Yet Another Gun Thread - Page 177 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #3521
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,662
Total Cats: 227
Default

Just got some windowed pmags in from botach when i ordered them RIGHT after sandy hook but before the hysteria really took off.

Attached Thumbnails
Yet Another Gun Thread-o3n5fzg.jpg  
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #3522
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Nice.

I'd probably get a different rear sight myself, but otherwise nice and simple.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #3523
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,662
Total Cats: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
Nice.

I'd probably get a different rear sight myself, but otherwise nice and simple.
Thanks! I'm debating between a better iron sight, or an optic like a Eotech/aimpoint. It's going to be a nice optic if i get one though.

Any ideas anyone?
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #3524
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,758
Total Cats: 749
Default

Awwwwww yeahhhhhhh

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013...able-receiver/



I just downloaded their entire CAD file pack, now waiting for the SWAT team to knock on the door
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #3525
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,662
Total Cats: 227
Default

Lots of win there. Glad to see these printed lowers becoming more reliable.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #3526
Elite Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,187
Total Cats: 325
Default

Does anyone know if you can buy unmachined lowers? Do they have the serial numbers in the raw state? Does anyone know the laws regarding possesing such pieces?

What about if I machine one for my own use? Do I have to stamp a number on it? If so, is there a format for determining that number?

Keep in mind I live in NYS: home of the antigun *****.
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #3527
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,758
Total Cats: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpul Industries Corp. via Facebook
We are proud to announce that within a matter of days we will be going live with a new program. Due to a bill currently moving through the Colorado legislature, there is the possibility that Colorado residents' ability to purchase standard capacity magazines will soon be infringed. Before that happens, and Magpul is forced to leave the state in order to keep to our principles, we will be doing our best to get standard capacity PMAGs into the hands of any Colorado resident that wants them.

Verified Colorado residents will be able to purchase up to ten (10) standard capacity AR/M4 magazines directly from Magpul, and will be given immediate flat-rate $5 shipping, bypassing our current order queue.

Our customers outside of Colorado, please know that our PMAG production will continue at an ever-increasing rate until we do relocate, shipments to our distributors in other states will continue, and that we do not expect relocation to significantly impact PMAG production. We are also aware that Colorado is not the only state with existing or pending magazine capacity restrictions; we are working on programs for other affected states as well.

Full details and instructions will be announced when we are able to go live; please watch here for the coming announcement.
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #3528
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,044
Total Cats: 178
Default

If you get an EOTech, the hard sight is literally nothing more than a back-up sight. If this is the case, then your MBUS is beyond sufficient. A set of AA batteries in an EOTech will last well over 500 hours of continuous use at the median brightness on alkaline batteries, and far more hours than that at lower brightness levels - and it isn't possible to cause an EOtech to remain "on" for more than 8 continuous hours without interaction with the sight - this means you would have to accidentally leave the sight "on" over 60 times before the low battery indicator lets you know that you've got less than 24 hours of battery life left - install lithium batteries and you'll get significantly more life out of the sight. Add to the fact that you can get attachments to hold AA batteries to your weapon system, and that AA batteries wont exactly be difficult to come by in even a post-apocolyptic state (especially since AA batteries will work in an eotech long after they've become "useless" in many other electronic devices due to the extremely low current requirements) and the only thing you should *really* be using your MBUS for is if the EOTech malfunctions, which is also unlikely given the design considerations of the unit - waterproof and shockproof construction of the simple electronics, self-insulated crush resistant design of the metal encapsulating shroud, etc., etc.

If you can shoot golfball sized groups at 25 meters with iron sights, you'll shoot dime-sized groups with EOTech quality non-magnifying optics
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #3529
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,758
Total Cats: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleete View Post
Does anyone know if you can buy unmachined lowers? Do they have the serial numbers in the raw state? Does anyone know the laws regarding possesing such pieces?

What about if I machine one for my own use? Do I have to stamp a number on it? If so, is there a format for determining that number?

Keep in mind I live in NYS: home of the antigun *****.
You've been hanging out with the 80% crowd, haven't you?

I know that the more adventurous can still get away with it here in CA. We have no state laws that I'm aware of that restrict this. As long as you are not breaking any of the "other rules" (full auto and the like) you should be fine. I also know you can also NEVER transfer. But I can't honestly say for NY.

I'm not that cowboy personally. LE out here has a hard enough time not shitting their pants or getting a hard-on when they find someone with an OLL, couldn't imagine what would happen with a lower "in the white" with no markings.
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #3530
Elite Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,187
Total Cats: 325
Default

Nah, just a amateur machinist wanting to make something myself. Not willing to break the law just to do it, though.
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #3531
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,210
Total Cats: 750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
Awwwwww yeahhhhhhh

Watch the New and Improved Printable Gun Spew Hundreds of Bullets | Danger Room | Wired.com



I just downloaded their entire CAD file pack, now waiting for the SWAT team to knock on the door
I am about to download all the plans. I also have reasonable access to a 3d printer I believe. It is very possible that if I can get time on the printer and we have the right materials I might be printing me out a few LR's.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #3532
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,177
Total Cats: 198
Default

I'm considering downloading them too, just for laughs. Our printer is an older break-away style support system which would be nearly impossible to remove from inside the receiver. Unless you print it in two halves and glue it together, or something. The newer water soluble support machines/materials are the ones to use. Or the $$ laser machines.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #3533
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,758
Total Cats: 749
Default

FYI: The torrent is FAST but the direct links on their site keep timing out. Lots of other parts in the megapack too. Mags, ambi selectors, etc
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #3534
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,210
Total Cats: 750
Default

When I get home from work I will grab as much as I can. For now I just downloaded the newer LR plans. I am also not sure of details on the 3d printer I have access to. So I will have to get all that from some friends.

I am wondering what the legality of renting out the 3d printer at a gun show, then selling the plastic and letting people print their own lower's.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #3535
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,758
Total Cats: 749
Default

You can lease a Dimension 1200 for $610/mo according to the website.

If you make the user supply their own materials (purchased from you in a separate transaction) and then sublet/rent time on the machine from you, and they push "Start"...
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #3536
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,662
Total Cats: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
If you get an EOTech, the hard sight is literally nothing more than a back-up sight. If this is the case, then your MBUS is beyond sufficient. A set of AA batteries in an EOTech will last well over 500 hours of continuous use at the median brightness on alkaline batteries, and far more hours than that at lower brightness levels - and it isn't possible to cause an EOtech to remain "on" for more than 8 continuous hours without interaction with the sight - this means you would have to accidentally leave the sight "on" over 60 times before the low battery indicator lets you know that you've got less than 24 hours of battery life left - install lithium batteries and you'll get significantly more life out of the sight. Add to the fact that you can get attachments to hold AA batteries to your weapon system, and that AA batteries wont exactly be difficult to come by in even a post-apocolyptic state (especially since AA batteries will work in an eotech long after they've become "useless" in many other electronic devices due to the extremely low current requirements) and the only thing you should *really* be using your MBUS for is if the EOTech malfunctions, which is also unlikely given the design considerations of the unit - waterproof and shockproof construction of the simple electronics, self-insulated crush resistant design of the metal encapsulating shroud, etc., etc.

If you can shoot golfball sized groups at 25 meters with iron sights, you'll shoot dime-sized groups with EOTech quality non-magnifying optics
This is basically my school of thought. IF the eotech/aimpoint ever fails (not likely for either of those sights from what I've read) i can rip it off and use my MBUS. I'm certainly proficient with the iron sights, but I really think a nice optic would make target acquisition quicker and more accurate.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #3537
Elite Member
iTrader: (32)
 
RotorNutFD3S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Newnan, GA
Posts: 2,530
Total Cats: 27
Default

Why rip it off? Just use the MBUS through it, it works.
RotorNutFD3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #3538
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,662
Total Cats: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorNutFD3S View Post
Why rip it off? Just use the MBUS through it, it works.
Good point. I forgot it would work like that. Even better.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #3539
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,177
Total Cats: 198
Default

How bout I print out some 25% scale receivers as keychains
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #3540
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireindc View Post
Thanks! I'm debating between a better iron sight, or an optic like a Eotech/aimpoint. It's going to be a nice optic if i get one though.

Any ideas anyone?
I believe my brother has an Eotech on his M4 service rifle which he likes. I like the Trijicon ACOG RCO on my A4, as long as you know the correct aim points your golden with it.
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Tags
trump 2016

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 AM.