Hi guys, I've been lurking on MT.net for quite a while and decided it's finally time to start a real build.
I'm based out of SLC in Utah and have been dailying a '98 Subaru OBS wagon until I picked up my 93' 1.6 about a year a ago. Shortly after purchase I attended a few autocross events, and got addicted to RWD, before tearing the suspension down over the winter.
As I bought it:
The terrible hubcaps were removed moments later:
Current Parts list:
- Full poly suspension and diff bushings
- RB race FSB + 949 endlinks
- No RSB
- ISC 1"/1.5" top hats + trimmed (30mm integra bumpstops)
- 10AE Hard S Bilsteins
- Allstar Racing coil over sleeves + 600f 400r Hypercoils.
- Mazdaspeed motor mounts
- Garagestar steering rack spacer (to correct bump steer)
- Jongbloed spec Miata wheels 15x7 et+15
- 205/50/r15 BFG Rival-S
- Raceland 4-2-1 header
- RB style intake (AFM adapter -> 3" silicon 180 -> AEM cone filter)
- Sonic motors VS3 bucket
- Corbeau 5pt
Flamesuit is prepared for running RL header and replica seat.
I love pictures:
I'm the one that doesn't fit in the car. Let a friend co-drive that day.
I ran this last season in STS and I realized that I'm more interested in becoming a better driver and making the car as enjoyable as possible, rather than building a nationally competitive car. I enjoy the hell out of racing, but I hate playing by their build rules.
I was initially looking at a turbo build, but I've been concerned that it will mess with the car's autoxability (at my driving level). After reading a DIY ITB thread on MX5nutz I now have a set of TT 600 throttle bodies and an old 1.6 intake manifold coming in the mail. I'm usually super methodical and those were total impulse buys, so now I'm backpedaling and making a game plan.
Anyways, here's the plan:
- Test compression (196K block)
- MS3 basic from Rev
- Test pipe to not **** cat while learning to tune
- Install and tune on stock engine + MAF delete
- Fab/install ITBs
- Aggressive head shave to 10.5:1 CR (I'm still researching this)
- Somewhat aggressive cams + adjustable gears (I know nothing here, but I was thinking of getting a regrind to HKS 256 specs)
- Injectors with a better spray pattern
- COPs mostly because they look cool and I'm petty
- Really light flywheel (7-8 lbs)
- 15x10 wheels and 275 race tires (will be running the car uncompetitively in DP)
- Possibly get bored and end up boosting the ITBS because I'll have most of the supporting mods in place
The main goal of this is to have a car that is quick without hurting driveability and being stupidly expensive like most other NA builds. I'm only looking at ITBs right now because the car feels so damn good I don't want to mess with the feel too much. I have moderate fab skills, can weld and I'm trying to teach myself how to vacuum bag composite parts. I'm also looking at going to school for engineering (I like designing my own stuff)
Also, I know the 1.8 is a better platform. I'm an idiot and I like my 1.6 and want to stick with it and it's already in the car.
~150WHP N/A (probably a bit unrealistic with my mod list, but I can dream)
~250 WHP turbo if I go that route