DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Do JB turbos spin at idle?

Old 04-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 3
Default Do JB turbos spin at idle?

I finally got all my **** in my car and fired it up.

I had my friend stand and look at the turbo as I started the car up and it spun for a split second then stopped. I let the car continue to run and at idle it would not spin. As soon as I gave it a little bit of gas it spins, back to idle it stops.

I checked that it is getting oil by removing the oil drain and putting the line in a bucket, at idle its a nice stead flow.

Normal?
Old 04-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 1

My TD04H-15G spun fast enough at idle I wouldn't have stuck my finger into it.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:16 PM

Total Cats: 0

My T3/T4 didn't spin at idle when it was new, now that it has some miles it does.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ApexOnYou
My T3/T4 didn't spin at idle when it was new, now that it has some miles it does.
This is a rebuilt T25, it was never used since the rebuild. So I hope ur right, but heres a vid.

Please don't laugh at the comments we were both a bit
Old 04-27-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm Miserable!

Total Cats: -1

Originally Posted by Saml01
This is a rebuilt T25, it was never used since the rebuild.
thats it then. its just tight still. my t3/t4 didnt spin at idle on the first start either
Old 04-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 372

My t3/t4 always spun at idle - even when there was so much play in it the compressor blade would hit the housing. Don't have it installed, but my brand spanking new t3/t4 doesn't spin manually nearly as easy. Loose bearings spin easy. Since you've checked oil flow, I wouldn't worry about it unless there's excessive bearing play.

For comparison, here's oil flow w/o restrictor on a t3 center section:

and a manual spin on the same turbo with excessive bearing play:
Old 04-27-2008, 02:22 PM

Total Cats: 2

who did the rebuild. it looks too stiff. it stops too suddenly for my opinion. maybe a break in would fix that. mine always spun on idle even when it was rebuilt.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by musanovic
who did the rebuild. it looks too stiff. it stops too suddenly for my opinion. maybe a break in would fix that. mine always spun on idle even when it was rebuilt.
mine too...
Old 04-27-2008, 06:09 PM

it should spin at idle, it should even spin for a few seconds after the motor is shut off. my bb turbo spins almost for a minute after the engin is shut off.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Elite Member

looks kinda tight ... maybe try revving it up for a minute or two to see if it loosens up a bit.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:00 PM

Total Cats: -2

That wheel stops a bit too fast...I would just keep an eye on it after some more runs and see if it loosens up...and yes it should spin at idle.

Spin it by hand and see if it's binding, or it's just tight. If it's tight it will loosen up and everything will be alright. If it's binding then the shaft is most likely bent..not good.

Tony
Old 04-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Boost Pope

Total Cats: 6,587

It does seem to be spinning down a bit quickly. Mine spins freely at idle when the oil is hot. When it's cold, it spins only if you rev it. However I seem to recall that it does not stop quite that fast.

But I'd +1 what's already been said. If it feels tight, but it not binding in any one spot, then run it and see if it loosens up.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Joe Perez
It does seem to be spinning down a bit quickly. Mine spins freely at idle when the oil is hot. When it's cold, it spins only if you rev it. However I seem to recall that it does not stop quite that fast.

But I'd +1 what's already been said. If it feels tight, but it not binding in any one spot, then run it and see if it loosens up.
Its not binding, just tight.

I guess ill run it and see what happens. No point in taking it off for no reason.

Originally Posted by mrtonyg
That wheel stops a bit too fast...I would just keep an eye on it after some more runs and see if it loosens up...and yes it should spin at idle.

Spin it by hand and see if it's binding, or it's just tight. If it's tight it will loosen up and everything will be alright. If it's binding then the shaft is most likely bent..not good.

Tony
Its definitely not binding but when it was out of the car it was much looser. After that first start up it became tight.

Originally Posted by musanovic
From what I remember, I think summit racing. Thats what the person told me that I got it from.

----

M2cupcar, thanks to your video on youtube I was able to tell if my oil flow was sufficient.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:14 PM

Total Cats: 2

if someone used chap parts to rebuild the turbo than it may cause the problem. is it a new shaft? give it a little time but don't wait too long it may damage the shaft completely and it is not cheap to buy one.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:12 AM

Let the oil come up to temperature and see what it does. When mine was newly rebuilt it was stationary at idle when the oil was cold, but would keep spinning once the oil was hot.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Elite Member

Damn I hope you guys are right. When I first got the turbo I put some oil in it for storage and it would easily spin in my hands. Even felt a bit of shaft play, after the first start up I cant feel any shaft play and its hard to turn with my fingers. This is what got me worrying. I dont know if it has to do with the fact that it now has engine oil in it and not clean stuff from the bottle.

I dont know if its binding or not, doesnt seem to be and if it is its somewhere inside the thing.

I am also concerned about oil flow. Yes there is a steady stream at idle(not as much as m2cup has though and I didnt rev to see if it increases) Tell me if I understand correctly. The newer the bearings the tougher it is for oil to flow through them because of clearances. Thats really the only idea I can come up with.

Can over tightening the turbine housing bolts cause this kind of problem?

Last edited by Saml01; 05-06-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 5

Originally Posted by Saml01

Can over tightening the turbine housing bolts cause this kind of problem?
Shouldnt, in sam's t25 rebuild for newbs thread he said he tightened it as tight as he possibly could, i did the same.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Elite Member

I ran the car today for a bit longer then before and it seems to have loosened it up.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 372
Thumbs up for reference

Brand new t3/t4 on a 2.0L at idle with slight revs. I thought it was tight... but that was compared to my last used turbo, so maybe it's just right. Spins fine.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Elite Member

I have been driving my car for two weeks now and still didn't take my intake off to look at it. I probably should, ill let you guys know.