so i send diypnp a message about what all i would need to put together a ms unit for a 2000 miata boosted running:
-rx7 460cc injectors
-looking to run 12-14 psi boost stock internals
my question is can someone answer these questions to me?
I'll be glad to help you spec a system for your car, but I'll first need some information from you as I unfortunately don't have hands on experience with every car out there. Below is a list of the questions I will generally need answers to in order to assist with this. You can find this information in service manuals for your car/engine, on message boards and enthusiast sites, or sometimes by tearing into your ride and looking. Also, you can take a look at our "Where do I start?" section at http://www.diyautotune.com/faq/faq.htm#wherestart
so that you have a pretty thorough understanding of the MegaSquirt line of Engine Management Systems and you may find that you've answered your own questions by the time you've done this. At any rate these are some of the questions you will need to ask yourself, and that I would need to know the answers to in order to be able to assist you:
(Please try and answer all questions as the two most people skip (4&5) are the most important for ignition control!)
1. What year/make/model/engine/tranny? (Pretend you're at the parts store, ordering a starter.) If this isn't the original engine/electronics let me know that too.
2. Are you looking to control fuel only, ignition only, or fuel and ignition? Is there anything beyond these features that you are looking to control - fans or boost, for example?
3. What are the engine details (type, number of cylinders, previously fuel injected or carb'd?)
4. What type of ignition system does your car run- where is the crank angle sensor (CAS) or distributor trigger wheel and what type is it (Optical/LED Sensor? Hall Sensor? VR Sensor?)
5. How many teeth/windows/slots and what orientation does the CAS, crank trigger, and/or distributor wheel have? (any missing? all evenly spaced?)
6. Is there a distributor? Single/Multiple Coils? Coil on Plug?
7. Does this engine have a fast idle valve (IAC)? If so, how many wires are connected to it? Do you know if it is an on/off, pulse width modulated, thermal, or stepper type?
8. Are you open to retrofitting a different ignition system such as the Ford EDIS distributorless system or one of our crank trigger kits if it is determined that the MegaSquirt will not properly (or easily) control your factory ignition system? Many factory systems MegaSquirt can simply take control of, some it cannot. EDIS to the rescue! It's cheap, simple and works great!