The Random Pictures Thread. Only Rule: Post here more and entertain me. - Page 1362 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #27221
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,650
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girz0r View Post
I wonder how fast it goes
Derspite the small efficiency gain from the improved aerodynamics (drafting effect), I can't see why ten locomotives ganged together, on flat ground, would have a higher top speed than one all by itself. Most modern diesel electrics are gear-limited, and can achieve top speed even while pulling a train. 6,200 HP is a lot.




Attached Thumbnails
The Random Pictures Thread. Only Rule: Post here more and entertain me.-80-undefined_e43c379210d921d1a2e2cb39993f80ad8aa04d17.png  
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #27222
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 14,785
Total Cats: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2go View Post


serves me right for not crediting the original video.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #27223
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 14,785
Total Cats: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Aside from a small performance gain from the improved aerodynamics (drafting effect), I can't see why ten locomotives ganged together, on flat ground, would have a significantly higher top speed than one all by itself.




depends on whether or not one locomotive can reach its max speed. Thats like saying a bugatti veyron has the same top speed whether you keep the v16 in it or swap in a B6 engine.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #27224
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,650
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
Thats like saying a bugatti veyron has the same top speed whether you keep the v16 in it or swap in a B6 engine.
No, it's not like that. It is, however, like saying that a stock NB has the same top speed as one making 250 HP. Because it does.

When we say that a vehicle is "gear limited," we are saying that the maximum speed of the vehicle is limited not by the amount of power that its engine can produce relative to its aerodynamic drag, but by the gearing of the drivetrain relative to redline RPM.

Assuming that they have the same transmission, differential and rear-end, a stock NB and an NB producing 250 HP both have the same top speed, because the stock NB is fully capable of reaching redline in 5th or 6th gear. It just takes longer to get there.


The loco shown in the pictures is a GE Evolution series, which is primarily used in freight service. I'm not sure which specific model (they range from a 4,400 HP V12 to a 6,200 HP V16), but they are all geared for 70-75 MPH. The higher HP models simply have more dead-weight (towing) capacity and are better suited for use on western routes where they deal with greater inclines.

The GE Genesis series passenger locomotives (which is what I used to ride every day when I lived upstate) use a related family of engines and drivetrains, but in that application, they're geared for 110 MPH at the expense of a lower towing capacity. Passenger trains tend to be much shorter and lighter than freight trains, and demand greater speeds.




Attached Thumbnails
The Random Pictures Thread. Only Rule: Post here more and entertain me.-80-10_mistakes_f45c238e410908c75349b2e94bcab88f6ba50b49.jpg  
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #27225
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 14,785
Total Cats: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
No, it's not like that. It is, however, like saying that a stock NB has the same top speed as one making 250 HP. Because it does.

When we say that a vehicle is "gear limited," we are saying that the maximum speed of the vehicle is limited not by the amount of power that its engine can produce relative to its aerodynamic drag, but by the gearing of the drivetrain relative to redline RPM.

Assuming that they have the same transmission, differential and rear-end, a stock NB and an NB producing 250 HP both have the same top speed, because the stock NB is fully capable of reaching redline in 5th or 6th gear. It just takes longer to get there.


The loco shown in the pictures is a GE Evolution series, which is primarily used in freight service. I'm not sure which specific model (they range from a 4,400 HP V12 to a 6,200 HP V16), but they are all geared for 70-75 MPH. The higher HP models simply have more dead-weight (towing) capacity and are better suited for use on western routes where they deal with greater inclines.

The GE Genesis series passenger locomotives (which is what I used to ride every day when I lived upstate) use a related family of engines and drivetrains, but in that application, they're geared for 110 MPH at the expense of a lower towing capacity. Passenger trains tend to be much shorter and lighter than freight trains, and demand greater speeds.




Which is why i said "it depends on if one locomotive can reach its max speed". Which is different wording for "it depends on if it is gear limited"
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #27226
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,650
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
Which is why i said "it depends on if one locomotive can reach its max speed". Which is different wording for "it depends on if it is gear limited"
Which is exactly what I said in the first reply I made on the subject, post # 27221. "Most modern diesel electrics are gear-limited."


Attached Thumbnails
The Random Pictures Thread. Only Rule: Post here more and entertain me.-80-fc0b562e928fc76d205087ca5cb9b7f6_a9be468364891dc145623692753f5e4b363b2264.jpg  
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #27227
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 14,785
Total Cats: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Which is exactly what I said in the first reply I made on the subject, post # 27221. "Most modern diesel electrics are gear-limited."


Which was a ninja edit made after my initial response

aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #27228
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,249
Total Cats: 102
Default

Attached Thumbnails
The Random Pictures Thread. Only Rule: Post here more and entertain me.-tip_ny_1008_01.jpg  
good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #27229
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,650
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
Which was a ninja edit made after my initial response
Fair enough.

It took a minute for my brain to say "wait a sec, no that's wrong. The drift effect will improve per-loco economy slightly, but unladen top speed isn't limited by HP on these things like it was back in Doc Brown's day."


Attached Thumbnails
The Random Pictures Thread. Only Rule: Post here more and entertain me.-80-redhead600x350_9a7d85ad2c7e2f538fc7756cb7c58bf1d022db0b.jpg  
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #27230
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 14,785
Total Cats: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Fair enough.

It took a minute for my brain to say "wait a sec, no that's wrong. The drift effect will improve per-loco economy slightly, but unladen top speed isn't limited by HP on these things like it was back in Doc Brown's day."


And here I was thinking I had finally been smarter than Joe P

Time to go delete all the screenshots of proof recorded in case my genius was edited by a moderator.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #27231
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,422
Total Cats: 106
Default

ouch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybx2...ature=youtu.be
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #27232
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,650
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

How many different layers and filters did I use on this grainy, under-exposed cell phone shot taken while on my way home this evening?









Unrelated:


Attached Thumbnails
The Random Pictures Thread. Only Rule: Post here more and entertain me.-80-1st_ave_9465e67b4e57f260f839f2f7d80c9683cf6c86ae.jpg   The Random Pictures Thread. Only Rule: Post here more and entertain me.-80-undefined_9ce06adb73cd097e49a61a75b2c43eb1b2d2f760.png  
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #27233
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,396
Total Cats: 356
Default

Attached Thumbnails
The Random Pictures Thread. Only Rule: Post here more and entertain me.-80-ask_me_about_my_ninja_disguise_t_shirt_e6659a2e86982b37bf4612afc174346e1ac849dc.jpg  
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #27234
SOMEOFIT
iTrader: (1)
 
Girz0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,506
Total Cats: 219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Ninja Shirt
I've used this one in the past, works great for allergies when mowing the lawn

Attached Thumbnails
The Random Pictures Thread. Only Rule: Post here more and entertain me.-ninjalesson.jpg  
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #27235
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,101
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
How many different layers and filters did I use on this grainy, under-exposed cell phone shot taken while on my way home this evening?
I'll bring my big camera to NYC if you wear a red wig for me...



I'll be able to get more than a few strands of hair in focus.


Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #27236
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,869
Total Cats: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girz0r View Post
I've used this one in the past, works great for allergies when mowing the lawn

Do this with a white shirt and yell allahu ackbaaar See what happens
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #27237
Boost Czar

iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 70,101
Total Cats: 1,400
Default

Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:12 PM   #27238
Elite Member
 
DNMakinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seneca, SC
Posts: 1,779
Total Cats: 158
Default

Attached Thumbnails
The Random Pictures Thread. Only Rule: Post here more and entertain me.-80-image_d573f5ef5f2f822f71a813000a2b99cd36f533fc.jpeg  
DNMakinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #27239
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,173
Total Cats: 198
Default

TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #27240
Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13,392
Total Cats: 1,015
Default

Exceeded the wing load and sheared off a wing at an airshow but BRS parachute saves his *** (Jump to 2:00):

sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 52 08-28-2016 05:18 AM
1991 special edition with hard top full part out JC, NJ russian Miata parts for sale/trade 6 10-08-2015 04:01 PM
wiring wideband ground to battery terminal btabor ECUs and Tuning 10 09-28-2015 06:33 PM


Tags
bbbjtcws, fap damage critical, fapanoidus, fapanomanon, furious fap damage, joe perez, mlp porn, mods' asleep; post ponies, pirate treasure, redhead fine art, wetwork, where's my pants

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 AM.