Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats. (https://www.miataturbo.net/)
-   Adaptronic (https://www.miataturbo.net/adaptronic-63/)
-   -   Why is Adaptronic better than Megasquirt? (https://www.miataturbo.net/adaptronic-63/why-adaptronic-better-than-megasquirt-36332/)

r808 06-21-2009 04:17 AM

Why is Adaptronic better than Megasquirt?
 
All right, I didn't see anything like this mentioned in the 4 or so pages in this subforum.

What are the benefits of Adaptronic over Megasquirt?

Adaptronic is more expensive.

18psi 06-21-2009 07:14 AM

It has been discussed quite a few times, but not in this sub-section I think.

Basically IMO: ms is not pnp for 99+ nb's. Adaptronic is. That is one of the biggest things. Adaptronic has launch control and boost by gear, can operate the vics, fuel/spark autotune, datalogging, etc etc etc. Just get the tiny "wari" file and go through the whole setup and check it out. Its really good.
The pnp install on 99+ cars is probably the reason most of us got it though. If you have an earlier year miata just go with the cheaper ms. just my .02

Rafa 06-21-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 18psi (Post 421821)
It has been discussed quite a few times, but not in this sub-section I think.

Basically IMO: ms is not pnp for 99+ nb's. Adaptronic is. That is one of the biggest things. Adaptronic has launch control and boost by gear, can operate the vics, fuel/spark autotune, datalogging, etc etc etc. Just get the tiny "wari" file and go through the whole setup and check it out. Its really good.
The pnp install on 99+ cars is probably the reason most of us got it though. If you have an earlier year miata just go with the cheaper ms. just my .02

Don't forget the autotuning feature Vlad. To me, that's really a deal breaker between both.

r808 06-21-2009 01:45 PM

So fuel/spark autotune is a major advantage of Adaptronics for NBs.

Megasquirt can only do fuel autotune then?

Rafa 06-21-2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r808 (Post 421879)
So fuel/spark autotune is a major advantage of Adaptronics for NBs.

Megasquirt can only do fuel autotune then?

I don't know much about the MS but as far as I can tell; it can't autotune fuel either.

TurboRoach 06-21-2009 05:19 PM

Don't forget the Adaptronic does sequential fuel and ignition if you want it to.

This is the thread where most of us decided that the Adaptronic is what we wanted. Its not a direct comparison but most of the details of what the Adaptronic can do are mentioned.

Saml01 06-21-2009 05:21 PM

Its not better for the average person. Just more expensive.

r808 06-21-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saml01 (Post 421936)
Its not better for the average person. Just more expensive.

So the average person doesn't need autotune then?

N/M
Going to read the thread TurboRoach posted.

Saml01 06-21-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r808 (Post 421941)
So the average person doesn't need autotune then?

N/M
Going to read the thread TurboRoach posted.

No. Get yourself megalog viewer, get two logs, and youre done.

If you dont have a knock sensor, then autotune on spark wont help you. Therefore it doesnt matter which ecu you use.

r808 06-21-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saml01 (Post 421943)

If you dont have a knock sensor. . .

What about factory NB knock sensor? Does this count?
From my limited L98 tuning experience, knock sensors were worthless compared to valvetrain clatter. Maybe technology has advanced since then.

TurboRoach 06-21-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r808 (Post 421963)
What about factory NB knock sensor? Does this count?
From my limited L98 tuning experience, knock sensors were worthless compared to valvetrain clatter. Maybe technology has advanced since then.

Thats what I'm using in my 92. The adaptronic does some filtering to pick out the frequencies where knock occurs.

Saml01 06-21-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r808 (Post 421963)
What about factory NB knock sensor? Does this count?
From my limited L98 tuning experience, knock sensors were worthless compared to valvetrain clatter. Maybe technology has advanced since then.

I personally cannot comment on the knock sensors in the NB. However I will say that no one here should be tuning to the limit using a factory knock sensor. So how much it will actually help you is pretty subjective.

TravisR 06-22-2009 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saml01 (Post 421943)
No. Get yourself megalog viewer, get two logs, and youre done.

If you dont have a knock sensor, then autotune on spark wont help you. Therefore it doesnt matter which ecu you use.

There is no comparison in between the amount of time you would spend tuning an adaptronic vs a MS by hand. I don't even have to look at a map or have a laptop plugged in with the adaptronic. Not to mention with tuning by hand you have to track down the correct cell to get it right. Then ontop of that interpolation can give you a serious challenge. Do you bring the row below it up, or the row above it up? Tuning with a log is a pain in the neck.

In the beginning there were some kinks with installs, some people mis-read instructions, and other times the instructions just wern't that great. Now though there isn't any reason that you shouldn't be able to literally pop this ECU in and go driving. We have some great tuning maps, and there are alot of hardworking community members here that have shored up all the rough edges.

The Adaptronic is the easiest to install engine management solution. Especially if you are using either stock injectors or the 600cc Deatschwerks injectors as those maps have been tuned in by experienced users. That means all your going to have to do is change very minor things in the maps to make it work perfectly for your vehicle.

Saml01 06-22-2009 01:14 AM

^ id love to continue this wonderful argument but I know u already have ur hands lubed up and are about to vigorously jerk off your product, so I will just bow out of this one.

TurboRoach 06-22-2009 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saml01 (Post 422084)
^ id love to continue this wonderful argument but I know u already have ur hands lubed up and are about to vigorously jerk off your product, so I will just bow out of this one.

:giggle:

Travis gets excited about the stuff he sells. If he didn't why bother selling them?

Anyway back to the OP.

The adaptronic is more expensive but for a 2000 like yours I think its the only pnp ecu. If you were planning on making your own harness you can save some $$ and get just the ecu that puts it a little closer to the price of a built MS (Thats what myself, y8s, & a couple of others did.). If not though you either have to get a boomslang harness or have someone make you one for the MS. The adaptronic (pnp) for the 99/00 only requires extending a couple of wires for the map sensor. Also if you need to pass emissions, it looks like most of the bugs for passing the OBDII codes have been worked out.

I bought the adaptronic because:
1) I got in on the group buy and got a killer deal :D
2) Sequential Fuel (makes it easier to pass emissions)
3) My A/C works
4) Traction control
5) VVT control (I was considering swapping in an 01+ motor)

18psi 06-22-2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saml01 (Post 422084)
^ id love to continue this wonderful argument but I know u already have ur hands lubed up and are about to vigorously jerk off your product, so I will just bow out of this one.

Lets be fair here: there is no pnp ms. PERIOD! for the na guys ms might be a cheaper solution. For us nb guys its not. And dont try to tell me how easy it is to get ms to work in parallel with an nb: I've seen too many people fail and am way too electronically stupid to try it.

So if MS is not available to us and can not be used in this comparison, we have NOTHING cheaper than the adaptronic available to us. Period

TravisR 06-22-2009 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saml01 (Post 422084)
^ id love to continue this wonderful argument but I know u already have ur hands lubed up and are about to vigorously jerk off your product, so I will just bow out of this one.

Must have Adaptronic Jealousy. :giggle:

I uploaded a comparison project we worked on where users of MS and Hydra kicked in a feature comparison against the Adaptronic.

TurboRoach 06-22-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravisR (Post 422142)
Must have Adaptronic Jealousy. :giggle:

I uploaded a comparison project we worked on where users of MS and Hydra kicked in a feature comparison against the Adaptronic.

You might want to update the pricing on that spreadsheet. :D

TravisR 06-22-2009 11:34 AM

Done!

I added a section for the early models too.

Braineack 06-22-2009 11:37 AM

I'd personally rather have the adaptronic.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 AM.