02-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Total Cats: 25
Another megasquirted NB
Add another '99 to the list of megasquirted NB Miatas. Mine is installed, and after a few initial tweaks the engine starts, and idles nicely.
Kudos to cjernigan (Chad) for building the unit to my specifications and answering my questions to help me get it going. I am setting up for a BeGI-S install, with some extras added. This turbo build will be a combo of buying some pre-made stuff (like Chad's MS and the BEGI kit), and adding/fabbing some stuff of my own. Of course I'll be doing all of the install work myself.
Some quick config notes:
1. MSI unit built by Chad, set up for MAP, TPS, IAC, WB02, CLT, EBC, and knock sense. Also set up for hi-res.
2. Running in parallel with the stock ECU via a boomslang harness. The boomslangs are the way to go.
2. 94-97 used CAS installed for timing for the MS.
3. Old Dell WinXP laptop, with an actual DB-9 serial port, talking to the MS via Megatune. Works great so far.
4. To be added, BEGI-S, GT2560 upgrade, SS lines. Also an LC-1, and dash gauges for boost, water temp, and AFR.
Now that I know the MSI works (albeit it needs some tuning of course) I am going to dive into the turbo installation next. I'll probably disconnect the wastegate for initial tuning after installation, then reconnect it and tune at lower levels, around 6psi to start. Give me 2-3 weeks of evening and weekends and I should have it going. I'll drive it like that for a bit, then go get a full 3" exhaust welded in.
Thanks to all the contributors of this board for all of the past posts that have answered many of my questions, and posed some new thought provoking ones as well. Though I am used to developing new technology at work (R&D Engineering for NASA) it always nice to dive into something like this with the help of those that have gone before you, mostly to save on valuable time and costly mistakes.
Last edited by ZX-Tex; 02-27-2008 at 12:18 PM.