General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

*sigh* Someone talk me out of this..

Old 09-16-2008, 10:35 PM

Total Cats: 0
Default *sigh* Someone talk me out of this..

I have been thinking about parting out my entire drivetrain and going LSX. The prices for mount kits are cheap enough now that it is a more realistic swap compared to what it was when I went turbo two years ago. I am at the point in my turbo build that the next step is internals/head work, but it really isn't appealing to me anymore. I barely even drive the car as is, I have it running good now but something about it just isn't what it was a year ago.

Parting out the drive train should cover the costs of the RL kit, leaving me in need of an engine/trans/ecu/wiring/clutch/cooling/misc that I would estimate at 4-5k if I sit on my *** and wait for really good deals to come around. This would also mean a year down time, given that I am a full time student, and my "projects" income isn't what it used to be since going back to school.

I am not to the point of a parts list feeler just yet, I am still trying to figure out what I want to do. Just wanted go get some outside input.

I know what 95% of the answers will be given this is miataturbo.net
Old 09-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 2

I can't bring myself to take take apart my gutted turbo car to have the manifold coated cuz of the week or so down time even though I have another turbo miata that I drive 90% of the time. I don't think I could make it a year. Would be sweet to have an lsx powered Miata though.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:00 PM

nothing to be talked out of.

I'd love to do it myself
Old 09-16-2008, 11:39 PM

Total Cats: 14

lsx is too much really. A turbocharged 4.6 rover V8, that's something that rocks my boat. Since the engine is lighter than the stock miata engine, you actually improve the weight distribution unlike with a normal v8. They're dirt cheap to find, and with a Tremec T5, its fairly close ratio. Easy 400 to 500 whp peak power. Would make for one WICKED track car.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 42

I'm not talking you out of ****. Do it.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:07 AM

That V8 would chew through the gas though! I like the power on demand and fuel economy the rest of the time. The best of both worlds kinda thing. I just got my precision I/C installed and it's like a different car. I think I'm gonna crank up the boost a little and see what else I can squeeze out of it. Mabey 20psi!!!

A V8 would be fun too though.Mad torque would make that thing scream out of the hole. Parts would be cheaper too, I bet. I guess it might be a tough choice. Anyone can put a big motor in and go fast but it takes some skill and know how to make a 4 popper do it. How about a rotary???

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision
Old 09-17-2008, 12:45 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 555

DO IT! God i wish i had the money and time to do this. Its on my list, one day..

If i were in the position i could, than i would
Old 09-17-2008, 01:02 AM

Paul, the downtime would be hard, but I survived a year of down time before, so I know it is possible.

I don't care about the gas mileage, like I said I rarely drive the car. It hasn't even seen 4k this year. Rotory is not an option, I have owned two RX7s, they are cool and interesting but not my thing. I just want something stupid simple that can be made stupid fast. So many cheap options for power, the LSX is like the B series of the domestic world lol.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:25 AM

Total Cats: 7

If your car doesn’t thrill you anymore, there is of course no need to hold back. Going to a LSX makes a lot of sense to me: Reliable, cheap parts and plenty of power. But I do strongly advice to watch over your money while you are studying. After all, if you are anything like the normal student, your economy will probably never be as tight as it is now.

But most importantly: Post pics if you do.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:33 AM
I'm Miserable!

I would drive the car as-is until after school is finished.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by lordrigamus
That V8 would chew through the gas though! I like the power on demand and fuel economy the rest of the time. The best of both worlds kinda thing. I just got my precision I/C installed and it's like a different car. I think I'm gonna crank up the boost a little and see what else I can squeeze out of it. Mabey 20psi!!!

A V8 would be fun too though.Mad torque would make that thing scream out of the hole. Parts would be cheaper too, I bet. I guess it might be a tough choice. Anyone can put a big motor in and go fast but it takes some skill and know how to make a 4 popper do it. How about a rotary???

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision

Talk about about gas mileage with a LSX and then talk about going rotary. Plenty of Vette owners getting 28 highway lugging in that super tall top gear. Plenty of rotary owners getting 18 mpg highway lugging in a 2700lb car
Old 09-17-2008, 09:30 AM

i was gonna do it also but im not gonna do it now

i want to see what i can get out of my set up
Old 09-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 6

Originally Posted by zoom2zoom
I would drive the car as-is until after school is finished.
Same here.

The ******* rape it.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 372

Sounds like it's more painful to NOT do it I'd take the LS swap over a turbo any day... budget and time permitting.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by naarleven
Talk about about gas mileage with a LSX and then talk about going rotary. Plenty of Vette owners getting 28 highway lugging in that super tall top gear. Plenty of rotary owners getting 18 mpg highway lugging in a 2700lb car
The last LSX RX7 guy I talked to got around 30 mpg. That's not exactly chewing through gas. As for the costs:

http://flyinmiata.com/V8/costs.php

That gives you a pretty good parts list and associated costs. It would be fun, but sure does add up.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 475

If you're in school, I say keep it turbo till you get out of school.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Elite Member

You don't have time for any of that while in school. And when you get out you'll be working so hard to recover from all the lack of pay while in school. You already barely drive it. And that is a fast miata. Your not going to drive the Ls any more than you drive it now. You always get used to the power in your car. Even if it is jet powered.

Before I tore the car down. I would buy the motor and tranny. After that, if you sold the parts and bought the kit it will be possible. Otherwise you will have all the parts to do the swap and no motor or tranny.

Keep school #1. You still have a hot rod.

Once out of school, that can be a present you give yourself.

Is it still like the picture. If so put a macco paint job on it. You'll like and drive it more. When my cars are dirty, I start looking at all the other cars forsale on the road.
Once it is clean inside and out. I love it again.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:48 AM

toddcod, the front is now krylon white but I do agree that the aestetics do have a small part in it, but I am painting it over winter and repairing the rust that I just poked a big *** hole in lol.

While it is not optimal nor necessarily the smartest decision to do it in school, I did pull it off while going to school full time two years ago, and that was with a 2.5hr daily round trip comute outside Chicago. (basically leave home at 745am get home at 12am having gotten a few hours in on the Miata.) it is a good point though, I never really had homework then, unlike now. And that **** kinda sucked.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Elite Member

School is a time to have fun and concentrate on getting good grades. After school there really is nothing else... so that's when you should pick up a car project. Seriously
Old 09-17-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Newbsauce
The last LSX RX7 guy I talked to got around 30 mpg. That's not exactly chewing through gas. As for the costs:

http://flyinmiata.com/V8/costs.php

That gives you a pretty good parts list and associated costs. It would be fun, but sure does add up.
Wow, I didn't realize you could get that kind of mileage from a V8. I guess anything is possible with fuel injection and the proper engine control. That makes me think twice about it.

The price is up there though. By the time you get all the parts, your spending a pretty good amount of cash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *sigh* Someone talk me out of this..