99 mazda miata, Hard to start, shaken engine after head gasket replacement ~! - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #21
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,524
Total Cats: 27
Default

I would take both of them to a machine shop and see what they say. It's good that you have another set of shims, springs and valves to work with. I don't think it would cost more than $50 bucks to get both heads checked out, our local shop only charges me $20 for a head inspection.

The problem with having zero clearence between the cam and the tappet is that it's not allowing the valves to fully close and besides causing poor running condition, it's also not allowing the valves to cool properly by not allowing them to rest fully on the seats. Who knows what happened to this head before you got it, you know?
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #22
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Total Cats: -72
Default

so i should take both head to a machine shop and ask for valve clearance?
Thanks for advices


Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
I would take both of them to a machine shop and see what they say. It's good that you have another set of shims, springs and valves to work with. I don't think it would cost more than $50 bucks to get both heads checked out, our local shop only charges me $20 for a head inspection.

The problem with having zero clearence between the cam and the tappet is that it's not allowing the valves to fully close and besides causing poor running condition, it's also not allowing the valves to cool properly by not allowing them to rest fully on the seats. Who knows what happened to this head before you got it, you know?
thomas18a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #23
Junior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 421
Total Cats: 8
Default

you cant set the valve clearance properly with the head unbolted from the car. with that said. check the clearances and set them accordingly. if it still runs like crap after that do a compression test. if its low pull the head and pour water/brake kleen into the runners when the valves are closed. this will show you if you have a bent valve or not.
Twibs415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #24
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Total Cats: -72
Default

http://youtu.be/rmEtGkpg2SQ
this is how i checked the gap, but no luck, it cant fit the thinnest feeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twibs415 View Post
you cant set the valve clearance properly with the head unbolted from the car. with that said. check the clearances and set them accordingly. if it still runs like crap after that do a compression test. if its low pull the head and pour water/brake kleen into the runners when the valves are closed. this will show you if you have a bent valve or not.
thomas18a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:13 AM   #25
Junior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 421
Total Cats: 8
Default

ok so its to tight. correct this first and see how goes it.
Twibs415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #26
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
BogusSVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pensacola Fla.
Posts: 590
Total Cats: 191
Default

I watched the vid... You used a .010.. thats a bit thick to start.. get a feeler gauge set that has .003, .005, .007

Also if the machinist or the engine builder was sharp, he may have set the lash up a bit tight so the cam wouls appere a tad larger.

So if you find .006 lash on the intake and as tight as .007/.008 on the exhaust it will be ok.

I say this since your .010 would not fit down either bank of pucks


And try again

Twibs.... what can you not set the lash with the head off the engine?
I must have been doing it wrong all these years.....
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Total Cats: -72
Default

i bought the feeler guages from auto zone
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...fier=1931_0_0_
the thinnest one is 0.010 254mm.
i am going to get something thinner tomorrow.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post
I watched the vid... You used a .010.. thats a bit thick to start.. get a feeler gauge set that has .003, .005, .007

Also if the machinist or the engine builder was sharp, he may have set the lash up a bit tight so the cam wouls appere a tad larger.

So if you find .006 lash on the intake and as tight as .007/.008 on the exhaust it will be ok.

I say this since your .010 would not fit down either bank of pucks


And try again

Twibs.... what can you not set the lash with the head off the engine?
I must have been doing it wrong all these years.....
thomas18a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
Junior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 421
Total Cats: 8
Default

svo,



when you torque heads down there is some distortion and can change clearances. neither is wrong or right
Twibs415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #29
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
BogusSVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pensacola Fla.
Posts: 590
Total Cats: 191
Default

If when you torque the head, and it distorts enough to distort the cam towers to affect lash settings.... The head is junk beacuse at that point the cam journal oil clearance is gone, and the casting will grab the cam.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #30
Junior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 421
Total Cats: 8
Default

im sure it changes but to what degree. a few hundred thou? i dunno. but for all we know op didnt clean the block or head good when putting a new hg on. did he put a new hg on? and do the feeler gauges fit any of the lobes? it would be strange if all the valves were tighter than .254mm/.010in as the exhaust side should have more clearance than that.
Twibs415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #31
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
BogusSVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pensacola Fla.
Posts: 590
Total Cats: 191
Default

I have personally set exhaust lash tighter that .010, it can add a few degrees of duration and a tad more lift.

Since the op seems to have bought a built head, it would not be uncommon to find tighter than stock lash settings.

Now if he is .003 intake and .005 exhaust.. to me, thats a bit too tight.....
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #32
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Total Cats: -72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post
I have personally set exhaust lash tighter that .010, it can add a few degrees of duration and a tad more lift.

Since the op seems to have bought a built head, it would not be uncommon to find tighter than stock lash settings.

Now if he is .003 intake and .005 exhaust.. to me, thats a bit too tight.....
sorry for the late update
finally i bought the right feeler gauges.
Below is the numbers that i got. Do they look right?
Intake: 0.06 / 0.07 / 0.07 / 0.09 / 0.07 / 0.08 / 0.08 / 0.08
Exhaust: 0.08 / 0.09 / 0.08 / 0.07 / 0.06 / 0.09 / 0.10 / 0.07
It looks like exhaust side is a bit too tight, right?
thomas18a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #33
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
BogusSVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pensacola Fla.
Posts: 590
Total Cats: 191
Default

Looks a bit tight, but should run, and not shake the fillings out of your teeth.

Now do a compression test, and a cylinder leak down test.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
91 1.6l turbo complete part out. Tony the Tiger Miata parts for sale/trade 63 12-29-2016 03:23 AM
[CT] 1999 Mazda Miata 10th Anniversary Edition - $5800 Jike Spingleton Cars for sale/trade 3 09-20-2016 05:33 PM
No spark while cranking? navalhawkeye MEGAsquirt 9 10-07-2015 08:10 PM
Mystery Engine Trouble. Halp, mt.net! vehicular General Miata Chat 12 09-14-2015 04:17 PM
Project DDoS: '99 "Budget" boost build ProjectDDoS Build Threads 1 09-09-2015 02:52 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 AM.