12-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Total Cats: 40
My adventure-filled road trip (AKA careful when you load your old .msq)
[RANT]So I'm driving from Monterey, CA to San Angelo, TX for the next phase of my job change in the Army. All was going well until a spot on CA-58 where I ran into what cacn only be described as a blizzard. Traffic came to a standstill for 5 hours, only crawling forward every 45 minutes or so for a few yards. Starting going was terrible on RS2s...
I pulled off for the night to a hotel and waited it out, after slipping and sliding all over the hotel's parking lot, which was just an ice sheet. In the morning I fishtailed it back to the highway (which was plowed and salted by now) and headed toward Mojave which was, mercifully, dry.
About this time I started to play with the throttle and go into boost. I noticed I now had a very sharp limiter when I tried to boost over 6 psi or so, depending on load. Over the next few hours, this became a 2 psi limit, then a 0 psi limit, then a 5"hg limit... something not right. We were headed to Phoenix so I had no choice really but to press on. I gave Qckslvr a call and we mulled over some ideas, the main one being that I didn't have spark on at least a couple cylinders. Worse still, I didn't have a spark plug socket in my tools I'd packed.
So after I woke up Phoenix, I headed down to Vatozone and bought a socket and new plugs. Called Qckslvr again (a very smart and patient fellow) after I noticed coils 2 and 3 had begun to come apart. He suggested I wrap them in good electrical tape and that worked for a few blocks, so I could get to the Checker across the street and order two new coils. Once they came in, I installed them and all was good. Until...
I way down the road I tried to boost, and found a new limiter at 10 psi. Crap. A little way longer and I realized that about a month ago, I had stumbled across my dyno thread which I posted my first post-dyno .msq in. I loaded it up, thinking nothing of it, and it worked for short trips to base and back. It was an .msq with settings for stock ignition...
Once I finally got the laptop to play nice (thanks again to Qckslvr for pointing out that the USB adapter must be TIGHTLY connected to the cable) I loaded the CoP dwell settings and continued. This morning (in Las Cruces, NM), I found that the #1 coil was beginning to split, so I wrapped it and it will have to do until I reach San Angelo. I suppose I'll put up a WTB ad for a set of good used Corolla coils...
That, levnubhin, is the difference between 3.5 and 5.5 ms.