Yet Another Gun Thread - Page 257 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #5121
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 5,838
Total Cats: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
If we are talking lever action rifles for the farm I have great trouble not mentioning the 30-30 Marlin.
You mean a Marlin rifle in 30-30 Winchester... I know what you mean. Don't forget about Henry Rifles... or Winchester if you've got the money.

Great caliber with the potential for up to Moose at close range. 2000ftlbs at the muzzle but not an inherently accurate caliber. Accurizing a factory lever action almost certainly requires a custom re-barrel. Plus it'll destroy pelts and half the meat on smaller critters. I absolutely understand the bad-***'ness of an iron-sights lever gun and would rock one in a leather saddle scabbard like the Duke. Overkill for a farm gun, but worth consideration for a Ranch Rifle if you've got woods close enough where there are larger predators like bears and cougars.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #5122
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,857
Total Cats: -4
Default

Sam - thanks for the awesome, informative post. While .17HMR sounds awesome all around, the cost of ammo is a big turn off for me. I think .22LR is more than sufficient for what I need. (See below)

Monk - it seems I should have clarified, I don't own a farm or a big ranch. We have ~2 acres in a small rural neighborhood (each property is 1+ acres). We have some egg laying hens (had 10 plus two chicks, now down to 7 plus the chicks), but those are our only "farm" animals. We have a small chicken coop and a decent sized run fenced in for them.

Critters needing killing are likely possums, maybe raccoons. We lost a chick earlier this year and put out a trap and caught a possum. After we lost the first hen a couple weeks ago we put out the trap again and caught another possum. After catching that possum we had two further murders so we're not sure what we're trapping is the culprit or not.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I'm leaning towards a sub $200 off the shelf .22 (if there is such a thing).

I think further down the road we would like to step up to 10+ acres. At that time I would likely step up to a .17hmr like Mr. Sam outlined above.
Efini~FC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #5123
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
calteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 269
Total Cats: 18
Default

Have any of the firearm related black Friday deals been posted? I think Cabelas got posted, but **** that place.
calteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:08 AM   #5124
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,294
Total Cats: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calteg View Post
Have any of the firearm related black Friday deals been posted? I think Cabelas got posted, but **** that place.
Academy Sports Black Friday 2015 Ad Scan (Starts Wednesday Evening, Nov 25th) | Slickguns

Bass Pro Shops Black Friday 2015 Ad | Slickguns

Dick's Sporting Goods Black Friday 2015 Ads and Sales | Slickguns

Gander Mountain Black Friday 2015 Deals, Sales & Ads | Slickdeals
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #5125
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,857
Total Cats: -4
Default

Marlin 795 for $110 sounds pretty good to me (price wise), but I am not a Black Friday sort of person...
Efini~FC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #5126
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,216
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efini~FC3S View Post
Marlin 795 for $110 sounds pretty good to me (price wise), but I am not a Black Friday sort of person...
Agreed, I like mine. Tech sights and a Boyd thumbhole stock made it a nice shooter. More than accurate enough for my plinking needs and I also purchased for a price like this.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #5127
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,399
Total Cats: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efini~FC3S View Post
Monk - it seems I should have clarified, I don't own a farm or a big ranch. We have ~2 acres in a small rural neighborhood (each property is 1+ acres). We have some egg laying hens (had 10 plus two chicks, now down to 7 plus the chicks), but those are our only "farm" animals. We have a small chicken coop and a decent sized run fenced in for them.

Critters needing killing are likely possums, maybe raccoons. We lost a chick earlier this year and put out a trap and caught a possum. After we lost the first hen a couple weeks ago we put out the trap again and caught another possum. After catching that possum we had two further murders so we're not sure what we're trapping is the culprit or not.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I'm leaning towards a sub $200 off the shelf .22 (if there is such a thing).

I think further down the road we would like to step up to 10+ acres. At that time I would likely step up to a .17hmr like Mr. Sam outlined above.
In that scenario, I would still look at 22mag or 17hmr.
I use my 22lr exclusively for squirrels, rabbits, and paper.
Raccoons are a tough critter. I'm not saying a 22lr won't kill one, because it will. A skilled shooter could kill damn near anything with one given the right conditions.
I just firmly believe in ethically killing even pests, and that means using an adequate cartridge for a fast kill across a broad set of conditions (boiler shot vs headshot, windy day, etc.).
On that note, I don't think 17HMR is an ethical choice for coyote at 200yds.
It is absolutely true that the 17hmr is incredibly accurate and flat shooting, but it doesn't have the energy to reliably anchor a dog at extended ranges.
At least not the big ******* with wolf DNA (seriously) we have around here.
I would trust my 22mag out to 100yds, which is a long shot for coyote around here.
22wmr doesn't start to drop off until around that range anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Yet Another Gun Thread-80-17n22_5a291f0d05da4cd4b454d68535932b4e942f855b.png  
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #5128
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 5,838
Total Cats: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I just firmly believe in ethically killing even pests, and that means using an adequate cartridge for a fast kill across a broad set of conditions (boiler shot vs headshot, windy day, etc.).
On that note, I don't think 17HMR is an ethical choice for coyote at 200yds.
It is absolutely true that the 17hmr is incredibly accurate and flat shooting, but it doesn't have the energy to reliably anchor a dog at extended ranges.
At least not the big ******* with wolf DNA (seriously) we have around here.
I agree on every point.

Now that we're only talking about an acre at a time in a "rural neighborhood", there is a legal aspect of being able to discharge a firearm within a certain distance of a dwelling... gotta know the specific laws in that particular area. Hell, even a pellet gun might be verboten.

However, looks like a .22lr with one of the less noisy ammo choices might be a good idea. CCI Quiets shot a 2" group from my Savage FVSR at 50yds... plenty accurate for anything bigger than a squirrel, so possums and coons should be no problem. However, you definitely want a quick ethical kill, because the last thing you want is the damned thing crawling into your neighbors yard and him finding it and throwing a ****-fit... either about you killing it, or WORSE, not killing it. In that case, full power HP's recommended. Take a shot from inside the house and the neighbors will likely never hear... or will hear and as long as they don't hear another one, won't give it a second thought.

And just to let you know where I really stand... let me leave this right here.
Huntertown Arms - Suppressors for everyone - warrantied beyond life

Don't forget about disposal... don't put the thing in your garbage unless you smother it in febreeze and triple-bag the shiz out of it.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #5129
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,399
Total Cats: 356
Default

Yessss. Huntertown is awesome, and local to me.
I just might stop by this week.
Didn't realize those 22 suppressors were so cheap.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:17 PM   #5130
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 5,838
Total Cats: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Yessss. Huntertown is awesome, and local to me.
I just might stop by this week.
Didn't realize those 22 suppressors were so cheap.
Check them out... and maybe you can squeeze the salesguy into telling you what they're doing for Black Friday... 15% off in-store purchases would be ****. You've even got time to get a trust set up beforehand.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:46 AM   #5131
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: woosta, ma
Posts: 8,610
Total Cats: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
I agree on every point.

Now that we're only talking about an acre at a time in a "rural neighborhood", there is a legal aspect of being able to discharge a firearm within a certain distance of a dwelling... gotta know the specific laws in that particular area. Hell, even a pellet gun might be verboten.

However, looks like a .22lr with one of the less noisy ammo choices might be a good idea. CCI Quiets shot a 2" group from my Savage FVSR at 50yds... plenty accurate for anything bigger than a squirrel, so possums and coons should be no problem. However, you definitely want a quick ethical kill, because the last thing you want is the damned thing crawling into your neighbors yard and him finding it and throwing a ****-fit... either about you killing it, or WORSE, not killing it. In that case, full power HP's recommended. Take a shot from inside the house and the neighbors will likely never hear... or will hear and as long as they don't hear another one, won't give it a second thought.

And just to let you know where I really stand... let me leave this right here.
Huntertown Arms - Suppressors for everyone - warrantied beyond life

Don't forget about disposal... don't put the thing in your garbage unless you smother it in febreeze and triple-bag the shiz out of it.
Pellet gun should be fine. One of the hot 750fps 22cal jobbies it probably going to be just as effective as a 22 at the ranges we're talking about.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:00 AM   #5132
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: TAMPA, FL
Posts: 463
Total Cats: 12
Default

Dammit I'm going to be in NYC during black friday. So lame.

About shooting raccoons, anyone who says they can reliably kill them with a 22 is kidding themselves or they're way more patient than I am.
AlwaysBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #5133
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 5,838
Total Cats: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBroken View Post
Dammit I'm going to be in NYC during black friday. So lame.

About shooting raccoons, anyone who says they can reliably kill them with a 22 is kidding themselves or they're way more patient than I am.
For BF, the internet is far more friendly... no sense in getting involved in a Walmart stampede to save $20 on a shitty bottom-feeder TV that will be dead in 2 years.

I've shot 2 coons with 22's... CCI MiniMags if I remember, and while they died, it took more time than I would have liked, so they always get a few taps. A single body-shot will never kill a coon right away.. In the guts or even chest, it will crawl away (might be pretty quick) and you might never get another shot. This is why I preach that 22's are 50yd guns when it comes to hunting, so you get maximum energy imparted and can get better shot-placement. While you might be able to shoot a 2" 100yd group with your Lapua Eley match ammo at the range, it's simply not possible to do it with standard box ammo in a realistic scenario. By "realistic", I mean low light, no proper rest, moving target, etc... This is why I love the .17hmr... absurdly flat shooting and proper varmint bullets that instantly fragment for quick kills.

Like I said earlier... the last thing you want is a wounded animal to crawl back under the house or shed or into your neighbors property and then die... for some reason, the sink of a rotting coon is worse than any other dozen critters I can think of.

Efini... have you considered putting out a game-cam for a few nights to see what you're up against and then getting a proper trap. Most animal control agencies will loan you a humane trap and relocate nuisance animals free of charge.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #5134
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,857
Total Cats: -4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
Efini... have you considered putting out a game-cam for a few nights to see what you're up against and then getting a proper trap. Most animal control agencies will loan you a humane trap and relocate nuisance animals free of charge.
Earlier this year when we lost a chick (brutally murdered and torn to shreds) we did exactly that.

Trail cam showed a possum rather skillfully climbing the fence, and a day or so later we had a possum in the (humane) trap.

Said possum was relocated and we didn't have any issues for months.

When the recent spat of chicken slaughters started we put the same trap out again, and we caught another possum. Also relocated but two more birds were lost immediately after that possum was caught. This time we're losing full size birds, at least one of which was dragged back over the fence. The possums we're catching seem to small to kill and drag a full size chicken like that.

Now we're wondering if the possums are the culprits, or if they just really like the bait we put in the trap.

To me it seems it would have to be something the size of a raccoon to take one of these birds over the fence, but, there really aren't many raccoons in our area.

The rifle would be more for plinking than actually dealing with the ninja chicken their. But it would be nice to have in case a possum or raccoon needs shot.

PS - just caught a cat in the trap this morning...my wife strongly thinks said cat is not the prime suspect. Said cat was docile and domesticated...

We haven't put the trail cam up this time, so no proof of any raccoons coming near the coop.

We hung Christmas lights around the coop and started locking the chickens in at night, there have been no further chicken deaths since that time but our neighbors lost a chicken last night...

The saga continues...
Efini~FC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #5135
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: TAMPA, FL
Posts: 463
Total Cats: 12
Default

I've been living in urban/suburban areas most of my life, so this means most of the effective 22LR stuff is out of the question due to noise because it's all supersonic. I wish that people made 22LR barrels in 1:7 twist so could use aguila 60gr. But in the current environment where my best option is 40gr at 1050 fps, it's not up to the challenge for raccoon. Ditto 17HMR, which is really impressive IMO, but too damn loud.

I've got a suppressed 45 carbine in addition to my 22 pistols + can. Even with just 850 fps FMJ, 45 drops raccoons and possums in their tracks if you hit them anywhere on their body and it's only a hair louder than the 22.

No wildlife in my current neighborhood tho.
AlwaysBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #5136
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: woosta, ma
Posts: 8,610
Total Cats: 91
Default

250 rounds (10 boxes) Remington Golden Saber Handgun Ammo 9mm +p Luger 124 gr BJHP - $59.90 after $100 MIR | Slickguns

Huge ammo deals right now. 9mm for the price of 22lr after the rebate. They've also got 40, 45, 38s, and 357m.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #5137
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 431
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
250 rounds (10 boxes) Remington Golden Saber Handgun Ammo 9mm +p Luger 124 gr BJHP - $59.90 after $100 MIR | Slickguns

Huge ammo deals right now. 9mm for the price of 22lr after the rebate. They've also got 40, 45, 38s, and 357m.

Natchez won't ship to Georgia. Bummer.

-Raj
redrider706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:04 PM   #5138
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: woosta, ma
Posts: 8,610
Total Cats: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider706 View Post
Natchez won't ship to Georgia. Bummer.

-Raj
lame, pick anyone else thats cheap though. Its still $10 bucks off a box of really nice ammo (with the mail in rebate). I got mine before ammodepot sold out at $12.47 a box, which means $2.47 for a box of 25 after the rebate.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:44 AM   #5139
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,294
Total Cats: 72
Default

$4.57 plus shipping for .45. I'm tempted.
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #5140
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 5,838
Total Cats: 143
Default

I'm just not sure about how bad I need that many factory self-defense rounds. I know that tons of people say you need to put XXX many rounds of your actual carry ammo through a gun before you can "trust" it... but why the **** would you buy a gun so lame it won't shoot modern ammo?

**** that shiz... Glock, M&P, XD, Ruger, etc... modern striker-fired pistols should eat any SD ammo. People get pissed when they run a mag of Tula steel through their tiny DAO carry gun and it fails twice a mag and they blame the gun... **** those **** and the limp-wristing that causes most failures on smaller carry guns.

A few years ago, I traded a dude something for some standard Remington 115gr JHP's... fired a few and called it good in my G19. Guess what, I've never fired one since... ******* $1 rd or whatever of SD ammo just to plink with? I know it will go bang. I've got enough to fill every mag I own and that's plenty. The only time I fire any actual SD rounds is when I have to head-shoot a deer one of my buddies gut-shot with his bow and is still alive when we find it.

Plus, if I really feel the need to have a few hundred or thousand self-defense rounds on hand, I'll buy some Gold Dot or HST pulls from RMR or American Reloading for pennies and use enough Red Dot or PowerPistol for 1200fps... because we all know Zombies hate reloads.

But ****, that is CHEAP!!! Too bad the wife will still throw a fit even when I say, "But I'm getting a $100 rebate!"
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Tags
trump 2016

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:48 AM.