Hardtop theft season is upon us, as we all know too well. I have hardtops on all of my miatas and the ONLY
reason I haven't secured my tops yet is because I live in hillbilly country where nobody even seems to know what kind of car I drive, so they are relatively safe, well and I have been lucky no doubt. That said, last winter I was quite nervous with all the thefts being reported around the bay area and I contemplated replacing the side latches with SM plates and security hardware.
The only problem is the standard security fasteners can be removed with readily availble security hardware tools. The only feasible options were custom made fasteners and tools, but they are VERY expensive and it still does little to prevent a thief from overlooking the fasteners when he busts your side window and then gives up.
I strongly believe the BEST
solution to not only prevent hardtop theft, but to provide a visual deterrent that will likely prevent busted windows is the TopLocsolution
. I met the inventor of these locks @ the Miatas@MRLS
event back in March and I was amazed with the ingenious product. At the time I wanted a set, but I was not crazy about the only available color, which was purple, however perhaps purple is the best for visual deterrence?
Note, I am NOT affiliated
with TopLocs, I am merely trying to get enough buyers so that I can get 10% off my locks. I am good for two pairs, so we only need 8 more pairs to qualify. I compiled some FAQ's as I know many people will have questions.
- On the order page you have a drop down menu for “Year of your miata”, but you only list 1999 through 2003, which is confusing because I believe the side latches are the same for all years up to 2005, right? Is there a difference for those of us with 90-97’s?
- That is a mistake. The locks should work for all makes through 2007.
- Are the TopLoc's compatible with my rollbar?
- If your factory latches work normally or as the manufacturer intended then the TopLocs will work fine.
- Are Black
anodized the only colors available?
- Yes, however if there is enough interest he will make other colors for us - thus my poll. He said he needed ~25 pairs of the SAME color to do new/custom colors.
- Instead of ordering a pair of locks, if I order a single lock(either pax side or driver's side) do I get the 10% discount?
- It depends on how many requests for pax side locks and driver's side locks there are. TopLoc's makes an even number of passenger and driver locks so he needs to sell them in pairs. Also,using only one lock theoretically will do the job however making it easy for a thief to damage the top if they try to pry the locked side off the car.
- I live in California, am I subject to CA state sales tax?
- Yes, those of us who live in Cali will be subject to CA sales tax.
- What is the cost of shipping?
- Shipping will be $8 for single or pair
- Is international shipping available?
- TopLoc will ship them anywhere but the shipping cost will be passed on to the customer. Shipping to Canada was about $15 fwiw.
will we be able to order them at the discounted rate?
- When we have at least 10 people with commits to buying a pair the owner will provide me with the discount code, which I will pass on to each of the GB participants.
- MiniMe - Clear, Burnt Orange, Red or Blue
- FRT_Fun(Mturbo.net) -Black
- RunninOnEmpty(Mturbo.net) - Red or Clear
- Eunos R(NCR.net) - Burnt Orange or Red
- Saphire NB8C(NCR.net) - Blue or Black
- b00staholic(NCR.net) - any
- Papa Smurf(NCR.net) - any