Originally Posted by samnavy
Yah, but most of the "things" you do to your car you're probably doing for the first or second time. (...) call Corky over and have him stand behind you and tell you exactly what to do step-by-step... I bet your man-hours drop off dramatically.
I know, it's just the general idea of how often my car goes under the wrench, as opposed to who is doing the work or how long it takes.
Most folks with "normal" cars probably incur one shop hour per 50-100 driving hours. The occasional 15 minute oil change, a set of tires here or there. Over the course of the past few years, my car has probably spent 2-3 shop hours per driving hour. And it's not the fault of maintenance at all- apart from the fact that I'm more ---- about wheel alignment and proper coolant flushes than Dick and Jane Average, my car doesn't really require any more routine maintenance than any other. It's all the projects that kill me.
* First, let's install an EMU and new injectors and a WBO2 and a MAP sensor and ...
* I think I'll build a cool mount for my in-car tuning tablet.
* Next, time for a turbo. Oh, gotta do custom AN plumbing of course.
* There'd be more space in here if I ripped out the A/C.
* Ok, now let's fabricate some custom intercooler piping and hang a big FMIC.
* BOV time. The intake pipe goes under the welder again.
* You know what, that FM BOV sucks. Re-jigger everything to fit a Chinese greddy knockoff.
* Hmm. I'd better replace the diff and axles.
* AFM removal time. A week's worth of datalogging and number-crunching.
* Guess I don't need to recirculate the BOV anymore. Fabricate mount to install K&N filter on BOV (my very first lathe project) and plug hole in suction side of turbo plumbing.
* Ok, time for a total suspension makeover, with revalved Bilsteins and custom-fabbed spring spacers.
* Hey, water-injection sounds cool. Intake pipe goes under welder for third time.
* Yeah, that was great, but I need a bigger tank. And ooh, I'll go ahead and build an automatic transfer pump and a failsafe system to defeat the MBC unless the WI system is pressurized.
* This wastegate can sucks. I think I'll fit a different one- custom bracket time.
* Hey, this Megasquirt thing sounds cool. Intake pipe goes under welder for fourth time (IAT). Also, I think I'll go ahead and fabricate a whole new engine sub-harness while I'm in there.
* Aargh, I can't get my CAS to work right. (x3)
* I know, I'll fabricate a totally custom crankwheel setup.
With all due respect to E-7 Bell, I don't think he'd of been much help on many of those.