Yet Another Gun Thread - Page 105 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #2081
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -28
Default

I thought about it a little and I'd maybe carry my FSN more often than I usually do.

Typically I've got my Glock 20 on deck loaded wit dem 200 grain solid cast lead boolits. ---- a hollow point.
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #2082
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -28
Default

on the subject of possible civil repercussions, I usually only carry ammunition one can buy off the shelf at Walmart.
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #2083
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manassas, Virginia
Posts: 1,243
Total Cats: 53
Default

Damn. .32 didn't make it through a winter coat? Guess I'm gonna need to upgrade to a S&W 500 or just open carry my AR . Well I know most shootouts happen within like 15 feet or something so accuracy isn't usually an issue (for the hardware at least), but I thought it would be nice to have something I can really reach out with if I wanted to pick off a coyote or something. Also, I have a pretty small frame so I'm pretty much stuck to single stack mags which means less carrying capacity. To solve that I just carry a spare mag in an old Leatherman case on my belt, but that's kind of annoying sometimes. I thought about getting a full size 9 or .40 for winter when I have a big coat and can conceal better, but I always have to take it off at some point. Maybe I'll just start wearing a suit...or carry a purse .
mx5autoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #2084
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusha View Post
on the subject of possible civil repercussions, I usually only carry ammunition one can buy off the shelf at Walmart.
Obviously I do as well.


What's wrong with the CW9? That's a fine carry pistol, far superior to my Keltec.. *shrug* Just my opinion.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #2085
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5autoxer View Post
Damn. .32 didn't make it through a winter coat? Guess I'm gonna need to upgrade to a S&W 500 or just open carry my AR . Well I know most shootouts happen within like 15 feet or something so accuracy isn't usually an issue (for the hardware at least), but I thought it would be nice to have something I can really reach out with if I wanted to pick off a coyote or something. Also, I have a pretty small frame so I'm pretty much stuck to single stack mags which means less carrying capacity. To solve that I just carry a spare mag in an old Leatherman case on my belt, but that's kind of annoying sometimes. I thought about getting a full size 9 or .40 for winter when I have a big coat and can conceal better, but I always have to take it off at some point. Maybe I'll just start wearing a suit...or carry a purse .
you actually carry an extra magazine? have you ever look at statistics for shootings? are you a terrible shot?

I'm continually surprised at how many people carry more than one magazine.

BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY, AMIRITE????????????
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #2086
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Most cops I know carry 4 17 rounders...
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #2087
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -28
Default

yes but the police are generally awful shots

also, are you a cop? do you expect to be in a situation where you are legally able to discharge, say, more than 3 rounds? if you don't think you'd be able to eliminate any threat you may feel on your life with even a single round, then you may want to reconsider carrying a firearm.

any smart litigator could paint you as a maniacal vigilante if you're toting more than one magazine.
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #2088
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Yep, with my k0p ki11ah bullets too.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #2089
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,215
Total Cats: 21
Default

Once charging handle/buffer tube and barrel arrive this week I should be ready to finish. Unless I've forgotten something else

Attached Thumbnails
Yet Another Gun Thread-2012-06-03_19-41-16_489.jpg  
Splitime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #2090
Elite Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,184
Total Cats: 321
Default

Cool. Any reason you went with non-black grip and stock?
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #2091
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,215
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleete View Post
Cool. Any reason you went with non-black grip and stock?
Got them for 40 bucks from a local vs ~80 retail. I also have a sling on the way in the same color to coordinate now
Splitime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #2092
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Pen2_the_penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 3,688
Total Cats: 93
Default

Dat bolt carrier
Pen2_the_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #2093
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 5,837
Total Cats: 143
Default

The "what's the smallest round you would carry" question is more common than "Ford or Chevy".

We all know bottom line is shot placement. Yup, you can take a couple .45's to the chest and walk away fine... or a .25 to the leg and bleed out your femoral in a few minutes.

A guy who takes 3x .357's the chest and still swings a bat at you means you get to shoot him at least 2 more times. It's also falls into the category of "if I'm going to plan for scenarios this far off the curve, I should consider never leaving my bed again."

When you do all the homework on Caliber/Capacity/Brand/Type/Ammo/CarryMethod/Penetration/Expansion/Placement/etc... what you come down to is simply playing the odds.

The odds are if you ever have to draw and fire, it will be against a single perp. If you want to play the odds even further, it will be in low'ish light, he will have a weapon of some kind, and it will be at extremely close (if not point-blank) range.

The next variable is simply what you're willing to put up with carrying. If your ideal carry weapon is small, then a 5-shot .357 snub with a grip-laser is the ultimate CCW.

If you want more ammo, then a single-stack 9mm.
If you can go with a larger gun, then a Glock 30.
If you can go larger, then a Glock 23.

This is open for debate, but the odds are that if you ever have to fire, it will be against one dude, at night, he won't be carrying a gun, he will be within arms reach, and you will fire one, maybe 2 shots. A .357 snub with a Crimson Trace grip can't be beat if you play the odds.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #2094
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (6)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,481
Total Cats: 373
Default

Absolute minimum I'd use? .22 Magnum, but I'd choose something else. My normal carry rotates between a S&W .38 snub (w/ one speed strip), a Kahr CM9 (w/ one extra mag), and a Kahr P45 (w/ one extra mag).

Also have a full size 9mm pistol and a Ruger SP101 .357 but I never carry those.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #2095
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitime View Post
Who was it in our midst that tried out the composite AR lowers? I'm debating using one for my lightweight/competition build.

I want to know how it is holding up.
That was me, actually. Bought my first in 2006 (iirc) and still holds up fine, hasn't fallen apart yet. Have since picked up 2 more from the same manufacturer.

My digital shipping scale is broken, my digital bathroom scale won't measure down this low, so here's my sunbeam bathroom scale:


About 7.25 pounds loaded. Fully loaded steel magazine is something like 1.25 pounds, give or take an oz here or there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Absolute minimum I'd use? .22 Magnum, but I'd choose something else. My normal carry rotates between a S&W .38 snub (w/ one speed strip), a Kahr CM9 (w/ one extra mag), and a Kahr P45 (w/ one extra mag).

Also have a full size 9mm pistol and a Ruger SP101 .357 but I never carry those.
A PMR30 with 30 rounds of .22mag would probably mess someones day up, but that's not a reliable round or a reliable gun.
Attached Thumbnails
Yet Another Gun Thread-img_8243.jpg  
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #2096
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (6)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,481
Total Cats: 373
Default

Agreed, I'd generally avoid rimfire rounds for SD, but a 8 or 9 rd .22 mag revolver isn't a terrible choice for the extremely recoil-sensitive shooter.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #2097
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,215
Total Cats: 21
Default

Built.

Hopefully it works

Attached Thumbnails
Yet Another Gun Thread-2012-06-05_20-22-30_99.jpg  
Splitime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #2098
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 277
Total Cats: 24
Default

Bought a M&P Shield 9 a few weeks ago. Ran 150 rounds through it last week, no failures. Can't get my pinky on the grip with the 7 round mag, but still feels fine, very little recoil, cycles great.

Pistol started to feel kind of slippery after 75+ rounds and once my hand started to get sweaty, was hot at the indoor range. May put some grip tape, or get it stippled if it bothers me in the future.
RussellT94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #2099
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
The "what's the smallest round you would carry" question is more common than "Ford or Chevy".

We all know bottom line is shot placement. Yup, you can take a couple .45's to the chest and walk away fine... or a .25 to the leg and bleed out your femoral in a few minutes.

A guy who takes 3x .357's the chest and still swings a bat at you means you get to shoot him at least 2 more times. It's also falls into the category of "if I'm going to plan for scenarios this far off the curve, I should consider never leaving my bed again."

When you do all the homework on Caliber/Capacity/Brand/Type/Ammo/CarryMethod/Penetration/Expansion/Placement/etc... what you come down to is simply playing the odds.

The odds are if you ever have to draw and fire, it will be against a single perp. If you want to play the odds even further, it will be in low'ish light, he will have a weapon of some kind, and it will be at extremely close (if not point-blank) range.

The next variable is simply what you're willing to put up with carrying. If your ideal carry weapon is small, then a 5-shot .357 snub with a grip-laser is the ultimate CCW.

If you want more ammo, then a single-stack 9mm.
If you can go with a larger gun, then a Glock 30.
If you can go larger, then a Glock 23.

This is open for debate, but the odds are that if you ever have to fire, it will be against one dude, at night, he won't be carrying a gun, he will be within arms reach, and you will fire one, maybe 2 shots. A .357 snub with a Crimson Trace grip can't be beat if you play the odds.
have babies with me
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #2100
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

I went shooting with a blind guy today.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Tags
trump 2016

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 AM.