100% of the power. 0% of the sound. Winning - Page 5 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #81
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,578
Default

I'm actually thinking of trying this on the forester sometime soon. Its got 2.5L of fury + AVCS and spools the 20g LIKE A BOSS, goes past 5psi without so much as waiting a second.

And you guys are funny as hell: I'm just exploring theories and trying to think outside the box for once. Obviously if its failaids I wont run it or will remove it after its been proven to suck.
I guess I'm an old fart, despite being in my late 20's, but I'm over the whole loud *** car shooting flames and being obnoxious thing. The faster I can get a car to be while staying as stock looking and stock sounding as possible, the happier I will be
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #82
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

yes. because this dump idea is stupid.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #83
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: sacramento ,ca
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 46
Default

im in my late 20's and i still like shooting flames and being obnoxious... just sayin
fastivab6tg25mr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #84
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,454
Total Cats: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
A stock exhaust will make a 2554 setup look like a M45 SC running 2psi.
I installed my 2554 before the exhaust upgrade on my stock 2000 and it wasn't that bad. It had 8 psi peak of backpressure with 6 psi of boost. It still hit full boost at like 2800 RPM.

Last edited by JasonC SBB; 02-16-2012 at 01:56 PM.
JasonC SBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #85
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,578
Default

Its awesome for when we go out and raise hell on the weekends, but not while driving to work every day lol
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #86
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC SBB View Post
I installed my 2554 before the exhaust upgrade on my stock 2000 and it wasn't that bad. It had 8 psi of backpressure with 6 psi of boost. It still hit full boost at like 2800 RPM.

I wish I still had NeoGenesis2004's dyno when he was running like 7psi on the stock exhaust.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #87
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,578
Default

I ran stock exhaust when I just installed my 3076r and hit 7psi by like 4k or something like that. Even posted a mlv screenshot, I'll have to dig it up when I get home
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #88
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default

I have one of those apexi valves in my exhaust, simialr concept except you control the flow and don't have dump pipe. Works well and makes it really quite but I can see how this would work better as it dumps to atmosphere and doesn't create a huge blockage in the stock system.
jabran200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #89
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I'm actually thinking of trying this on the forester sometime soon. Its got 2.5L of fury + AVCS and spools the 20g LIKE A BOSS, goes past 5psi without so much as waiting a second.

And you guys are funny as hell: I'm just exploring theories and trying to think outside the box for once. Obviously if its failaids I wont run it or will remove it after its been proven to suck.
I guess I'm an old fart, despite being in my late 20's, but I'm over the whole loud *** car shooting flames and being obnoxious thing. The faster I can get a car to be while staying as stock looking and stock sounding as possible, the happier I will be
I'm in my early 30s and I have the loudest car on the planet.

18psi why don't you just sound deaden the ever living *** out of the car? I am talking about cabin dual layer dynamat, underbody padding, engine compartment padding, put a plastic cover over your stupid motor like a stupid luxury car etc.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #90
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Also put the muffler and exhaust inside another exhaust and muffler. And sprayfoam in between them. So much win.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #91
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: sacramento ,ca
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 46
Default

biggest throttle body i have is only a 2.25" B6T(inside dia.) it was already broken so i drilled, tapped, plugged all the vacuum line holes as well as the idle bypass port. i also have a steel adapter made for this TB. should be able to weld it up to a 2.5" Y without issue. i do see a tiny bit of light coming from around the throttle plate so im guessing its gonna tick pretty good til it gets some carbon build up to seal it. im gonna see if i can get a door popper off my friend to actuate it with a wot switch.
fastivab6tg25mr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #92
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,454
Total Cats: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
I'm in my early 30s and I have the loudest car on the planet.

18psi why don't you just sound deaden the ever living *** out of the car? I am talking about cabin dual layer dynamat,
Helps with mid and high frequency road and tires noise, but not with exhaust fundamental notes.
JasonC SBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #93
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastivab6tg25mr View Post
biggest throttle body i have is only a 2.25" B6T(inside dia.) it was already broken so i drilled, tapped, plugged all the vacuum line holes as well as the idle bypass port. i also have a steel adapter made for this TB. should be able to weld it up to a 2.5" Y without issue. i do see a tiny bit of light coming from around the throttle plate so im guessing its gonna tick pretty good til it gets some carbon build up to seal it. im gonna see if i can get a door popper off my friend to actuate it with a wot switch.
oh snap this should be interesting.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #94
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: sacramento ,ca
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
oh snap this should be interesting.
it should be... its goin on your forester...
fastivab6tg25mr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #95
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,578
Default

18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #96
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: sacramento ,ca
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 46
Default

you do have 2.5" on there right?
fastivab6tg25mr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #97
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Mobius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,178
Total Cats: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
:(
If I didn't live in CA I'd be driving one now.
The more I try to consider "v8 miata street car" and "smog/dmv/stupid cali laws and regulations" the more it becomes "race car only no exceptions". The thought of a corvette has been floating around in my mind, a c6 with exhaust would do me perfectly, but whats the point in having a stock car with just xhaust? boring. There's also the Datsun 240z option, but finding a clean non-rotted shell for less than like 3k is nearly impossible. ugh

I'm still trying to find loopholes in the system and somehow weazeling my way around the bs, but its not looking good.
Dude. You failz at search. You just have to use a version of GM's E-Rod LS crate engines, along with the provided bits (maf, evap canister, etc). They are 50-state legal. Here's one from Pace.

If you want to use an engine from a donor car, you need to bring along *all* the emissions related bits that were on the original car.

Do it! Become the v8Flora of MT.net!
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #98
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastivab6tg25mr View Post
you do have 2.5" on there right?
no. 3" all the way :/
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:59 AM   #99
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
Dude. You failz at search. You just have to use a version of GM's E-Rod LS crate engines, along with the provided bits (maf, evap canister, etc). They are 50-state legal. Here's one from Pace.

If you want to use an engine from a donor car, you need to bring along *all* the emissions related bits that were on the original car.

Do it! Become the v8Flora of MT.net!
lmao v8flora.
I'm cool. I do things right the 1st (or at the worst 2nd) time around
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:03 AM   #100
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 1,668
Total Cats: 63
Default

In for the electrically actuated valve. My problem is I want a quiet commute and a fire shooting idiot on my weekends. I want a reasonable exhaust for daily and to just drive around with a bypass open on the weekends. Or open for idiocy and closed for going through my complex. Open for driving alone closed when driving with the wife.
TorqueZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
"Chimney Ethanol" E100 MiataGarage Engine Performance 5 09-30-2015 12:04 AM
Are my coils failing? viriiguy General Miata Chat 5 09-28-2015 08:39 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:25 AM.