggy. a kit with floating rotors and a strong caliper it would be good for a few more MPH before the aero drag sets in. if that speed is worth the cost, that would be up to the guy paying the bill. that and we would really need to see if the kit can actually offer that performance.
OGRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #776
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dousman, WI
Posts: 72
Total Cats: 9
Default

All right, here's a question - why are the Dynalites draggy? Just a matter of stuff distorting and causing the pistons to not move cleanly, and is there something that can be done with retrofitting different pistons / seals? And I know mention was made of the StopTech and Afco Dynalite equivalents as maybe being better - is there really anything else other than throwing huge cash at AP/Brembo for something intended for an F3 car? I know too that mention was made of needing to run similar piston material as the caliper body to have things work best, but it seems like even a lot of the AP calipers are running stainless or titanium pistons in an aluminum body - just another compromise?
mekilljoydammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #777
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 200
Total Cats: -12
Default

The brakes on my Miata have never felt progressive and smooth like I would like....

I have had the car for about 2 years and have swapped a few different combinations on that have not worked well.

2000 non-sport street and Autocross use.

Factory Non-Sport Calipers/Rotors with unknown pads/rotors (weak)
Factory Sport Calipers/Rotors with a Stop-Tech pad and rotor combo (purchased used marginally better)
- New Centric Premium Rotors and Hawk HP+ pads (too much front lock-up)

I am currently running the HP+ in the Rear and the Stop-Tech Pads in the front to keep the fronts from locking up.

I am thinking that I likely need to replace/rebuild my calipers and have been trying to weigh the option of making a change to the FM little big brakes for all 4.
Alternative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #778
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,617
Total Cats: 861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
The brakes on my Miata have never felt progressive and smooth like I would like....

I have had the car for about 2 years and have swapped a few different combinations on that have not worked well.

2000 non-sport street and Autocross use.

Factory Non-Sport Calipers/Rotors with unknown pads/rotors (weak)
Factory Sport Calipers/Rotors with a Stop-Tech pad and rotor combo (purchased used marginally better)
- New Centric Premium Rotors and Hawk HP+ pads (too much front lock-up)

I am currently running the HP+ in the Rear and the Stop-Tech Pads in the front to keep the fronts from locking up.

I am thinking that I likely need to replace/rebuild my calipers and have been trying to weigh the option of making a change to the FM little big brakes for all 4.
Just use decent, and matched pads. Same brand, perhaps different compounds. For an NB1 autocrosser, I'd suggest the same pad front and rear.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #779
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 200
Total Cats: -12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
Just use decent, and matched pads. Same brand, perhaps different compounds. For an NB1 autocrosser, I'd suggest the same pad front and rear.
i have attempted that twice with unsatisfactory results.
Alternative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #780
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 8,693
Total Cats: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekilljoydammit View Post
All right, here's a question - why are the Dynalites draggy? Just a matter of stuff distorting and causing the pistons to not move cleanly, and is there something that can be done with retrofitting different pistons / seals? And I know mention was made of the StopTech and Afco Dynalite equivalents as maybe being better - is there really anything else other than throwing huge cash at AP/Brembo for something intended for an F3 car? I know too that mention was made of needing to run similar piston material as the caliper body to have things work best, but it seems like even a lot of the AP calipers are running stainless or titanium pistons in an aluminum body - just another compromise?
They're are draggy because they're fixed calipers and fixed rotors. Thats not really just a Dynalite problem, its an all miata BBK problem.
Really anyone making custom hatted rotors could make a kit that used floating rotors. Finding a rotor thats cut with half circles instead of threaded holes off the shelf in the right size is the hard part. Extra cost would really be in the Ti floating pins and the difference in rotor price.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 53 12-07-2016 05:52 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 143 05-21-2016 06:48 PM
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 9 11-08-2015 12:58 AM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 PM.