Stolen Turbo Miata - Page 5 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2016, 03:52 PM   #81
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 15,192
Total Cats: 974
Default

I'm always serious about buying miatas. It sucks. I really need a different hobby.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #82
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lake Tapps, Washington
Posts: 51
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
I'm always serious about buying miatas. It sucks. I really need a different hobby.
Where you located?
ScrapinMX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #83
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 15,192
Total Cats: 974
Default

Portland. But have access to a truck and flatbed.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:09 PM   #84
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central-ish VA
Posts: 4,439
Total Cats: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girz0r View Post
Gotcha

No oil is odd, but then again I bet they were having a 'good ole time' in your car. In for more photos.
Looks like the oil bandits have moved and struck again...
neogenesis2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:13 PM   #85
SOMEOFIT
iTrader: (1)
 
Girz0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,571
Total Cats: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogenesis2004 View Post
Looks like the oil bandits have moved and struck again...
Girz0r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:18 PM   #86
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,388
Total Cats: 776
Default

Have you put new oil in the car and see what happens when you run it?
shuiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:43 PM   #87
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lake Tapps, Washington
Posts: 51
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Have you put new oil in the car and see what happens when you run it?
No I don't have extra oil atm. When I tried cranking it I was definitely getting oil pressure. I'm not really going to mess with it until insurance comes out and looks at it.
ScrapinMX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:18 PM   #88
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sandia Park, NM
Posts: 334
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogenesis2004 View Post
Looks like the oil bandits have moved and struck again...
You just made my day.
leboeuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #89
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 33,403
Total Cats: 2,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogenesis2004 View Post
Looks like the oil bandits have moved and struck again...
he comes back after 3 years of silence to post this.

and it's a flawless victory is what it is



you sir get a couple cats. welcome back
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:43 PM   #90
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,083
Total Cats: 424
Default

That is fantastic.

OP, talk to Aidan or me. We're both in Portland. I might not have money but can help facilitate stuff. Get your stuff sorted and your buyback amount and we can all figure something out.
turbofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:59 PM   #91
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 225
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
$129 Automatic Blutooth ODBII scanner with built-in GPS modul and free 3G data cservice. No monthly fees plus it works as a code reader, engine monitoring, MPG, trip logging and many other things. Would have been easy to find those ******** with one of these.
That's pretty sweet, most trackers used to have a yearly or monthly subscription, this one is good for 5 years. I wasn't aware of this. All the thing really needs for tracking is a power and ground, so you can make it work with any car just need to pin 2 wires.



So pin 4 would be ground and pin 16 would be 12V. Might need to ground 5 too but most likely not.








Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:02 PM   #92
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lake Tapps, Washington
Posts: 51
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
That's pretty sweet, most trackers used to have a yearly or monthly subscription, this one is good for 5 years. I wasn't aware of this. All the thing really needs for tracking is a power and ground, so you can make it work with any car just need to pin 2 wires.
This seems like a really solid tracking unit, but my biggest concern would be if a theif is under the dash trying to hot wire, they'll notice it in the OBDII port and most likely take it.
ScrapinMX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:11 PM   #93
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 225
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapinMX5 View Post
This seems like a really solid tracking unit, but my biggest concern would be if a theif is under the dash trying to hot wire, they'll notice it in the OBDII port and most likely take it.
Yeah it's super obvious and would probably get removed, but you can pop the obd2 out and buy an obd2 extension and hide it. Or could even splice into it to make a t harness and keep all the obd2 features. Just for tracking I would probably just hide it somewhere deep and run a power and ground to it and forget about the engine code monitoring and other stuff.

Can buy one of these https://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Obd-.../dp/B000SBCHCA to make it easier and just cut off one end so you don't have to pin any wires, and wire up whatever you need.
Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:17 PM   #94
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lake Tapps, Washington
Posts: 51
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Yeah it's super obvious and would probably get removed, but you can pop the obd2 out and buy an obd2 extension and hide it. Or could even splice into it to make a t harness and keep all the obd2 features. Just for tracking I would probably just hide it somewhere deep and run a power and ground to it and forget about the engine code monitoring and other stuff.

Can buy one of these https://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Obd-.../dp/B000SBCHCA to make it easier and just cut off one end so you don't have to pin any wires, and wire up whatever you need.
They sell units such as the Spark Nano that are completely separate from obd and you could hide it anywhere you want. I think it's battery powered and runs for ~two weeks. And it will only track while the car is in motion.
ScrapinMX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #95
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lake Tapps, Washington
Posts: 51
Total Cats: 0
Default

So I went to try and start it. Filled it up with gas and oil. Crank and no start for multiple trys. Check megasquirt and I guess the guy unpluged part of the harness. It fired up but wanted to die and idled rough. A big thing I notice was the lifters are REALLY loud. I drove it around my neiborhood and I can hear it over the engine and exhaust. What do you think could be damaged or what would I need to fix it? Motor toast? It seems like this guy drove it without oil for a while because I think I put 2 to 2.5 quarts of oil in.
ScrapinMX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #96
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Staunton, Va
Posts: 1,724
Total Cats: 120
Default

That's not low on oil. That's normal. I can't count t the amount of times my car had less than 2 quarts on the stocker. Lifters are empty. Drive it. Or let it idle. They will pump back up.
ryansmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #97
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lake Tapps, Washington
Posts: 51
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmoneypit View Post
That's not low on oil. That's normal. I can't count t the amount of times my car had less than 2 quarts on the stocker. Lifters are empty. Drive it. Or let it idle. They will pump back up.
I also filled it up to the half mark and just driving it around my neiborhood it dropped to to a quater
ScrapinMX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #98
SOMEOFIT
iTrader: (1)
 
Girz0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,571
Total Cats: 224
Default

Nothing on the ground? Maybe oil coming out of turbo?
Girz0r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #99
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lake Tapps, Washington
Posts: 51
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girz0r View Post
Nothing on the ground? Maybe oil coming out of turbo?
I can see a little line in the gravel but it's hard to tell. And no, turbo and lines seem drip free.
ScrapinMX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #100
SOMEOFIT
iTrader: (1)
 
Girz0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,571
Total Cats: 224
Default

Er, I meant leaking into the exhaust.

I would be under the car already trying to look for wet spots lol
Girz0r is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noob here, turbo miata in progress (story thread w/pics) Darbymx5 DIY Turbo Discussion 16 09-06-2016 12:34 AM
1992 Turbo 1.6 won't start after upgrading from MSPNP to MSPNP2 Buckles MSPNP 25 05-25-2016 10:58 AM
Turbo Miata rough start, poor idle and weak acceleration Ruined_miata General Miata Chat 6 03-13-2016 10:33 AM
WTT 73 volkswagen turbo beetle pan off rest for a turbo miata Euro Skank WTB 4 03-05-2016 10:04 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 PM.