Some of you might remember this thread: MS1 v3.0 questions
Well, that was a year and two months ago! Extremely busy life, lack of funds, coupled with some general laziness kept me from ever hooking up the MS1. I might also add that I was a bit scared that the MS unit might go up in smoke due to my rewiring it. So, there it sat in my garage...until last week.
It seems things are moving forward now. I have a new FM manifold on the work bench, an Artech downpipe that Abe will be fabbing for me, and I was able to finally break loose my compressor wheel and turbine to clock my turbo properly (PB Blaster is my best friend right now). But back to the Megasquirt...
Finally decided it was time to get this thing going. First step was to read, then read some more, and then some more...I still can't believe how much material a noob has to wade through just to find basic answers...but I found them, along with some trial and error. I initially got the MS to communicate with my Windows 7 laptop but couldn't for the life of me get it to update the firmware because of a comm error. So I got fed up and broke out my old Windows XP laptop, installed the usb to serial adapter driver, and successfully burned the new firmware to the Megasquirt. I jumped back onto my other laptop and successfully installed the base tune. This was quite a relief to see happen.
So now all I have to do is figure out my other settings like vtps and such and then set my base timing and hope it starts. But I'm just tickled to have even got to this point.
I decided to mount it in my glove because I just loathe the idea of pulling the carpet up every time I want to connect to the MS or leaving a cord attached to it that someone might knock loose with their shoe. Here's a lousy cell phone pic: