new FM kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 1
Default new FM kits

Check it out.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/turbos/index.php

They look nice. Worth the price? Not if you're a member of this site, and can make your own!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:35 PM
:(

Total Cats: 4

be kind they do make a heck or a comprehensive kit for people who odnt want to think about it also they will probably be carb oe soon another point for some people then you have there upgrade parts by themselves not to bad there is an inherent sticker shock for sure but they have done all the leg work for you and all you need to do is drop it in. Shows just how much all your head scratching and looking here is worth though.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 0

it's not really the price that i don't like, it's having to spend it all at once
Old 11-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Elite Member

It's decent,the BEGi kit is far better engineered with better parts.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:13 PM

I'd rather have a Begi also. Those silicone intercooler pipes look like a bad idea. I'd still rather have mine, for about $3000 less.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 1

If I had $5000 sitting around...

I'd probably invest it
Old 11-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Al Hounos
I'd rather have a Begi also. Those silicone intercooler pipes look like a bad idea. I'd still rather have mine, for about $3000 less.
I laugh every time I see those intercooler pipes.The only reason FM went with silicone intercooler pipes is to cut production costs down and put more money into their pockets.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:37 PM

The price point is pretty decent. Cheaper than the older kits. They will sell a ****-load of those Voodoo kits.

I don't really get who would want the Hydra ECU and give up OBDII. The BEGI kit with Xede seems to be a much more practical solution at emissions time.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Elite Member

The old turbo kits were deisinged and built by BEGI.There would be no way in hell Corky would ever send a turbo kit out the door with silicone turbo pipes and a ebay intercooler and have his company name and reputation on it.

The new FM kits are cheaper but you get what you pay for and nothing more.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by spike
I laugh every time I see those intercooler pipes.The only reason FM went with silicone intercooler pipes is to cut production costs down and put more money into their pockets.
My theory is that they engineered the new kits for mass production. The silicone is cheaper to mass produce, cheaper to ship (you don't even have to bubble wrap it, its ******* rubber!). I predict that by this time next year, the price of these kits will probably drop another $500, and FM will be laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Boost Czar

Total Cats: 4,079

I think the main problem with BEGi is they naver really had to do any marketing before. Good thing we are all here to help a bit. But they could sure throw some parts my way and I'd re-vamp that website into something more user-friendly and hardcore.

I understand FM took a while to make sure production stuff was perfect, but the kit itself isn't all that new and improved, it's mainly in the EMS. But it's still nice and at least the price point is lower. I agree they'll sell more voodoo kits than Stage 1 BEGi kits. Just cause of M.neters.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:37 AM
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat

Total Cats: 573

man you guys bag on FM. you know they're not a non-profit organization right?

I dont know that silicone hoses are any cheaper, but they sure are easier to deal with for an imperfect fit between a turbo and an intercooler. if I recall, silicone hose in mass produced STRAIGHT lengths is not cheap. steel pipes are DIRT cheap. custom silicone tubing in small (yes small, FM kits are not selling in the tens of thousands) quantities is probably hand made and expensive. It's an interesting solution to the piping problem--we'll see if it pans out to be a good solution too.

but damn. there's some FM directed bitterness up there.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 AM

Its a nice improvment over the old kit.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:19 AM

Total Cats: -1

Originally Posted by spike
It's decent,the BEGi kit is far better engineered with better parts.
Far better engineered? Hardly.

The kits use the same turbochargers, both divorce the wastegate gases in the downpipe, but have relatively short charge pipe runs to the intercoolers and both use horizontal-row 'coolers.

You'd never be able to tell the difference behind the wheel of either car; I'd put money on that.

That being said, I'd still rather have the BEGi kit, as I like the way quality, hand-made pieces look better. Silly reason, but it's true.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by retro
I don't really get who would want the Hydra ECU and give up OBDII.
Because people in Florida, Texas, and other states don't give a **** about OBDII and would rather have the greater power of the Hydra ECU to unlock the full potential of their cars?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 AM

a 90* coupler runs around $30,so there 1 big coupler wasent cheap.but its tacky looking,and looks like the stock rubber intercooler piping on many stock turbo cars.that you would take off and use real pipes.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:36 AM

Well, aesthetics are debatable, but what's not debatable is performance.

If the pipe works, who the heck cares how it looks? If it's my money, I want the best-performing pipe, regardless of looks. Just because it looks tacky to you, it doesn't mean the thing will perform anything like the rubber pipes on a factory turbo car. On the contrary, we know they won't, as they're made of silicon.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:24 AM
Elite Member

bripad lets just say that the FM kit is better than the BEGi kit(not a chance in the real world),I would still take the Bell kit over the FM kit cause I have my own reasons to be bitter with FM.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 399

Originally Posted by Al Hounos
I'd rather have a Begi also. Those silicone intercooler pipes look like a bad idea.
What happens if/when you slice one of those long silicone hoses with road debris/etc? I bet they charge a pretty penny for each.

Ehh more power to FM.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Boost Czar

Total Cats: 4,079

that's what silicone tape is for!

Quick Reply: new FM kits