so I swapped a VVT engine into my 1991 NA and installed a MS3-Pro Module at the same time. Problem is the engine won't start. I've been, for the past weeks, despirately trying to get it running, but whateer I tried was futile. At one point I had it running and showing data in the composite logger, but now it once again it's not even showing any data. Any help, especially reviewing my tunerstudio settings, is appreciated. I'm really losing my mind over that project...
The mechanical side
- MS3-Pro Module, installed onto Frank's (WeistfieldMX5's) custom PCB, mounted inside the stock ECU casing
- stock 2003 VVT engine with homemade crossover tube and cone filter
- new timing belt, water pump, seals
- stock ignition module
- brand new cam sensor; crank position sensor checked for correct gap (1 mm)
- Spartan2 lambda control
The electrical side
- wiring was done according to the definitive VVT swap instructions (thanks BTW!)
- converted to sequential injection by running 2 extra wires from injectors C & D to the corresponding pins at the ECU. All wires have been checked for continuity from the injector plug right up to the corresponding pins on the MS3-Pro module board. Can hear the injectors click upon using injector test mode in Tunerstudio.
- VVT control via additional wires running to free pins at the ECU, using MS3-Pro's PWM 2 pin
- all three wires of the cam and crank angle sensors have continuity right up to the CMP+ and CPS+ pins at the MS3-Pro module. Both sensors have 12V with ignition on
the evolution of non-starting issues
1. installed everything, loaded a 01-05 MSPNP Pro basemap
, calibrated TPS, MAP sensor and lambda controller and tried to start. Nothing. Cranks but wouldn't start and wouldn't show anything in the composite logger. No spark too.
2. my suspicion was a fault with the CAS/CPS signal, so I went over the wiring and found a wire had slipped out of its pin. recrimped and soldered it.
3. tried to start again. Hooray, engine started and showed sync in the composite logger. However, it was running VERY rough. As if it was running on two cylinders. Also, AFR was very lean (19!).
4. re-checked the wiring and found injector B wire triggered injector C, C triggered D and D triggered B. D'Oh!
5. corrected that, checked the injector wires for continuity to the corresponding pins at the MS3-Pro. Everything alright now.
6. Tried to start again - nothing. Nothing. Not even CAS and CPS signal in the composite log. It would crank, but not start. Re-checked CAS and CPS for continuity to the MS3-Pro and had no issues whatsoever.
So this is where I'm at. Right now, this is really frustrating (matter of fact it has been for weeks...). I really have no clue why I don't even have a crank signal. I haven't touched the CAS/CPS wiring since the last time when I had a signal but the engine was running rough (presumeably due to the incorrect injector wiring making the injectors trigger in the wrong moment).
So I'm asking you guys: Could somebody of the many knowledgeable folks here please have a look at my ECU settings?
I also include a composite log back when the engine was running (roughly). However, right now I can't even record data because I don't get any RPM sync signal.
If I can get confirmation that at least the software side is correct (esp. ignition options, input/output pins,...) I can at least tick one potential off the list.