The Mitty is only a few weeks away, but I'd love to see more Miatas come out and party with us. There's a ton of cool automotive-themed activities to do, and you can watch the best historic racing this side of Monterey as well.
Here are some highlights for this year's Mitty:
will be our guest of honor at the event, and we’ll be recognizing the accomplishments of Peter and the rest of the Brock Racing Enterprises team in the automotive world. On Thursday night, we’ll have a special dinner to honor the entire BRE crew, including an intimate question and answer session for fans. In addition to the dinner, Peter will be on hand throughout the weekend to check out the races. Plan on stopping in the Classic Motorsports tent to attend an autograph session. We’re still working on a final list of participating team members, but we’ve invited John Morton, John McComb, Kirk Allegro, Mac Tilton, Trevor Harris, John Knepp, Joe Cavaglieri, Bruce Burness, John Caldwell, Bob Lyon and more from the original BRE team.
Of course, the BRE team couldn’t be completely represented without the incredible cars they built over the years, so expect to see many of the original race cars and a few finely finished replicas to be present as well. Highlights include 1969 Pacific Coast D Prod Champion #44 Datsun 2000 Roadster, 1969 4th place Mexican 1000 BRE Baja 510 #89, 1970-71 C Prod Champion #46 Datsun 240Z, 1971-72 Trans-Am 2.5 Champion #46 BRE Datsun 510, #85 BRE 510 guest car of Bobby Allison, 1973 Baja 500 #300 BRE Baja 240Z and more.
There will be quite a few celebrities from the automotive world on hand. We're expecting to see AC/DC lead singer Brian Johnson
racing his Royale sports racer, TV funnyman
and super enthusiast Adam Carolla
, and Miata designer Norm Garret
to attend and share the party with us. You should come too!
will be the featured marque for this year’s event, and will celebrate the honor by showcasing their new Evora coupe along with scores of historic Lotus racing cars.
is the featured race group for the 2010 Mitty. Don’t miss seeing these amazing race cars in a 20-lap battle on Sunday!
Concours d’LeMons- We love classics in all shapes and sizes, so we wanted to find a way for some of the orphaned and unknown to enjoy the spotlight. To that end, we’ve worked with the same minds that created the 24 Hours of LeMons to create the Concours d’LeMons. This event promises to be a light-hearted highlight of the weekend for lovers of underappreciated classics.
Mazda Drivers Party
- After the racing action on Friday, Mazda will be hosting a special party open to anyone with a Mazda key in their pocket. Come to meet and talk with the Mazda Pro racers, factory representatives, and executives that help make this company the number one choice of amateur racers.
Classic Motorsports Cup race
- The Classic Motorsports Mitty will host the second round of a new series for 2010—the Classic Motorsports Cup. The series is open to small-bore cars produced before 1965 and their continuation counterparts. this race promises to be a hotly contested battle among the cars that make up the core of our reader’s interests.
- Thanks to our friends at Kumho Tires USA, the 2010 Mitty will again offer spectators the chance to drive a Kumho-equipped Mazda MX-5
around our infield autocross course. This driving experience is completely free of charge, so make sure you sign up for some top-down driving fun!
- The Moss pub will be open for business during the evening hours on Friday and Saturday night. Come by for a cold drink and the best bench racing you’ll find this side of Siebkins. Challenge a friend to a game of darts anytime, but don’t miss the live music performed by Wes Cobb on Friday and Saturday night.
Historic Stock cars
- No cookie-cutter “Cars of Tomorrow” here—HSR’s Historic Stock Car class features a full field of competitive racers piloting the cars from NASCAR’s past. Be sure to walk through the paddock to see these famous former race winners.
- Need headlight trim for your Spitfire? How about a new bumper for your Jag? Expanded for 2010, The Classic Motorsports Mitty now offers spectators an opportunity to find those elusive parts for their own project at our Swap Meet.
Vintage motorcycle racing
- More than just four-wheel fun, the Classic Motorsports Mitty will also feature vintage motorcycle racing around Road Atlanta’s 12-turn circuit. See and hear classic marques like Vincent, Triumph, Matchless and Norton in a nostalgic battle for bragging rights.
Dozens of car clubs will be attending this year’s Mitty event, with more clubs signing up every day. It’s not to late to make plans with your club, so get together and make plans for the Mitty with your buddies! It’s not too late for your club to be a part of this gathering—contact our club coordinator, Andy Reid
, to register your club and receive assigned parking areas and vouchers for free touring laps for club members!