08-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Woodbine, MD
Total Cats: 5
Leakdown test leads to decision time
Since I bought my 94 with 140K engine back in May, I knew that the engine was down on power. A compression test showed 180, 135, 125, 155. In 5K miles since, I have burned no oil, no overheating, nothing obvious that the compression is low except for lower power than I would expect, especially above 5K RPM.
This weekend I finally performed a leak down test, and quickly confirmed that Cyl 2 & 3 are just bleeding compression past the rings. I was seeing 70%+ leakage with air coming out the oil fill. Yes, engine was hot, I was TDC with valves closed, no air escaping to intake, exhaust, cooling, or adjacent cylinders. Damn, was hoping for a bad head gasket...
So, my plan was going turbo as my next step, however now I am at a decision point.
1) Continue with plan to go FM w/o electrical (already running MS3). Run until something breaks.
2) Swap in 94-97 long block (tough to find around here with <100K)
3) Swap in 99+ long block. I have a lead on a 2003 VVT with 60K for $750, including all sensors.
This will involve more work with electrical, which should not be much of an issue with the MS3, and I would need to decide how to handle the intake, will the 94 intake work on the VVT? I usually just see folks modding the fuel rail.
Interested in any insight.