Some of you probably remember my intro post/turbo install, and while I posted a couple updates last summer, I've been busier than a one-legged man in an a$$ kicking contest at work and haven't been able to for some time.
Due to the aforementioned work schedule and the advent of winter here in Tennessee, I cleaned the Miata up, took a few pictures (click here to check them out on Flickr) and put my clutch-slipping toy away for the winter.
It wasn't until recently that I finally found a couple hours to start ripping out the transmission. I plan to keep this thread updated with pictures and details so stay tuned!
Thanks for the comments fellas! I'll admit, I'm a little crazy about the clean garage thing. I've found that I make mistakes and have to retrace my steps when my garage is cluttered and tools are disorganized.
In fact, I've been made fun of for this sort of thing by more than a couple buddies of mine:
As for the garage itself, I was lucky to find a house that had a nice big 2 car garage up top (hers) and a full basement/garage. The area where the Miata is my "long term project" area where I can park a car out of the way for a few months. I have another couple stalls for my daily drivers and a little workshop room that houses all of my tools and stuff. Hey, when you're gonna buy a house, get the stuff that you want! I also plan to U-Coat the floors this spring if time allows.
For the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate, I'm going with all ACT stuff. I've had excellent results with them in all of my DSMs, so I hope the same applies in the Miata world. The parts should be here soon, so I'll update this thread when I get my hands on them.
Well, the UPS man showed up at my door earlier this week with some goodies! Now I can finally get to work on this little beast.
Here's all of the stuff that comes in the ACT clutch kit and the prolite flywheel.
A look at the stock flywheel vs. the ACT prolite. It is much lighter! I weighed the total weight of both clutch and flywheel assemblies, and the stock 1.6 was 27lbs, while the ACT was 21lbs. Not bad, especially since this is the larger 1.8L stuff.
Here's a look at the stock 1.6L pressure plate vs. the ACT.
Stock clutch disc vs. ACT
Shot of the stock 1.6 clutch disc sitting on the ACT prolite flywheel.
Before I start, I've been using anti-seize and threadlock since I can remember. Both are messy and difficult to apply, especially if you're lying on your back.
That said, I've gotta give a shout out to Loctite for making these stick applicators for their anti-seize and threadlocker products. I am amazed how much simpler this made the job vs. the old and messy ways. If you don't have these in your garage, go get em!
Here's the shiny new ACT flywheel installed:
Here's a shot of the ACT clutch and flywheel assembly bolted up and awaiting the transmission! I finished up the job on Saturday morning and all told, it wasn't bad at at all. Removing the exhaust and loosening (not removing) the downpipe made re-install go quickly and without drama. It's snowing here at the moment, so I don't have much info to share about how it drives, but I will say that it revs up/down much faster. It's supposed to be nice weather the rest of the week, so I'll follow up with a full review.
The last piece of the traction puzzle are these little suckers. I picked them up from a local guy who used them on his Honda Civic. I've had excellent success and reliability with these particular slicks (22x8x15") on my old 1989 Mitsubishi Mirage, so we'll see how they work on the Miata. I ran mid 11s in the low 120s in the 1/4 mile with them on a crappy FWD platform, so I believe they'll be sufficient for the modest power I'm making here.
Thanks for checking it out everyone! To answer a few of the questions, I am running 12psi these days. After I get this broke in (300 miles or so) I plan to schedule some dyno time and see how much power I'm making.
I am running the stock diff, so we'll see how that goes. I know it's very weak, but I plan to baby it off the line like I do my Talon in the video below. That car still has the puny 3 bolt diff, which should've blown up years ago given that it's making somewhere around 500hp. Doing so hurts my E.T. by a couple tenths, but that's not a bad trade-off for more reliability. I'll be taking my Miata to the track as soon as they open, so keep your fingers crossed!